all posts post new thread

Kettlebell First kettlebell injury (update)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sirloin

Level 1 Valued Member
Greetings everyone,

Awhile ago I posted about my first kettlebell injury from doing one arm swings doing “Simple & Sinister” with a 16 kg kettlebell. I took a month long break after feeling the sensation of pulling a muscle in the lower left of my back. I have done Pavel’s RKC program minimum on and off in the past and purchased “Simple & Sinister” earlier this year on audiobook and Kindle editions and was excited to finally implement his program. Someone suggested I post a video showing my form so I am including a link. Any suggestions and advice on form would be very much appreciated.

I have never experienced any injury with kettlebell swings before and have done swings with the same kettlebell (16 kg) that I have been using for the RKC program minimum on and off for a few years. What was new to my body was doing these exercises 5-6 days a week and doing the 5 sets of get ups afterward would often leave me quite exhausted. It would take me between 15-20 minutes to do the 3 warm-up circuits often taking a fairly decent chunk of my energy, then followed by the kettlebell swings which was relatively easy and becoming easier (but took between 20-30 mins to complete) which is why it was a bit surprising that out all exercises i’ve done this was the one I experienced pain from. Then followed by the 5 sets of one get up for each arm taking about 20-25 minutes, repeated for 5-6 days.

My guess is that the back to back days and the longer workouts (RKC program minimums were about 20 mins including the warmup drills and the S&S program was about an hour) that may have caused my lower back muscle to give in, as well as poor form from not having done kettlebell exercises in a year. I’d love to hear any insight or suggestions. I am 41 years of age and have also put on 20 pounds recently, not sure if that might have anything to do with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, you guys rock

My recommendations— look at it as a practice. For now the warm up is your “workout” as it is leaving you gassed. My guess is 2 weeks the warm up will be easy and in the meantime you can practice these drills and eventually build to the 10x10 swings.

1. You would do well to practice the hike pass and short stop drills from the S&S book.
2. practice the hinge/deadlift with the kettlebell. You may increase this weight. Focus on keeping
3. Do several short sets of swings. Play “chicken” with the kettlebell (ie delay the hinge—wait until your arms touch your side to hinge). My guess is that was caused your back discomfort.

You will get better advice from actual SFGs, but that’s my $0.02.

Also, turn off the music for your next video!

First: STOP LOOKING AT THE CAMERA. That is a very likely way to hurt yourself, especially when you are using your left hand and looking to the right. You should always be facing straight ahead.

Your swings are loose, with no tension. You are lifting the bell with your arms: combined with your lack of tension, that is your back's likely culprit.

Concentrate on throwing the bell forward with your hips. You should snap!! your hips and your finish position should be a standing plank, your body fully tensed. For one arm swings concentrate on squaring your shoulders. Just imagine "checking" someone, as in hockey, with your non/kettlebell shoulder.

SAFETY TIP: when finishing the getup bring your off hand up to the kettlebell and with two hands bring it down to your chest area. Also, do NOT "slide" your off hand back, but come down to the elbow and then lie down. Sliding your arm back with the kettlebell overhead is very dangerous and will certainly result in the bell smashing you in the face. Stay tight throughout the movement.

Think of your body as a structure supporting the kettlebell. When you are going up and down, concentrate on your supporting hand being closer in to your body. Just hinge your hip and come straight down to where your hand is next to your knee, rather than reaching back and compromising said "structure."

I know I'm using a lot of bold print and italics but that sliding arm is setting you up for something much worse than a strained back muscle.

I suggest you get with an SFG and get some immediate feedback. You will be amazed at how different each movement feels and also at the progress you will quickly make!!

I'm sure that I missed some obvious things but others will chime in.

Strength to you, sirloin!!

First: STOP LOOKING AT THE CAMERA. That is a very likely way to hurt yourself, especially when you are using your left hand and looking to the right. You should always be facing straight ahead.

Your swings are loose, with no tension. You are lifting the bell with your arms: combined with your lack of tension, that is your back's likely culprit.

Concentrate on throwing the bell forward with your hips. You should snap!! your hips and your finish position should be a standing plank, your body fully tensed. For one arm swings concentrate on squaring your shoulders. Just imagine "checking" someone, as in hockey, with your non/kettlebell shoulder.

SAFETY TIP: when finishing the getup bring your off hand up to the kettlebell and with two hands bring it down to your chest area. Also, do NOT "slide" your off hand back, but come down to the elbow and then lie down. Sliding your arm back with the kettlebell overhead is very dangerous and will certainly result in the bell smashing you in the face. Stay tight throughout the movement.

Think of your body as a structure supporting the kettlebell. When you are going up and down, concentrate on your supporting hand being closer in to your body. Just hinge your hip and come straight down to where your hand is next to your knee, rather than reaching back and compromising said "structure."

I know I'm using a lot of bold print and italics but that sliding arm is setting you up for something much worse than a strained back muscle.

I suggest you get with an SFG and get some immediate feedback. You will be amazed at how different each movement feels and also at the progress you will quickly make!!

I'm sure that I missed some obvious things but others will chime in.

Strength to you, sirloin!!
What WH said, and watch.

This form correction has been a major game changer for me. I didn’t realize how much I was influencing my arm to move and control the kettlebell, I always assumed I was just “guiding” it’s orbit as Pavel has mentioned in his earlier books. Thank you North, Don & WxHerk! I also will be meeting with a SF instructor in LA this month, super exited.

Forgot to ask in my earlier post, if the kettlebell is hitting my glutes, is this because of something form related? Even being cognizant and purposely “playing chicken” allowing my arms to come into contact with my rib cage the kettlebell still hits me on the behind. Am I not hinging back/low enough? Your help has been a game changer

Last edited:
Forgot to ask in my earlier post, if the kettlebell is hitting my glutes, is this because of something form related? Even being cognizant and purposely “playing chicken” allowing my arms to come into contact with my rib cage the kettlebell still hits me on the behind. Am I not hinging back/low enough? Your help has been a game changer
For me if I hit my a s s with the bell it's because I hinged too early. Instead of catching the weight with my hinge it just flops into my hinge whipping me in the booty.

For me if I hit my a s s with the bell it's because I hinged too early. Instead of catching the weight with my hinge it just flops into my hinge whipping me in the booty.
For me it just seems as if my arms coming into contact with my belly (i’ve gained about 20 pounds this year so it’s increased in size) is what is causing my arm to bend back and causes the kettlebell to hit my glutes. Even when i’m being careful not to hinge too early….

For me it just seems as if my arms coming into contact with my belly (i’ve gained about 20 pounds this year so it’s increased in size) is what is causing my arm to bend back and causes the kettlebell to hit my glutes. Even when i’m being careful not to hinge too early….
I mean, hell, you could be hinging too far back, or waiting just that split second too long before snapping your hips forward/driving into the floor. If your hinge stops, the bell is just going to keep going. I always just get the clue that something is off with my timing when it happens to me, or something is off with my catch in the hole.
I'd say find an sfg near you and cut to the chase. The alternative is a long time being taught with a big stick that can injure you.

Try waiting longer before initiating the next rep, I had a similar issue with not sitting for enough back into the hinge and trying to rip the bell into the next swing before the back swing had finished.

A cue that helped a bit was imagine there is a basket behind your legs and you are guiding the bell in and out of it. Not sure where I got it from so YMMV.

Also, make sure you don't neglect the QL stretches Pavel advocates, I find if skip them a few sessions in a row my low back complains, so I don't miss them anymore.

Also, make sure you don't neglect the QL stretches Pavel advocates, I find if skip them a few sessions in a row my low back complains, so I don't miss them anymore.

People are so different.

I stopped doing QL stretches because they don't do anything for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom