all posts post new thread

Nutrition Food/Supplements for a broken bone

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LarryB

Level 7 Valued Member
I broke my 5th metatarsal and was wondering what people eat and supplement with to promote bone growth and or healing. I’m currently taking some collagen peptide powder and chicken stock i made myself. Any suggestions are welcome.
Best,
Larry

I broke my 5th metatarsal and was wondering what people eat and supplement with to promote bone growth and or healing. I’m currently taking some collagen peptide powder and chicken stock i made myself. Any suggestions are welcome.
Best,
Larry
I don't know about nutrition but I broke mine three years ago and I continued to barbell squat. I had a belief the loading would help the healing.
It has broken again since.
But then, I haven't kicked anyone in the knee again either ?

Best,
Larry
Sunshine, boron, crushed egg shells, which you could boil in water for 5-10 mins. then dry and crush, or sometimes I'll toss a couple of raw whole eggs in a blender with my usual shake ingredients and consume that way. Based on readings I take magnesium in a 1:1 ratio with the calcium. One egg shell has approx. 2 grams of calcium. I also keep a bottle of BoneUp around.

Vit C and collagen are always the go to supplements for fractures. The old school of thought would have added Comfrey (knit bone) to the regimen but it's been brought under question of late due to the said carcinogenic effects of the Pyrrolizidine alkaloids it contains in studies with rats and mice. I've eaten Comfrey leaves for almost 30 years, especially after injuries but it's only advised for external use (in balms or ointments) these days. The Pyrrolizidine alkaloids are only really present in significant levels in the roots of the plant but the allantoin which heals the bones is present in the leaves of the plant so it's generally considered safe when used topically.
What did you do, did you kick your little toe into something?

Vit C and collagen are always the go to supplements for fractures. The old school of thought would have added Comfrey (knit bone) to the regimen but it's been brought under question of late due to the said carcinogenic effects of the Pyrrolizidine alkaloids it contains in studies with rats and mice. I've eaten Comfrey leaves for almost 30 years, especially after injuries but it's only advised for external use (in balms or ointments) these days. The Pyrrolizidine alkaloids are only really present in significant levels in the roots of the plant but the allantoin which heals the bones is present in the leaves of the plant so it's generally considered safe when used topically.
My dad used to use comfrey to make an organic liquid plant food.

For healing, I generally use LISS work (zone 2 on a concept2 bike erg) for at least an hour a day whilst sipping BCAA's. I also eat a little more food than I need, get a lot of protein and max out my sleep.
Hope that helps.

Broke my 5th metatarsal actually, rolled my foot. May have been a previous stress fracture.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom