all posts post new thread

Kettlebell first time incorporating rowing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adachi

Level 7 Valued Member
So after some de-cluttering I've unearthed this water rower i bought used on craigslist some time ago.

I used to row daily for exercise when i first got it for about 3 months, but life with 3 little ones got in the way. Now that they're a bit older and I'm working from home I went to the trouble to spend a week or so to incrementally pull it out and row during lunch the other day.

I set the timer for 30 minutes and intended to row as slowly as i needed so that I felt as though i could keep doing it approximately forever. I got almost 6000 meters out of it. I have no reference for what level of rowing proficiency this might be. I'll hope that these numbers move in the desired direction over time, and try to maintain a LSD addition to my training this way since i still need to be in close proximity to the kids.
this was after a usual S&S session.

after experiencing some unusual soreness yesterday and taking the day off - i'm considering alternating days instead of combining rowing and s&s on the same day.

row.jpg

Rowing on your off days is definitely a good idea while you are reintroducing it into your program. You will need to increase your work capacity before you can effectively do both on the same day.

I set the timer for 30 minutes and intended to row as slowly as i needed so that I felt as though i could keep doing it approximately forever. I got almost 6000 meters out of it. I have no reference for what level of rowing proficiency this might be.

A common measurement is the 500 m split time.

A competitive grade rower will have a 500 m split time below 1:45 or so.

A proficient and conditioned amateur will be in the 2:00 - 2:15 range. This is all general without adjusting for height, weight, age.

I usually do 10k rows in about 40-something minutes.

Your 500m split time is about 2:30.

For power endurance, the 2000m row is the gold standard. the 500m and 10k measure power/endurance and are very useful as well.

A common measurement is the 500 m split time.

A competitive grade rower will have a 500 m split time below 1:45 or so.

A proficient and conditioned amateur will be in the 2:00 - 2:15 range. This is all general without adjusting for height, weight, age.

I usually do 10k rows in about 40-something minutes.

Your 500m split time is about 2:30.
Interesting. I'm sure I'll improve. i note that this is a water Rower- and the tank is filled to the max line level. I've been doing daily swings - i'm not sure how much rowing i want to add in, if it crowds out my swinging days. i'll think about that another time.

Its worth noting that when most people refer to 500m split times then they are referring to the Concept2 rowing machine, not the Water Rower. The Water Rower is a decent machine but you cant compare times with that to the Concept2. Also worth noting that the Concept2 is calibrated so a 500m split of say 2:00 on one machine is exactly the same as pulling 2:00 splits on another (subject to being reasonably maintained of course). I am not sure this is the case with the Water Rower. Either way, if your split increases/improves on the Water Rower then you are getting more efficient and fitter so its all good.

I am a big fan of both the Concept2 rower and kettlebells. A great recipe for high levels of fitness and well being.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom