all posts post new thread

Kettlebell First post and form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris D

Level 2 Valued Member
I’ve been a long time lurker and finally decided to join. A brief a history on me - 47 year old male, 6’1 and 215lbs. I’ve got a long training background between sports (wrestling, MMA, and football) and 19 years in the military (Ranger and SOF). I’ve also got the wear and tear to go with that. I have chronic issues with a reconstructed shoulder, SI joint and arthritic knees, wrists and shoulders. Despite that I am doing OK for a guy my age.

Right now I am in a strength maintenance phase as I have a new born on the way in the next week. I want to improve my conditioning through running and kettlebell work. I’m comfortable with running, I’m at a 9:40 1.5 mile and 22 minute 5k. I think I can shave some time but I want to avoid additional running mileage by increasing my KB volume.

To that end, I’m looking for feedback on my swing and snatch form. I want to make adjustments now and get them solid before ramping up volume.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Chris

Hi @Chris D
Welcome to StrongFirst.

You have a good hip hinge when you pick the bell but you don't seem to be applying it to those move when you're swinging the bell.

You need to hinge more at the bottom of the swing and snatch and get a better snap as you initiate the upward thrust. The bell should float up by itself on the swing without needing you pull it up with your shoulders. It's similar with the snatch but you control the arc that bell moves through on the way up.

Some of the SFG's will chime in with some better cues but to me it seems like you're relying on too much upper body strength.

Hi @Chris D ! Thanks for posting a form check.

Not bad. You're making the bell move, and there's no safety problems. Therefore you're already better than most! ;)

As @Tarzan said, you're doing some work with your arms in both the swing and the snatch that should go to the hips. The goal with the StrongFirst/hardstyle form is to use the hinge/hips to make the bell move, and just guide it with the arms.

Also for for fully extended knees (tight legs) at the top. Snap your knees and hips to extension to get that power to propel the bell.

Hope that helps. And congratulations on the newborn on the way! Hope everything goes great.

Hello @Chris D! I'm just going to add a little thing I noticed during the lockout of your snatches. Your arm seems too angled and should be as vertical as possible. Compare your lockout position to Pavel's arm...

snatch.jpg

Keep up the good work!

After some adjustment, here is a swing form update.

Thanks again for input,
Chris

Looks great, Chris! Nice hinge and tension.

You are still lifting with your arms. See if you can relax your arms and shoulders and don't worry about how high the bell goes.

Thanks! I really try to keep my shoulders packed and it ends turning the swing into a front raise at the top. Way too obvious to just let them stop lower. I will admit to liking the shoulder warmup I got before pressing today.

Thanks! I really try to keep my shoulders packed and it ends turning the swing into a front raise at the top. Way too obvious to just let them stop lower. I will admit to liking the shoulder warmup I got before pressing today.
I think towel swings could be a good corrective drill for you:

Something I have never seen suggested, but I think would be good for you, is to limit swing height to navel/chest. Maybe that will prevent you using your arms to lift the bell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom