all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Firming up Outer Chest

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dcp

Level 3 Valued Member
Good morning. Hope everyone is doing well despite the times.

I have this less than firm skin on the outer sides of my chest (appetizing yes?). I could stand to lose 2-3 pounds but weight is not the issue. I am 51...maybe that is it. I am training daily with KB's (S & S). Pullups and pushups throughout the day / alternating days. Sprint about 3x a week. Crawl 1-2 times a week.

Any thoughts on things I can / should do to firm up the outer chest?

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a good Sunday.

dcp

@dcp, if looking for chest muscles, bench press is usually a good choice.

Note that muscle mass gain is possible at your age - really at any age - but it gets harder the older you are, and losing muscle happens more easily the older you are, too.

-S-

Thanks guys....
I should have said in my note, but I do not have ready access to a bench press or dip station. I carry my KB's with me back and forth to NC where I work weekly. It is mainly the outer part of my chest heading back into the armpit area.
Thanks again for the replies...will consider some options

Thanks guys....
I should have said in my note, but I do not have ready access to a bench press or dip station. I carry my KB's with me back and forth to NC where I work weekly. It is mainly the outer part of my chest heading back into the armpit area.
Thanks again for the replies...will consider some options
From my personal experience of bodybuilding you either build the chest or you don't - you cannot focus on one area to develop. As such any exercise that works the chest will build muscle (Floor press with KB as an example)

You say BF isn't an issue so presume you are lean? Often people store fat in different areas and you can be lean in one area but carry fat elsewhere. The one sure fire way of dealing with it is get even leaner

Ab wheel rollouts can give your pecs a good workout if you do them right, trying to break the stick in half the entire time. And even if you don't current own one of those, they're inexpensive and portable. And needlessly to say, they're great ab exercise, too.

-S-

@dcp

Planks - Push-up position ....squeeze everything hard for sets of 10 seconds

Pushups - Normal, Wide, Narrow Grip; Normal, Fast, Slow Tempo; Low / High Volume; Hands on the deck, hands on a low table, Feet elevated.....the point is to mix it up

Dips - use a chair

Gymnastic ring push ups and flyes will work all the crazy stabilization muscles that have been neglected.

But they're hard and require a lot of core control.

FWIW, I'm 50 and do them.

Last edited:
There’s a lost art of kettlebell floor press. Supine position and simply press the kettlebell above.
By age 50, make sure the need for wider chest outweighs shoulder health issues.

There’s a lost art of kettlebell floor press. Supine position and simply press the kettlebell above.
By age 50, make sure the need for wider chest outweighs shoulder health issues.

The challenge I have with KB floor presses is that the load just isn't very heavy even when compared to a standard push up until you start moving some pretty heavy bells.

Basically, you need to be floor pressing >1/3 of bodyweight to use more load than a standard push up, even higher when compared to more difficult push ups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom