all posts post new thread

Barbell Floor press (enough)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kb02

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey guys is doing floor press as in PTTP enough range of motion to build upper body.

Is an OK exercise, especially if rehabbing the shoulder or dialing in on a specific ROM issue.

Overall I find it to be inferior to pushup variations, dips, or plain old incline bench press.

Is an OK exercise, especially if rehabbing the shoulder or dialing in on a specific ROM issue.

Overall I find it to be inferior to pushup variations, dips, or plain old incline bench press.
+1
Floor press is enough depth and excellent to learn bench pressing IMHO. You just can't go too deep :)
I love Dips for chest, but high risk for the shoulders. You can easily go too deep.

After having some shoulder and elbow issues, I think the floor press is a great staple. I now prefer to only train the extra range of motion sporadically with higher reps push-ups or low rep/volume bench press.

Great bench press specialized variety exercise.

I was considering a cycle of pttp Thanks for the input guys.

Since Pavel included the floor press as an option in PTTP, he obviously thought it was adequate for the purposes of the program.

But you can use whatever press you want.

One of the parameters of the program is that all you need is a barbell and plates, hence the side press and floor press instead of the bench press or MP (for which you would need a rack or to learn the clean, which is also outside the scope of the book). Kind of an arbitrary limitation and one you don't need to follow.

Since Pavel included the floor press as an option in PTTP, he obviously thought it was adequate for the purposes of the program
You are absolutely right. Just thinking of the floor press instead of mp or sp for the sole reason of needing to BUILD upper body mainly chest since using kbs this seems to be under worked. If I was doing side or m press Id rather use kbs anyway due to the unique arc up. Thanks for the input.

Shoulder issues have had me replacing the bench press with the floor press for about 18 months now. Unlike the bench, the floor press is a pure press - there is no leg drive or stretch flex and the limited range of motion makes chest development inferior.

the limited range of motion makes chest development inferior
Not true IMO and possibly dependend on individual body types.
My chest definitely contracts a lot more during floor presses than during benching. It's the "starting from a dead stop"-part. My chest gives the initial impulse to start moving the weight and I can feel it contracting harder than when I bench.
I also got DOMS in the pecs from floor pressing, which never happened from benching. I know DOMS is not an indicator of a good workout, but it's a clear sign of which muscle got worked.

Two sidenotes:
1) The barbell bench press is not the allmighty chest builder most people believe it to be. The wide-grip flared elbows bodybuilder version is good for building the chest, but will 99% of the time result in rotator cuff issues.
The proper version is mostly triceps and shoulders with a little bit of chest. If chest mass is your goal you'll do better with dumbbell bench versions.
2) If you work up to floor pressing 225+ for reps and finish your press sessions with some pushup sets you won't have a bad looking or underdeveloped chest.

Plagiarism not allowed.
  1. The floor press is an upper body movement that allows you to press massive weights without undue shoulder stress.
  2. Floor presses negate leg drive, creating a pure upper-body push. All the stress is focused on the chest, triceps, and shoulders.
  3. The floor press can be programmed either as a max effort lift or dynamic movement. If using it as a dynamic movement, stick between 40% and 70% of 1RM with an emphasis on maximum bar speed.

1. The floor press is an upper body movement that allows you to press massive weights without undue shoulder stress.
  2. Floor presses negate leg drive, creating a pure upper-body push. All the stress is focused on the chest, triceps, and shoulders.
  3. The floor press can be programmed either as a max effort lift or dynamic movement. If using it as a dynamic movement, stick between 40% and 70% of 1RM with an emphasis on maximum bar speed.
Master the Floor Press | T Nation

Master the Floor Press | T Nation

@jane nair When you copy/paste someone else's writing, please quote and cite your source.

Better yet, cite the source AND provide a link like @Chrisdavisjr did (if the source is online) because the source can benefit from traffic through the link more than people just reading the quoted material on another site.

Of course if you are critical of the material and DON'T want the source to benefit from the traffic, you can act accordingly.

I prepared for SFL Bench Press exclusively with the floor press since I'd sold my barbells two years before with my studio. Mind you, I didn't actually bench when I did have a barbell (Sorry Doc). After hitting the strength requirement, I have rectified my equipment shortage.

I think it's a great specialized variety move that can also help people train a close grip pushup, a good TGU set up and a stronger, more assertive yoga chaturanga.

I use the floor press as BP specialized variety every so often - but find that the need for a partner for the setup makes it a little less convenient for me.

After doing several months of 3-4x/week one-arm push-up practice (with a GTG day mixed in) to prep for SFB last year, my upper body felt stronger than ever... and my shoulders felt better as well. Having never dedicated that amount of time in the past to the OAPU, I was pretty blown away with the overall upper body development.

Having said that, there wasn't much carryover to the BP. In my experience, if you want to get better at the BP, you have to bench.

Hey guys is doing floor press as in PTTP enough range of motion to build upper body.

the problems I have with floor press is that it's very hard to get the lats to work well and they stabilize the shoulders. It's a great exercise but it can be problematic for wonky shoulders. Imo the ROM is fine for building upper body mass in the pecs, delts and tri's

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom