all posts post new thread

Barbell Food intake isn’t consistent

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

deadliftheavy500

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey everyone. I’m new to the forums. I’m 15, 5’9” @190 lbs with semi-visible abs. I previously ran Starting Strength and a month of 5/3/1, both of which have helped me massively in my quest for strength. My best lifts are:

Squat — 260 x 10
Deadlift — 300 x 8 (9th rep was hitched)
Bench — 185 x 4
Press — 135 x 1 (with a little more in the tank)

Video of Deadlift:

Video of Squat:

Unfortunately I don’t have video of the bench or press.

Now, my question is, recently my food intake hasn’t been consistent. I’ve also been extremely pressed for time lately due to studies, extracurriculars, and general responsibilities. When there’s an abundance of food in the house, I eat well, but sometimes I can’t get my hands on nearly enough food to build strength. This is also a problem because I don’t sleep nearly enough (~5 hours per night on weekdays). So...what program would you guys suggest I run? I’m at a loss here, if you guys could help me out that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

@adam80 is right.

Are you sure you couldn't snack during the day? Like have shakes, or milk, or sandwiches, or cured meat?

A nap during the day would also be great if you get the chance.

You've done well so far, keep it up.

@deadliftheavy500
Welcome to the forum.

What are your training goals? Are you training for a sport or something else?

Knowing this would help people better frame an answer to your question about what kind of program to run...

Not sure of your goals, I'm assuming size and strength. If your looking for a decent source of calories to keep your calories up grab a big bag of rice and a giant container of quick oats. Easy to make and store both and can be made in bulk. None of its junk and should help pack in calories. At 15 you more than likely have a decent metabolism so the calories from the extra carbs will probably be put to good use with your lifting.

Welcome to the forum!

This plan of Deadlift Singles & Get Ups can be done in 15-20 minutes.
Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst
How to Get Better at Everything by Training Multiple Get-Ups | StrongFirst

I am following the Vertical Diet, it's really easy, I spend 10 minutes per day cooking and it's cheap. This is a 2 hour seminar discussing things you can do outside the gym to improve your progress. There's a great quote at the beginning "the more tips & ticks you apply, the more disciplined you are, the stronger you get" - Stan Efferding

@adam80 is right.

Are you sure you couldn't snack during the day? Like have shakes, or milk, or sandwiches, or cured meat?

A nap during the day would also be great if you get the chance.

You've done well so far, keep it up.

Naps are impossible to get, haha. I've been snacking somewhat, but I can't afford that much food.

@deadliftheavy500
Welcome to the forum.

What are your training goals? Are you training for a sport or something else?

Knowing this would help people better frame an answer to your question about what kind of program to run...

I'm training to be able to do 20 pullups (overhand grip), and squat or deadlift 500 pounds. Those are just my personal goals.

Not sure of your goals, I'm assuming size and strength. If your looking for a decent source of calories to keep your calories up grab a big bag of rice and a giant container of quick oats. Easy to make and store both and can be made in bulk. None of its junk and should help pack in calories. At 15 you more than likely have a decent metabolism so the calories from the extra carbs will probably be put to good use with your lifting.

Thank you for the idea.

Welcome to the forum!

This plan of Deadlift Singles & Get Ups can be done in 15-20 minutes.
Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst
How to Get Better at Everything by Training Multiple Get-Ups | StrongFirst

I am following the Vertical Diet, it's really easy, I spend 10 minutes per day cooking and it's cheap. This is a 2 hour seminar discussing things you can do outside the gym to improve your progress. There's a great quote at the beginning "the more tips & ticks you apply, the more disciplined you are, the stronger you get" - Stan Efferding

I'll check that out, thank you.

Also, I got a hell of a lot weaker in 3 weeks, apparently. I squatted 300 x 1 for a grinder, and failed on the 2nd rep. I equaled my Press record, 135 x 1, and that was a grinder too.

Meal prep stuff every 4-3 days. Rice, Sweet potatoes, Beans all store well. also generally cheaper. OR don't worry about it. seriously dude your 15 your hormones are primed and ready to go for growth.

Sounds like you're doing good mate.

you've got a good program, a good selection of exercises

the only thing i would suggest to you is to get more sleep and slow your repetitions down

your eating not being consistent is pretty common at 15. I wouldn't overthink it too much, just realize that the more food you have the more your body will be able to recover and grow.

Sounds like you're doing good mate.

you've got a good program, a good selection of exercises

the only thing i would suggest to you is to get more sleep and slow your repetitions down

your eating not being consistent is pretty common at 15. I wouldn't overthink it too much, just realize that the more food you have the more your body will be able to recover and grow.

I want my eating to be consistent, but unfortunately funds don’t allow that for me right now haha.

Hey guys, is this actually a Pavel-approved program? This guy in the video has a super-impressive deadlift, but he declined to mention percentages for the 3 x 3.

Edit: I’d be running this in conjunction with shotput training/meets and the FPP (Fighter Pull-up Program).

Naps are impossible to get, haha. I've been snacking somewhat, but I can't afford that much food.

Do you have any money? Something like oats and whey aren't that expensive, but it is of course all relative. But finely ground oats with whey protein are something that stores together really well, and makes for a really nutritious drink with water. It's really simple, really cheap, really easy to move around and prepare and really good for you.

If money is really an issue and you need calories, you can get a large bag of rice for cheap, at least here in Canada, at Walmart of all places. I just saw 18 pounds of rice for 16$ (CAD), so a bit more than 10US$. Don't buy the small boxes, they are 2-5 times more expensive. You have to look for the biggest bag you can get your hands on as the price per pound then gets ridiculously low. Other places to look for cheap rice are Asian grocery stores, if there are any around where you live.

Just cook a huge pot of rice on Sunday and you are good to go for the week. To make it tastier, I add a bit of butter, salt and pepper.

Rice is a bit less than 1000 calories per uncooked pound. So, you would get more than 1000 calories per dollar, maybe close to 2000. This is hard to beat. Olive oil is also a good bargain at about 2000 calories per cup. If you buy a gallon of a reasonably good olive oil and soak your rice in it, you will get a lot of calories. Obviously, this is not a suggestion for your whole diet, but if being hungry all the time is the problem, then that will make for cheap snacks. Proteins are a bit trickier though. Rice has a bit of them, but not that much and anything animal will be expensive.

This is all from experience when I was younger. Rice with butter was my go to snack. Now, my problem is not getting enough calories, but trying not to get too many...

Do you have any money? Something like oats and whey aren't that expensive, but it is of course all relative. But finely ground oats with whey protein are something that stores together really well, and makes for a really nutritious drink with water. It's really simple, really cheap, really easy to move around and prepare and really good for you.
I'll save up. Thanks for the food idea!

If money is really an issue and you need calories, you can get a large bag of rice for cheap, at least here in Canada, at Walmart of all places. I just saw 18 pounds of rice for 16$ (CAD), so a bit more than 10US$. Don't buy the small boxes, they are 2-5 times more expensive. You have to look for the biggest bag you can get your hands on as the price per pound then gets ridiculously low. Other places to look for cheap rice are Asian grocery stores, if there are any around where you live.

Just cook a huge pot of rice on Sunday and you are good to go for the week. To make it tastier, I add a bit of butter, salt and pepper.

Rice is a bit less than 1000 calories per uncooked pound. So, you would get more than 1000 calories per dollar, maybe close to 2000. This is hard to beat. Olive oil is also a good bargain at about 2000 calories per cup. If you buy a gallon of a reasonably good olive oil and soak your rice in it, you will get a lot of calories. Obviously, this is not a suggestion for your whole diet, but if being hungry all the time is the problem, then that will make for cheap snacks. Proteins are a bit trickier though. Rice has a bit of them, but not that much and anything animal will be expensive.

This is all from experience when I was younger. Rice with butter was my go to snack. Now, my problem is not getting enough calories, but trying not to get too many...
Hey, sorry I didn't get to reply earlier, I reached my daily post limit. I'll look into this as well.

If sleep and eating are the real issues, then put the training on a holding pattern and dedicate your brain cells to solving those problems. Train to maintain. Look into some time management ideas. Audit where your time actually goes. See if there are some things you can cut back on or eliminate to get more sleep. If it's totally impossible, and you're truly up against the wall, then make peace with it and do what you can. You can always come back to these strength goals later.

As for food, as others mentioned, Beans, and Rice. Go to a store like Walmart or Target and get a cheap rice cooker and a cheap slow cooker. Then go to the beans and rice aisle and get some big bags. Get some seasonings, and veggies like onions, celery, carrots, and cabbage are cheap, nutritious, and store well, so buy big bags. Lentils and split peas cook fast, other beans take longer, but the crock pot slow cooks beans perfectly with no attention. Just for fun, you can measure a meal of beans, rice, and veggies and run it through nutritional analysis software and see just how well you can do with very little time or money. If you have Asian markets nearby, they often have huge bags for cheap.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom