all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Floor Mat Thickness

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PaulH

Level 1 Valued Member
Is there any disadvantage to down swings and TGUs on 1-1/4" thick MMA type mats vs a thinner harder type mat? I've read that wearing squishy type athletic shoes was bad for doing swings so didn't know if that also applied the flooring surface. The mats I have a pretty dense foam.

I ask because I setting up a new work out area which will be multi-use with a Wavemaster for striking, BJJ solo drills, of course my kettlebell practice. I can either setup the area with 2 5'x10' Dollamur mats that are 1-1/4" thick, which would be ideal for striking and BJJ practice, or use a single 5'x10' mat and then a thinner mat on the rest of the floor for kettlebell work.

Is there any disadvantage to down swings and TGUs on 1-1/4" thick MMA type mats vs a thinner harder type mat? I've read that wearing squishy type athletic shoes was bad for doing swings so didn't know if that also applied the flooring surface. The mats I have a pretty dense foam.

I ask because I setting up a new work out area which will be multi-use with a Wavemaster for striking, BJJ solo drills, of course my kettlebell practice. I can either setup the area with 2 5'x10' Dollamur mats that are 1-1/4" thick, which would be ideal for striking and BJJ practice, or use a single 5'x10' mat and then a thinner mat on the rest of the floor for kettlebell work.

Thinner is better for KB work. For TGU sth that is not slippery is quite important as well, I would prefer hurting my knees a bit than a slippery surface. Best.

I always stand on hard surfaces for all type of KB work. However, I often place my bells on a softer surface, to protect the floor and the bells.

For TGUs I use a small puzzle mat, that I place below my arm pit of the base arm in the starting position. I will then place my base knee on it during the lunging part.

I have a 6 x 4’ x 18mm thick Arkmat (stable mat), that is brilliant, thick enough to offer god floor protection, but not too thick or soft to be unstable.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll split my floor in half and run a 5x10 mat for my MMA type work and put down some hard rubber mats for my kettlebell work. I did my bag workout on a 5x10 mat yesterday and it worked out fine. Wasn't able to move around the bag as much as I was used to, but nothing I can't adapt to.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom