all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Foam roller

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rayhzel

Level 3 Valued Member
Because I used to run a lot (used to do 4 times a week, now I have dialed it back to 2, because I want to focus on strength more), I also used to foam roller a lot for recovery.

Now I use it for after my strength training as well for some extra recovery and it seems to work just nicely. In the past I always felt I never had time to use it properly, but this whole idea of SF about strength has gave me a lot of extra time for stuff like this.

Any others who use this tool? I am a big fan of Trigger Point Therapy and their other massage products.

I have used one some times. A physiotherapist once found a problem with fascia in my right shoulder. I have since been treating it, when necessary, with hard balls against a wall and a choice stretch. At the same time I tried out the foam roller with the shoulder and some other troublesome spots.

I find that therapy with rollers or balls helps me with certain kind of pain I rarely get after exercise. For regular soreness I prefer stretching.

I use a few types of balls/rollers for TP therapy... I have a foam roller, lacrosse ball, and an bigger ball called the supernova from Rogue. I usually only do this type of rolling at night before I go to bed and then I practice S&S in the morning right away.

Where can I find a few good Party approved resources on foam rolling? Ie how to and such.

I have saved this post from @Brett Jones (quote):

I'll try to keep this brief and on point...

Foam rolling is a valuable tool
it is not "self myofascial release" but it is highly proprioceptive (See Myers etc...)
it is not a great "trigger point" tool - it is too "blunt" of a tool but it will find tender spots and areas that need attention (talk to any myofascial therapist or clinician that treats trigger points)
it is not a "pain tolerance" experiment - if you push hard enough or use cement rolls everything will hurt and that is not the point and could be counterproductive - control your pressure so only the tender spots show up.

Foam rolling for me is a 3-5 min opportunity to "check in" with my body - see if there are any tender spots and move along to the rest of my movement prep
So do I use it almost every time I train - yes but 97.5% of the time it is a 3 min or under check in not a "self treatment"

Initially foam rolling will/can be intense on certain areas but this should decrease and go away so that the foam roller becomes a "check in" - as one of my clients told me the other day "hey that foam roller feels great now...."

A well structured training program should improve movement and have you feeling great - not beat up and sore and full of tender spots all the time. IF this is the case then you may want to re-evaluate your program IMO
You also have to factor in your lifestyle here. If you are a "desk jockey" or computer based worker you may have to overcome 8-10 hours of static sitting etc... in order to be ready to train and a foam roller may be more a part of your routine.

Foam rollers and other soft tissue tools can be an integral part of your routine and can be very effective. This is all individual based - some will need more (due to previous injury, peaking for a competition goal, etc.....) and some will need very little. Adjust to your needs but keep it in it's place as a "check in" and part of your movement prep etc....

@Pavel Macek, thank you for posting that and thanks @Brett Jones for posting it originally.

Another nugget within S&S is where Pavel refers to the formation of tissue micro trauma is 'don't let it happen in the first place', paraphrasing here, may not be those exact words. I move with more variety these days, do joint mobility and don't run as much, when and if I do, it's easy aerobic or sprints, no overworked glycolytic thrashing from either end of the spectrum. I very rarely use the torture tubes anymore and when I do its very much as Brett advocates, light check ins from time to time. I may take a day every couple of months, quick roll here and there, light stretch, that's it. I'm still as stiff as old board though! Maybe I need a bit more.....

Another nugget within S&S is where Pavel refers to the formation of tissue micro trauma is 'don't let it happen in the first place', paraphrasing here, may not be those exact words.
+1. And, IMHO, this is why everyone needs a "soft" practice as part of their regimen, something I feel like I mention pretty regularly here and will continue to mention because I think it's important. Soft practices could simply be meditation or they can be exercise-based, e.g., various kinds of qigong, tai chi, even internal martial arts can serve this function.

-S-

+1. And, IMHO, this is why everyone needs a "soft" practice as part of their regimen, something I feel like I mention pretty regularly here and will continue to mention because I think it's important. Soft practices could simply be meditation or they can be exercise-based, e.g., various kinds of qigong, tai chi, even internal martial arts can serve this function.

-S-

The hardest thing to do really IMO.
In the past I was always going max many times in the week. Now I see how I should really do it though.
I still have a hard time convincing myself I NEED to have those easy days though. I guess I am a bit of an addict....

I do 3-5min each of rocking, rolling, and crawling. Then hit my trouble spots with the "rumble roller" or a soft ball for 30-60 sec each.

I understand you should not roll cold.

Anyone try the "rumble roller" it's like a medieval torture device, but it really digs the knots out.

TISSUE QUALITY is one of the most overlooked aspect of training (right up there with sleep and regeneration).

You can't stretch beef jerky and you can't make beef jerky strong efficiently. If you neglect tissue quality you are working with beef jerky as your tissues. Quick self check like I've mentioned before - healthy tissue should be able to accept pressure. Imagine how bad a foam roller would feel after an intense leg day - that is NOT healthy tissue (at that particular point in time). The soft practices are good, but alone won't alter tissue quality. You can rock, roll, breath and crawl until you are blue in the face and it will do little to address tissue quality. BUT, dial down the beef jerkyness prior to any of that and it will make them all better.

Can you manage your tissue quality by yourself? Absolutley. But if you keep going back to a sticky IT Band you plan isn't working and it is time to find someone who knows what they are talking about. The beauty of soft tissue work- consistently working on your soft tissue quality will make every aspect of your training better.

@B.Hetzler , two questions if you don't mind... 1) Are you a fan of regular foam rollers, rumble rollers, and/or massage balls like "Yoga Tune-Up" type? 2) How do you know when to spend time on tissues? When they feel like they need it (feel a little sore or knotty), or when they feel good, and can accept a lot of pressure?

@Anna C - I'm a fan of whatever works for you and that you have access to - foam rollers, rumble rollers, beasty balls, lacross balls, barbells, kettlebells, the floor, etc. There is no excuse when it comes to equipment. You don't need a foam roll - in fact I rarely utilize the foam roll personally or with the people I lead.

Your second question is a bit tougher. The simple answer is if tissue hurts under pressure, work it out. The problem with that is that you could then spend an hour just on soft tissue. My rule of thumb - if I'm doing alot of lower body stuff I go after the hips and the ankles (Adductors, Quads, GLutes, gastroc/soleus, ant tib, etc) . Upper body intensive training has me targeting the T-spine and shoulders (erectors, QL, Lats, pecs, rectus abdominis). Keep in mind, those are very general guidelines. Personally, I know of 3 spots on me that tend to flair up - my right QL, my right lower leg, and my right Lat. As long as my training is balanced and I don't have to spend a lot of time in a car or plane they stay good.

How long to spend on a tender spots - 90 seconds minimum per spot. I usually cap it at 5-10 minutes at a time in order to keep from losing track of what my training session is targeted at that day. But, 3-5 minutes spread out over the day will be a HUGE help. I carry at least 1 lacross ball in each of my vehicles, and one is always with me wherever I go. Great for the posterior chain while sitting in traffic or on the open road.

I usually base how long I work a spot on its pain level. Go for a 50% reduction in pain, then move on.

Any spot will hurt with enough pressure. Gentle pressure shouldn't elicit a flinch response. If you flinch, pull away, or hold your breath under light pressure I believe we call that an indicator.

Great advice! That definitely helps. I like "Go for a 50% reduction in pain, then move on." I usually tend to do that and that seems to be mostly effective, but part of my mind wondered if I'm leaving the problem more likely to return.... like pulling a weed... if you don't pull the whole thing out, it just grows back. Spreading it out throughout the day also sounds good, and 90 sec and up to 5-10 min is a good guideline.

Thanks, and I will continue to spend quality time rolling around on my various soft tissue devices in my living room in the evenings. I don't want to be beef jerky. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom