all posts post new thread

Old Forum FMS and a one legged snowboard racer.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EricKenyonSFG

Level 4 Valued Member
I have a new student, pro snowboarder and skateboarder Evan Strong. His left leg is gone just below the knee. Despite that he does very well in open competition. Any advice about doing the FMS on someone with missing parts?

Wow, sounds like this person moves pretty well to me.

When dealing with handicaps, you will have imbalances. There is just no way around it. The first step is to accept that fact - both student and trainer. Focus on what you can improve not what you never will.

The truth of the matter is this person's is able to produce more out of a fractional body what most people can do with a whole one.

We tested Evan on the FMS after the Olympics. He got an 11. Now improved to a 14. Yep, things are different. Sometimes we will run a test with and without his mechanical leg in place, to see what we get. The FMS seems to work just as well on him as "able-bodied" folks. FMS correctives are an indispensable part of Evan's daily training.

Awesome! But, it really doesn’t surprise me a bit though. You get your conscious mind out of the way, and it’s never a question of if but rather a question of when. You just don’t get to that gentleman’s level with mental hang-ups. This is just a great example of being strong first. :)

Eric
Sounds like you have things well in hand and are doing great.

Adjust where necessary and follow the principles

As part of my own studies (BTW I was born with multi physical "handicaps".) at what age did that gentleman lose the lower part of his leg? Was he already an athlete when it happened?

Evan was a pro skateboarder form age 14. Lost his leg in a car wreck at age 17. Began snowboarding at age 20. Made a swift rise to international status.

Here is a slick little video put together by Sports Illustrated:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=evan+strong+sports+illustrated&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Here is another put together by NBC:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=snowboarders+grit&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

AMESOME!!! I MEAN AWESOME!!! And it further proves my point thanks.

I haven't studied FMS for a few years (Sorry - OS guy) but isn't a perfect score 21? That kind of athlete was pretty close to a 21 before accident, and I'll bet any amount of money, he'll get back to that number - maybe shaving a point just to be save.
He is still a "whole athlete" in his subconscious mind. The submind is nothing more than a recorder and its 10 million x stronger than conscious mind. Its just a weak sissy thing.

Since its a recorder it only knows what its told when the recording button is on. If the recording button isn't on its like talking to a recorder with the button off. Hence the submind knows no difference between having a leg and not having a leg call phantom whatever - pain... Follow?

At any rate he's the same guy now as he was before the accident. Pretty much his brain doesn't know any different :)

Damn beautiful thing to witness

PS I'm not a doc of any kind. I study this stuff on my own as part of my journey.

Deep subjects Mike. We do phantom-y stuff like have Evan grab the ground with both feet while deadlifting and etc... Evan had some geniuses doing his re-hab. They really got him moving well.

More deep subjects: Evan was not a 21 before the accident. He was already collecting minor injuries, pain, dysfunction and compensations. We have rolled back many of those problems. Evan claims he moves much better now than before the accident.

Cool - not a trainer or doc, but I would not lose focus on upper part of leg. It still needs to make those movements.

And Dude - two words - Pro Skateboarder. I was born and raised with Pismo Beach as my backyard for 51 years. I've seen a few. they make the NFL look lie sissies.

He should be moving better. For one you balanced up his training (good job BTW) AND TWO now he has a point to prove that goes far beyond a pro skateboarder.

He's got the goods. Tell him to make it happen.

Tell him yourself Mike. Evan is very interested in talking with disabled athletes at all levels. Mention you are in correspondence with me.

One thing I've noticed about Evan: he always does what he says he will do. We are now in the execution of a seven year plan. Able-bodied Olympic team for 2018, gold at 2022. Also looking at the ascent of wave surfing as an Olympic sport.

I would love to. How would I get ahold of him? My email is kmdogs@yahoo.com.

FYI I was born with Cerebral Palsy, but I'm in no way handicapped bc of it. I've been an athlete my whole life. Still am. But bc of my CP I've done my fair share of studying on movements and the brain. What people tend not to realize (even docs) is CP is the symptom and a damaged brain is the cause. A lot of effort is applied to the symptom with no effect applied to the cause. Western med way of doing things.

Thanks

While a 21 is a "perfect score" it is neither the goal or "idea" of using the FMS
The idea is to simply set a baseline and identify pain or movement issues.

Yes, and I wish there was a baseline prior to accident to further help my studies. If you look at the footage of him as a kid and teen though, you get a pretty good idea. Now, based off of his genetic blueprint and how his submind interrupted that blueprint (many factors) he'll move right back to the baseline prior to accident. Submind is a powerful thing. We're all are in it 95% of our day. Our conscious mind is always off somewhere else. Are you thinking about driving when you're driving? Are you thinking about work or are you thinking about lunch? Follow?

Somewhere along my studies I heard Grey speak about his young daughter picking up a ball and her movements. They were "perfect". Keep in mind his daughter at that age was solely in her subnind. Kids up until the age of six are in complete download mode for their submind. They live in a fantasy world, and their conscious mind is not a factor. The way his daughter was reading her DNA blueprint was correct.

I've also heard Pavel somewhere along the lines speak about your muscles are long enough to make movements they just need to release. "Relax into the Stretch" maybe? At any rate it goes back to how the submind is reading movement. The submind tells the body to lock up and not to release.

I can go on for days with this. This science isn't new. It is referred to as quantum physics. If you want to help someone really move better, tap into their submind. This is referred to as epigenetics.

It works for many things. Mark Rif wrote an article on how some people just do not have what it takes to achieve in training. Well they do if you tap into their submind.

You have 3 forms of strength - mind, body and soul. All three must be strong first.

PS the reason quantum physics isn't studied more is bc big pharma can't make a pill for it. Your brain fixes problem. There's no money in it for them.

Oh, I understand that, but if you view the footage of Evan as a kid, and teen, look how well he moves.

It all comes down to the submind. Not conscious - submind. "Relax into the Stretch" This is your submind not releasing those muscles until they get tired. If someone has the potential to achieve a perfect score based off of genetic blueprint and how the submind reads it (many factors) then that should be the goal.

All this science is not new. Its called quantum physics. How things are change in submind is called epigenetics. Not mainstream bc big pharma can't make a pill for it. No money thrown at it.

3 sources of strength - mind, body, soul. All three must be strong first.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom