all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Flying with Kettlebells?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sean_kb

First Post
Anyone have experience doing air travel with kettlebells? I travel a lot for work and personal, considering taking one with me in some cases. Any experience anyone has had with this would be much appreciated. This would include how to pack, how heavy you’ve traveled with, security, domestic vs international, and whatever else you’ve encountered. Thank you.

Never done it myself. I nowadays dont use less than 24 kg on a frequent basis, so travelling with it would be very inconvenient.

In your position, I would consider travelling with a T- handle. Maybe converting it to a D- handle for 1 hand swings.

Anyone have experience doing air travel with kettlebells? I travel a lot for work and personal, considering taking one with me in some cases. Any experience anyone has had with this would be much appreciated. This would include how to pack, how heavy you’ve traveled with, security, domestic vs international, and whatever else you’ve encountered. Thank you.

i have traveled both domestically and internationally with a 24kg kettlebell in a backpack, not fun but works.. Most hotel gyms suck and I don’t have the time/energy to find a gym When I’m traveling..

Some of the international airports get funky but overall it’s not a problem, just some funny looks.. keep in mind you won’t be able to put it above the seats so it’ll have to fit underneath.. You could always gate check it..

Bowling ball bag. Fabulous af.
Assuming one could reinforce a bowling ball bag to be able to support a heavy kettlebell, one could really cause problems for a bellboy trying to carry one’s luggage.

If I recall, there was a backpack designed to carry kettlebells. I seen or read about it online. This was a few years ago.

Just notice that many airlines do not limit only the size of cabin luggage, but also the weight (usually to 8 or 10kg).

A blue ikea bag has a 55 pound weight limit, which suggests that one could load it up and use it for farmer carries. (I used an ikea bag in a farmer's carry to bring home some heavy plant pots yesterday.)
I have not used the kettlebells that one fills with water to give them weight, but I wonder about them.

They used to be OK as checked luggage - it's how people who bought them at the end of their certification brought them home. I can't say if that's still the case.

-S-

When training for my first cert, I went to Mexico for a week with a 24kg kettlebell in a bowling ball bag. I checked it. I wrapped it up in clothing and put two heavy stickers on it. I was charged extra (one way for some reason) for being over 50lb on Alaska, but it worked. I could have taken the 20kg to avoid the charge, but I needed my test weight with me!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom