Food and the SFG

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by Tim Swanson, Aug 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tim Swanson

Tim Swanson First Timer

Hey everyone,

I'm doing the SFG I cert this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice with regards to eating, both before/after the event and during.

I found this thread, which answered most of my questions around the logistics of the event itself.

But I'm also wondering if anyone has any specific advice on which foods to bring, or which foods to avoid. Dan John mentions here that "more than one candidate has failed over poor food choices." So I'm wondering what people consider to be a good eating strategy.

I'm currently preparing some baked chicken, rice, beans, and other things at home. My plan was to pack a lunch, at least on the first day, since I'm not familiar with the area where the cert if being held. I'd probably also want to pack some snacks.

I have no dietary restrictions.

Thanks!

2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Dir. of Community Engagement Senior Instructor

Food can really fail you in only a limited number of ways. If you're near a weight class limit that matters, food can put you over the line. If you don't eat enough, you can run out of energy. If you eat too much or food you're not used to, you can get an upset stomach.

I don't think people failing over poor food choices is generally a wide-spread problem at our instructor certifications. If more than one candidate has failed, OK, but I doubt that more than a few have.

-S-

WxHerk likes this.
  3. SuperGirevik

SuperGirevik More than 300 posts

Steve Freides likes this.
  4. rickyw

rickyw More than 500 posts

Eat what you usually eat and perform well on until you are satisfied, using your typical meal schedule.

WxHerk likes this.
  5. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Quadruple-Digit Post Count Certified Instructor

I was fed well by my hosts when I did the SFL in Vancouver last year..

Good thing I prepared well that I had the requisite strength to pass the standards 5 lbs heavier than originally predicted