all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Flexibility/Mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael Scott

Level 7 Valued Member
After @Steve W. explained how to stretch your hamstrings in a new fashion, I took it to my rugby team for an additional stretch. I had two younger guys touch their toes for the first time. I also got closer than I have in years. I will be adding that stretch to my tool kit. Thank you sir.

Of course, when they asked me for additional stretching/mobility training, I showed them the T-Spine 1 drills that @Anna C was gracious enough to share. They also were quite effective for some younger athletes that had not done them before.

Now, as the coach, they are asking me for more flexibility training. Since I am not the most mobile, and far from the most knowledgeable, I am asking for some assistance or guidance on where to go for good information. All assistance is greatly appreciated.

After @Steve W. explained how to stretch your hamstrings in a new fashion, I took it to my rugby team for an additional stretch. I had two younger guys touch their toes for the first time. I also got closer than I have in years. I will be adding that stretch to my tool kit. Thank you sir.

Of course, when they asked me for additional stretching/mobility training, I showed them the T-Spine 1 drills that @Anna C was gracious enough to share. They also were quite effective for some younger athletes that had not done them before.

Now, as the coach, they are asking me for more flexibility training. Since I am not the most mobile, and far from the most knowledgeable, I am asking for some assistance or guidance on where to go for good information. All assistance is greatly appreciated.
Mark Verstegen. His book(s) and approach got me into the whole functional/movement prep/pillar/core thing 10 years ago. He worked with the German soccer team quite successfully.

@Michael Scott
You're welcome. I'm glad that hamstring stretch helped. It's one that I've found almost universally successful for people with average or below toe touch ROM. Unfortunately, I haven't found many others that are as universally high bang for the buck. I posted the following on a previous thread:

In my opinion and experience, the key to any mobility routine, especially a minimal, time-efficient one, is individualization. You have to experiment to find those big bang for the buck drills that produce results for YOU. That takes time, effort and attention, but once you zero in on YOUR toolbox, you will be able to get the job done much more efficiently and effectively.

I know there are lots of drills that others recommend and swear by, that are mostly a waste of time for me. And the drills I get a lot out of may not be effective for you.

My personal go to drills come from a variety of sources, and that's part of the process as well, seeking out different stuff to try, and test driving it.

Identifying your particular issues can be helpful, but I think it's more important to experiment with moves and see what happens. The body is one piece, and sometimes a move that doesn't seem to directly address a problem area has surprising effects, and can often make a more dramatic difference than drills that SEEM more directly targeted.

@Steve W. - I'd appreciate if you could point out where your ham stretch is on the forum.

@Steve Freides - at the Flexible Steel workshop is the focus mostly on splits, or does it address flexibility more broadly?

Thanks, Michael

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom