all posts post new thread

Barbell Food intake isn’t consistent

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Going to hit on a few points that seem to be missed by the majority. Your 15, I assume you live at home with your parents who do most of the cooking and all of the buying of groceries. As for you getting 5 hours of sleep a night, you need to prioritize what you are doing. Get a piece of paper and write out what you do in a day and what times, I guarantee your time efficiency is lacking greatly. I grew up on a dairy farm and had to be up at 0400 to milk cows and do chores, I went to sleep at 9PM every night, that's 7hours. I Cannot imagine your schedule being so busy that it leads to 5hours of sleep unless you have a job or a video game/tv habit that needs quenched. Second I would recommend getting a part time gig at the local all you can eat buffet. Even if you work two days a week that's two days of massive amounts of calories you can consume, and also will put a little more money in your pocket to help out on the non working days if you so chose to spend your money on foods.

Not sure how your school is set up but I had lifting as a class all through HS. 5/3/1 should work great done in class, your lower body lifts are good so however your programming them I would stay with it, need to bump the upper body lifts a bit, try adding in a first set last ie 65x5 75x5 85x5+ 65x3x5-8 mix a pull between your press sets to save time.

Basically.
You need to get more sleep each night.... do whatever you need to do to make this happen, at least have one day a week where you sleep as long as you want

Get a part time job at a food service place, preferably an all you can eat since that's your main point.
R
Stay on 5/3/1 since it is working for you. Maybe drop to a 2x a week template ie Deadlift/Press/ Pullups Squat/ Bench/ Row

Your 15, don't' put to much pressure on yourself to be a beast. One day you will be on your own and in control of your environment, till then endure. When you first start out on your own its going to get way worse. Stan Efferding has some great knowledge he gives out for free as someone already posted. Best of luck to you

Going to hit on a few points that seem to be missed by the majority. Your 15, I assume you live at home with your parents who do most of the cooking and all of the buying of groceries. As for you getting 5 hours of sleep a night, you need to prioritize what you are doing. Get a piece of paper and write out what you do in a day and what times, I guarantee your time efficiency is lacking greatly. I grew up on a dairy farm and had to be up at 0400 to milk cows and do chores, I went to sleep at 9PM every night, that's 7hours. I Cannot imagine your schedule being so busy that it leads to 5hours of sleep unless you have a job or a video game/tv habit that needs quenched. Second I would recommend getting a part time gig at the local all you can eat buffet. Even if you work two days a week that's two days of massive amounts of calories you can consume, and also will put a little more money in your pocket to help out on the non working days if you so chose to spend your money on foods.

Not sure how your school is set up but I had lifting as a class all through HS. 5/3/1 should work great done in class, your lower body lifts are good so however your programming them I would stay with it, need to bump the upper body lifts a bit, try adding in a first set last ie 65x5 75x5 85x5+ 65x3x5-8 mix a pull between your press sets to save time.

Basically.
You need to get more sleep each night.... do whatever you need to do to make this happen, at least have one day a week where you sleep as long as you want

Get a part time job at a food service place, preferably an all you can eat since that's your main point.
R
Stay on 5/3/1 since it is working for you. Maybe drop to a 2x a week template ie Deadlift/Press/ Pullups Squat/ Bench/ Row

Your 15, don't' put to much pressure on yourself to be a beast. One day you will be on your own and in control of your environment, till then endure. When you first start out on your own its going to get way worse. Stan Efferding has some great knowledge he gives out for free as someone already posted. Best of luck to you

Yeah, I can empathize with the getting up early part. It sucks. Also, I haven't sat down to watch TV in months. I don't play videogames, too busy lol. I go to a school that's a good deal away from me, and I have to stay after school for tutoring sessions 4-5x per week. That means I don't get home till 5:30-6, and then I have chores and HW (my brother is also special needs, which takes up extra time), so I don't get to bed until 11-11:30. Then, I'm up at 5. It's a cycle. And honestly, if I lived alone and a job took the place of school, I'd probably spend all my money on cheap meats, Lactaid, and oatmeal.

Feel your pain on both finances and time.

A long time ago I was training hard, working full time which was an hour commute (2hours daily), studying my masters part time and had just had my first child and was trying to do some occasional cash in hand work to make ends meet.

Do you do the driving to your school? If not I found twenty minutes power nap on inward journey and again homeward bound helped.

In terms of food I found cheap food options were
* rice
* beans
* liver
* cooking bacon.

I used to be able to make five meals for around £1.60 (two dollars?) consisting of 500g cooking bacon, 1kg rice, 500g of frozen mixed veg. My lunch used to cost less for a week than colleagues paid for one meal at break time.

Feel your pain on both finances and time.

A long time ago I was training hard, working full time which was an hour commute (2hours daily), studying my masters part time and had just had my first child and was trying to do some occasional cash in hand work to make ends meet.

Do you do the driving to your school? If not I found twenty minutes power nap on inward journey and again homeward bound helped.

In terms of food I found cheap food options were
* rice
* beans
* liver
* cooking bacon.

I used to be able to make five meals for around £1.60 (two dollars?) consisting of 500g cooking bacon, 1kg rice, 500g of frozen mixed veg. My lunch used to cost less for a week than colleagues paid for one meal at break time.

That is some ridiculously cheap food. Good for you man. And I'll take your advice on the naps, they should help me. Thanks.

Chug whole milk. Cheap, easy to find, super anabolic. You are already crazy strong for your age, I really hope to see you crushing collegiate athletics in a few years!

Thanks man! Unfortunately, I have to supplement with lactaid to even drink milk, haha. Also, I won't be doing anything for a while. Ate at Wendy's, now I have food poisoning. Currently in the hospital, had severe intermittent cramps for the last 5 hours, going on 6.

Thanks man! Unfortunately, I have to supplement with lactaid to even drink milk, haha. Also, I won't be doing anything for a while. Ate at Wendy's, now I have food poisoning. Currently in the hospital, had severe intermittent cramps for the last 5 hours, going on 6.

Yikes! I hope you get better (and never trust Wendy's again). If milk is a problem for you, you can't go wrong with peanut butter sandwiches. You can get 6,500 kcal of peanut butter for ~$6 US dollars (even less if you don't care about quality).

Yikes! I hope you get better (and never trust Wendy's again). If milk is a problem for you, you can't go wrong with peanut butter sandwiches. You can get 6,500 kcal of peanut butter for ~$6 US dollars (even less if you don't care about quality).

Very true, no more Wendy's for me, haha. And peanut butter was how I first went from 155 - 190 lb! I ate a jar a day for a while, back when I was running Starting Strength.

155 - 190 is a pretty huge jump (enjoy those testosterone years!) already. I realized that you asked about a program in your opening post as well.. I'd suggest looking into reverse pyramid training. Hit the gym 3 times a week: squat, deadlift, bench/OHP in the reverse pyramid fashion and gtfo. Low frequency and low volume are your friend when life is getting in the way of lifting.

My $.02

155 - 190 is a pretty huge jump (enjoy those testosterone years!) already. I realized that you asked about a program in your opening post as well.. I'd suggest looking into reverse pyramid training. Hit the gym 3 times a week: squat, deadlift, bench/OHP in the reverse pyramid fashion and gtfo. Low frequency and low volume are your friend when life is getting in the way of lifting.

My $.02

Thanks! But I don't have a squat rack or bench. Just a barbell with plates that are too big for it. And a chin-up bar + dip station. This summer, I'll have a job and be able to squat, bench, push the Prowler, and whatnot.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom