all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed For longevity, muscle strength may be as important as aerobic exercise

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
a JAMAR branded dynamometer is the gold standard in North America to my knowledge - we've had non JAMAR at work that read 4-5kg less than a JAMAR does. Just an FYI, buyer beware
@watchnerd

EDIT: Dan John talks alot about hanging, if you can do 30s to 1min that's solid
10lb matters if you're really strong or really weak. For my purposes (which is essentially "Hey, check this out!"), it is more than enough.

I don't mean to be cynical about most human nature but i think most gen pop don't value longevity enough to overcome what they see as misery until then. To help the unhealthy (which seems to be the purpose of the article), the sales pitch can include longevity but also more persuasive topics like energy, endorphins and even the vainity of a healthy body. I just think too many people don't understand the quality of life improvement when we talk about quantity of life improvement. So many think, "Meh, I'll just enjoy my life and die a few years earlier instead of being miserable being healthy..." (Obviously i don't see it this way. )
An example of my point: i posted this article on social media with a little motivational sentence. My general posts tend to get ~50 responses from ~1000 "friends/followers." This longevity post got 3 likes and one was from my dad who hasn't exercised since 1962. Gen pop doesn't care.

An example of my point: i posted this article on social media with a little motivational sentence. My general posts tend to get ~50 responses from ~1000 "friends/followers." This longevity post got 3 likes and one was from my dad who hasn't exercised since 1962. Gen pop doesn't care.
100%, I call it the gen pop eye roll / sugar coma, you know, nothing but sclera showing when I'm popping off about health topics. Took me a while to figure out the ignore until asked technique.

It makes evolutionary sense to me.

We're programmed to look sexy so we can mate.

And eat so we can survive.

Deprivation for the purpose of an extended, post-mating lifespan just isn't in the DNA.

Back
Top Bottom