all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed FMS certified pros - Screen Changes

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
Wondering everyone's thoughts on the changes to the rotary stability screen!!
I've been doing the ankle mobility screen for a while now as part of the FMS (as I do the LQ/UQ MCS tests as well), so nothing new there for me. I have some upcoming screens for my baseball athletes that I'll be extremely interested in performing to see rotary stability scores. As the new video stated, catching issues here for rotational athletes could be a game changer in helping get that all important ability for those sports.

@Brett Jones are you allowed to give away some info on if there are changes to some of the correctives for the pattern, or any new correctives that help?

I got FMS levels 1 and 2 certified in November of last year, so not a long time of experience with the system. That being said I can only agree with the rationale for the changes. The old RS test was "clunky" with it being a different movement between the scores of 3 and 2.
I tested myself and scored a 1/1. On the previous version I'm 2/2, but I've known that I have issues with stability in quadruped and half kneeling stances. So out of that very low number of samples it sure appears that the new test is more sensitive.

I also had already started adding the ankle mobility screen for everyone. I'm happy it is now standard and pairing it up with the ILL makes the screen flow nicely.

I'll be auditing the FMS 1&2 in March and look forward to receiving hands on instruction on the new RS and reviewing everything now that I've used the screen for a while.

Please check the information sent to you via email from FMS regarding the changes and rationale for them.
ACCESS UPDATES NOW
In addition to updating FMS 1 Online, we've also created a quick reference guide for you to easily find and review the FMS changes.

The addition of the Ankle Clearing to the ILL allows us to catch and address ankle mobility or pain issues sooner which is very important.

the new RS is allowing us to catch more folks that need assistance in that area—for example at a recent FMS Level 1 we identified 5-6 more folks that needed RS work vs. just one with the old version.

There is also a video from Kyle Kiesel on the site for FMS Pros that does a great job of going through the rationale and process behind these improvements to the FMS.

I fell into that bucket as well, where I was easily a 2 beforehand but now a 1. Eye-opening for sure!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom