all posts post new thread

Kettlebell First 48kg get-up... thank you strongfirst !

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matthieu

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I take the opportunity of the release of s&s 2.0 for a short message about a goal achievement.
Last week was a great week for me : I did my first TGU with the 48 kg bell (and really enjoy that !). That was my goal for the summer 2020, and finally that happens earlier than I think.

My bodyweight is 68 kg, with long arms and very long legs related to my height, so not really built like a powerlifter, and I remember that I was already happy to hit the simple standards at the TGU in 2017. The 48 kg bell was just a kind of hope.
At almost 37 years old (not so old), I’ve got 3 young children, a family life, a job, I give somme bjj classes and I’ve never been so strong (not so strong compare to our beast tamers and iron maidens, but stronger than I thought possible)... and I have a very big progress margin.
So thank you to all the persons that give help on the forum, thanks Pavel and thanks strongfirst !

My training was 80% of s&s. Just some advises for the ones who struggle with TGU : read and re-read the articles on the blog (the articles of Pavel M., and « waving the load in s&s » were very useful for me), and, of course, get the instructions of a teacher (thanks Alexey, in my case !).

Maybe, the sinister goals for my 42… 5 years, that sounds reasonable…
Thanks you again.

Well done!

My body type and weight are as yours so it’s even more inspiring. I had my 40kg lately, looking forward to follow your steps some day.

If 80% of your training is S&S, can you share some more about the rest? Did you follow directly from Simple to Sinister training or rather take a detour as prescribed by the updated book?

How are your swings and other lifts doing?

Last edited:
Concerning the rest, I followed Pavel M advices and always take (almost) complete rests, except the test days, maybe once a month (I reached the simple goals but not the solid goals - I need 10 minutes to do my 100 swings, and at least 16 minutes to do my 10 get-up-). I trained 4 times per week, not because I am a precursor, but because I have a family life, plus a bjj practice... a more frequent training would have lead to :
a- overtraining
and/or
b- a divorce

I took two detours : last year to prepare the certification, and this year from april to august (with pressing programs), because one of my goals was to be able to press 32kg with my two arms before continue s&s.

Something strange : today, I "lost" the gains on the press (yet I try to keep the groove doing a few presses (2 x 3-4 rep 3 times a week, before my sessions). I imagine - and hope - my press strength would come back rapidly with a specific program.
I can't press the 32kg (my 1 rm today is certainly 30 kg) thus I can do a TGU with 48kg. I thought that the carryover between the two lifts would have been more important, but not for me. Maybe my body structure can explain some things : long arms... hard press.

During my last training month, I waved the volume, as describe by Pavel T in his article. I take the same percentages but with a total volume of s&s corresponding to 4 session per week (and not 5 sessions, as described in the article). I kept the 10x10 design for the swings and just waved the TGU.
Sometime, during the high volume sessions, I took a 36 kg bell instead of the 40 kg because that became to hard. I really have the impression that this month with a waving load (and especially the high volume sessions) has "unlocked" something (after two years using the 40kg bell), more than my press program detour (that's just an impression).

Concerning the swing, I can do a crisp 10x10 EMOM, but I can't do a set of one arm swing with the 48kg bell. I progress, but I still need to progress.
Concerning the other lifts, I practice them occasionally, to keep the skills and I can say that heavy one arm swings have a great impact on my snatch (that's not a scoop). I don't measure the progression and don't try to progress systematically (except the press and the snatch, only during my pressing program periods)... As we say in France, don't try to chase two hares at a time... the risk is to have nothing for dinner !

I hope this will serve...

Congrats on the 48 kg get up! Forme progressing to the 40 kg get up was very easy, but then the 48 felt extremely heavy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom