all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Floor Press on Get up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SimplySimpleNZ

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

I am currently using simple and sinister 2.0 and want to progress from the 32kg to 40kg.

As a way of background I have reached the simple goal a couple of times in the past (albeit it’s been a few years since then) and life got in the way so restarted for a 3rd time as it fits in time wise and I enjoy the program. I have PR’d either 40 a few times over the years but have never had it as my working weight.
If I am being totally honest solid is my goal as feel that it is attainable. Currently working in 40kg swings into my practice.

My question is that given I want the 40kg to be my new working weight rather than just a PR should I be floor pressing or using two hands to get into the starting position?

My thoughts are that the floor press is the may to go as would build extra muscle/strength that would be invaluable when the weight is overhead baring in mind that it is half my body weight. I thinking if I ever needed to bail then that extra strength might come in handy down the line or if I were to progress to any even bigger bell then it would also be useful.

Others may say you should do it two handed to focus on the actual lift and be ‘fresher’ whilst completing it.

I would appreciate ideas from those that have done this before as everyone would have this kind of sweet spot at some point due to diminishing returns.

Thanks for your time.

I would not recommend floor pressing on heavy sets as you are trying to work a heavier bell in. You run the risk of running out of steam on the way back down.

I don't think you need them, but if you wanted to try them then do them on the lighter sets that follow the heavy sets or just do straight floor presses after your getups. If you're not used to doing them, be prepared to. be a little sore before your next workout.

The fastest way I've found to progress get ups is just to do more of them. Usually by increasing days a week.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am currently using simple and sinister 2.0 and want to progress from the 32kg to 40kg.

As a way of background I have reached the simple goal a couple of times in the past (albeit it’s been a few years since then) and life got in the way so restarted for a 3rd time as it fits in time wise and I enjoy the program. I have PR’d either 40 a few times over the years but have never had it as my working weight.
If I am being totally honest solid is my goal as feel that it is attainable. Currently working in 40kg swings into my practice.

My question is that given I want the 40kg to be my new working weight rather than just a PR should I be floor pressing or using two hands to get into the starting position?

My thoughts are that the floor press is the may to go as would build extra muscle/strength that would be invaluable when the weight is overhead baring in mind that it is half my body weight. I thinking if I ever needed to bail then that extra strength might come in handy down the line or if I were to progress to any even bigger bell then it would also be useful.

Others may say you should do it two handed to focus on the actual lift and be ‘fresher’ whilst completing it.

I would appreciate ideas from those that have done this before as everyone would have this kind of sweet spot at some point due to diminishing returns.

Thanks for your time.
"Safety is a part of, not the opposite of, performance." It is always a good practice to use both hands and guide the bell into the starting position. You have 40kg floating over your face. There is no award for who can floor press the bell and who can't. Use two hands when practicing the getup and floor press when you are practicing floor pressing. All the best.

Good advice from @Papa Georgio and @natewhite39.

From my experience I try to add those only when most of my reps are with the bigger bell. Although I was advising everyone to do it before I started using 40kg. I had fell back on this with 40kg. My forearms and wrists don’t like the off center angle pressure of the bell on the bottom with this size.

Hi all,

Thanks for your time.

Just out of curiosity, how did you progress to timed Simple previously? Only using the 32kg bell?

I always start my Get Up with a floor press (L) Also 40's and 48's. Recently did S&S 2.0 from 32 to 40 in 20 weeks, every single Get Up had a floor press. Then I fell down the stairs and broke two toes. ...Now I'm doing Rite Of Passage

Just out of curiosity, how did you progress to timed Simple previously? Only using the 32kg bell?

At the time I’d already been using kettlebells for a few years and done right of passage for presses with a 24 and ran Pat Flynn’s Prometheus Protocol with 24s a few times and with that got to a 40kg half body weight press so was pretty strong up top and getups weren’t a problem. Then just hammered the swing time down with mainly the 32.

Those days were pre kids so had a lot more time on my hands!! @Molson Definitely less strong now but would like to think I’m training smarter.

Thanks everyone for your insight. Have already been adding in doubles every so often to build volume. Will continue to press the 32 but get the 40 in the starting position any way possible. Found an old video and didn’t floor press back then either.

@Tjerr sorry to hear that.What bell have you started ROP on given you can floor press the 48? I’m guessing the 16 would be way too easy despite your toes?

My 2 cents.

I had a client with some stability issues, and so for him, in order to improve his cross-body connection, I would have him add 10 reps with the bell he just came from at the end of his sets. If he could floor press his working bell easily for his work sets, great! If not, no problem. He's progressed through and found that he's doing pretty well with both disciplines.

@Tjerr sorry to hear that.What bell have you started ROP on given you can floor press the 48? I’m guessing the 16 would be way too easy despite your toes?

I'm doing RoP with a 24 now. Last year I've completed it with a 28, with ~7 min rest between the ladders. Pressing a 32 is a sort of nemesis. The first time I pressed it, was about 3 or four years ago. But I've never been able to more than 3 reps.

I figured I maybe need a little more hypertrophy based training, after reading ETK and RoTK again. So I'm using a 24, no rest between the rungs, just back to back presses and pull Up's. And 90s rest between the ladders. Now on week 5 (3x 1,2,3,4; 2x 1,2,3) and swings and snatches with a 24 as well.

My 2 cents.

I had a client with some stability issues, and so for him, in order to improve his cross-body connection, I would have him add 10 reps with the bell he just came from at the end of his sets. If he could floor press his working bell easily for his work sets, great! If not, no problem. He's progressed through and found that he's doing pretty well with both disciplines.

Thanks @piers that’s actually a great idea so will give it a go too.

I'm doing RoP with a 24 now. Last year I've completed it with a 28, with ~7 min rest between the ladders. Pressing a 32 is a sort of nemesis. The first time I pressed it, was about 3 or four years ago. But I've never been able to more than 3 reps.

I figured I maybe need a little more hypertrophy based training, after reading ETK and RoTK again. So I'm using a 24, no rest between the rungs, just back to back presses and pull Up's. And 90s rest between the ladders. Now on week 5 (3x 1,2,3,4; 2x 1,2,3) and swings and snatches with a 24 as well.

@Tjerr sounds like you are on the right track.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom