all posts post new thread

Barbell Flywheel/Kbox Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TOGGS

Level 5 Valued Member
Just wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of, and or used one of these devices:

I stumbled upon them surfing the internet today and have never seen anything like this before.

Ben Bruno posts Kate Upton using it sometimes on his instagram. Doesn't interest me much (the flywheel).

The Westside belt squat though. Different story.

I gave up on the video after I heard "functional resistance training"

I believe Kenneth Jay uses something similar. KJ's (most recent) philosophy on resistance training is that power is more important than strength, so training should focus on developing power. The device he uses applies more resistance the harder you pull, hence developing power.

KJ knows his stuff when it comes to cardiovascular training but I don't agree with his views on resistance training. While power is it's own strength quality, it is dependent on strength. There's a reason why Olympic lifters do heavy squats, Romanian deadlifts, and push presses, just to name a few.

I Googled Kbox. Not even sure it's sold in the US, but it costs 2,190 euro, and that's for the "lite" version. That's over $2,500. For that money I could get a nice Olympic bar, bumper plates, and a lifting platform so I could drop the weights and train the Olympic lifts in my garage, which will do a h*ll of a lot more to develop power than this gadget.

I Googled Kbox. Not even sure it's sold in the US, but it costs 2,190 euro, and that's for the "lite" version. That's over $2,500. For that money I could get a nice Olympic bar, bumper plates, and a lifting platform so I could drop the weights and train the Olympic lifts in my garage, which will do a h*ll of a lot more to develop power than this gadget.

Yikes! Totally not worth it.

For that money I could get a nice Olympic bar, bumper plates, and a lifting platform so I could drop the weights and train the Olympic lifts in my garage
even two times if you go for DIY platforms and bars that are not in the price category of Eleiko and similar brands.

The device he uses applies more resistance the harder you pull, hence developing power.
I really have no idea how to do that. I could pull either hard and fast or soft and slow, but wouldn't know how to pull hard and slow.
In a deadlift for example that's easy, because even though you pull hard and fast the lift turns out slow because the resistance is there from the start.
I assume machines like that can't emulate a slow heavy lift like grinding out a deadlift, but I could be wrong...

I too googled that thing. Maybe it can have it's place in physical therapy. Also because it doesn't use gravity for resistance they say it's a good tool for astronauts in space. If that's true I can see it's value for space traveling (e.g. Mars expeditions or the astronauts stationed on the ISS). Otherwise the money is better spend elsewhere IMO.

Ben Bruno posts Kate Upton using it sometimes on his instagram.
I like Brunos approach to a lot of things. He has some celebs as clients and I really wonder whether or not he sometimes uses tools like that to keep them entertained, because they think it's "cool, new, state of the art equipment".
For PTs a lot of times it's not just only about results, but also about the clients experience and the same old 5x5 on the basic lifts can get really boring, especially for celebs who are often after the "new sh..t".

I really have no idea how to do that. I could pull either hard and fast or soft and slow, but wouldn't know how to pull hard and slow.

If you're really curious, about 3:00 minutes into this video he shows you how to transition from "gentle" to more intense. But I agree that this would be difficult to do. I respond best to "real weight."

I couldn't believe that when I was looking into it. You could equip one hell of a home gym for that kind of money. I can't help but think it is a gimmick. How many devices come and go while the staple barbell has outlasted every single one of them

I've heard of its use in track and field. Chris Korfist in particular is a sprint coach who has claimed good success with it. I heard him discuss it on a podcast, perhaps the Rugby Strength Coach podcast, although I've heard him on a few podcasts. I don't personally know any coaches who have used it, but I know a few who know someone else who has used it, and reportedly with good success. But there are probably less expensive paths to Rome, so to speak, for those who don't use it professionally within their "system."

I couldn't believe that when I was looking into it. You could equip one hell of a home gym for that kind of money. I can't help but think it is a gimmick. How many devices come and go while the staple barbell has outlasted every single one of them
For a private person yes, but think about PTs with a big gym (like the mentioned Ben Bruno). When you have a gym equipped with hundreds of dumbbells and KBs, 20+ barbells, tons of weight, 10+ power racks and platforms etc.
All together that's ten thousands maybe even into hundreds of thousands bucks. Spending another 3-4k on that thing isn't that much.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom