all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Food and the SFG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tim Swanson

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey everyone,

I'm doing the SFG I cert this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice with regards to eating, both before/after the event and during.

I found this thread, which answered most of my questions around the logistics of the event itself.

But I'm also wondering if anyone has any specific advice on which foods to bring, or which foods to avoid. Dan John mentions here that "more than one candidate has failed over poor food choices." So I'm wondering what people consider to be a good eating strategy.

I'm currently preparing some baked chicken, rice, beans, and other things at home. My plan was to pack a lunch, at least on the first day, since I'm not familiar with the area where the cert if being held. I'd probably also want to pack some snacks.

I have no dietary restrictions.

Thanks!

that "more than one candidate has failed over poor food choices."
Food can really fail you in only a limited number of ways. If you're near a weight class limit that matters, food can put you over the line. If you don't eat enough, you can run out of energy. If you eat too much or food you're not used to, you can get an upset stomach.

I don't think people failing over poor food choices is generally a wide-spread problem at our instructor certifications. If more than one candidate has failed, OK, but I doubt that more than a few have.

-S-

Eat what you usually eat and perform well on until you are satisfied, using your typical meal schedule.

Food can really fail you in only a limited number of ways. If you're near a weight class limit that matters, food can put you over the line. If you don't eat enough, you can run out of energy. If you eat too much or food you're not used to, you can get an upset stomach.

I don't think people failing over poor food choices is generally a wide-spread problem at our instructor certifications. If more than one candidate has failed, OK, but I doubt that more than a few have.

-S-

I was fed well by my hosts when I did the SFL in Vancouver last year..

Good thing I prepared well that I had the requisite strength to pass the standards 5 lbs heavier than originally predicted

Thanks for the replies and welcomes, everyone!

I never followed up on this thread, but I did do the SFG back in August. I do have some thoughts on this issue, and wanted to share them here just in case someone comes upon this thread with questions similar to mine.

First and foremost, I do highly recommend bringing your own food. I did this, and was glad I did. More than anything, it gives you control.

First, it gives you control over your food choices. Depending on the options available to you in the immediate area, this might be more or less important in your case. I'm guessing the sorts of venues where the certs are held vary widely.

More importantly, however, it gives you control over your time. And this is essential. The cert runs on time; lateness is not tolerated. Breaks are short, and you get one hour for lunch. (And if you end up needing to do "bonus swings", you might not even have that.)

If you've got food options in the area that are close, fast, and high quality, then great. More than likely, though, you'll need to sacrifice on at least one of these dimensions. In my case, the only food within walking distance was a Burger King. Unless you're very familiar with what your options will be, I wouldn't leave this to chance.

As for food choices, it's mostly as people here said. Keep it simple, and bring foods you're used to. I brought chicken & rice, and steak & potatoes (dinner leftovers); and it was fine. Bring a little more than you think you'll need, and expect to eat less than that. Eat enough to keep yourself going, but don't overdo it. (You do not want to be over-full.) A few light snacks and some Gatorade or other sugary beverages are nice to have as well.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom