all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed FMS Certification

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Miguel

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello everyone,

Has anyone taken the On-Line version of the FMS cert? I imagine that it would have to be comparable, if not exact, when compared to a standard version, but does anyone know of any differences?

I have some time and cash (rare for me) and I wanted to knock out some certs while I still have the time. I could do my CPT now, but I can't "practice" while I am down here and actually taking the test at a Pearson Vue center is a logistical nightmare. Granted, I couldn't "use" the FMS down here either, but I think the information contained in that cert would be much more useful for me to know now and apply when compared to CPT stuff like how high off the floor windows should be at a gym.

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I did my level 1 online. I don't think you can do level II on line, but even if you can, don't. You get way more taking it in person.

I don't regret doing 1 online, but at the same time, you may miss out on certain things not learning in person. If you know nothing about it, do it in person. If you know quite a bit about the FMS, do it online. When I did my online I had read, re-read, re-read, and read Movement by Gray Cook, as well as reading and studying basically everything that had appeared on their site and Gray Cook's personal website blog. I knew the screen inside out, knew what I should be looking for, and had done it on my friends. If this is you, take it online. If not, do it in person. If I remember right, they might have a deal going right now if you do two at once.

Sorry for the double post but I should also add - even with the above, if I had done it in my hometown, I would have done both in person. It was a cost issue for me - I already was driving 6 hours, and doing 1 in person would have involved another night in a hotel, a couple hundred bucks more to do it in person compared to online, etc. Doing 1 online saved me the extra night and meals so it was more affordable for me.

For what its worth - I took it with Diane Vives and she was extremely knowledgeable, open to questions, and explained everything thoroughly that walking away I was confident in performing the test and prescribing correctives the next day. @Brett Jones

@Miguel I took FMSI cert online after administering it many times over the course of 3 years at my gym (Equinox). If you have prior experience then go with the online to at least learn the finer details and have the cert in case you decide to pursue level II.

@wespom9 , @natewhite39 ,

Perhaps I put the cart before the horse. Honestly I know virtually nothing about it other than having it administered to me a few times, some years back. With that said, I am very interested in learning more about it. And as I explained, I have the time now, after June, I will be very busy.

So where should I start? "Movement", by Gray Cook?

I don't have an option for "in person", I'm in Chile right now, hence the "online" version questions.

Also, how long did it take you to complete the online cert?

Thanks for your time, folks. I really appreciate the help here.

@natewhite39 , Sir, what part of L.A.?

Last edited:
@Miguel Resources:

*"Movement" - Awesome resource, very dense though and not easy to apply. Better as a reference book.

*FMS Handbook - once you sign up for the online course you will get this. Much more user friendly for day to day use and study.

*FMS website - sign up as a member and unlock all of the online articles and videos. Very comprehensive and will help you pass the online exam.

*YouTube - many videos available that will give you a visual reference for performing the movement screen and understand the methodology. Search for: FMS, Gray Cook, On Target Publications, Laree Draper, Brett Jones, or Lee Burton.

Last edited:
@natewhite39 ,

I'm registered on the FMS website, and I've got the online cert in my shopping cart.

I have a question about "Movement". I've moved over to an all digital library, would that book not translate well to Kindle?

I have no idea where Rancho Palos Verdes, my wife says its on the 405, towards Irvine. I'm from Oceanside. If we head back that way I will drive up there and shake your hand.

Thanks for your time, sir.

@Miguel I personally would rather have a reference like Movement as a physical book but if you prefer using the Kindle go for it. The newer model allows you to bookmark pages which would be helpful.

Yes, I am North of you but past Irvine....closer to Redondo Beach.
Cool, take care.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom