all posts post new thread

Nutrition For Recovery

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Archer

Level 6 Valued Member
I just ordered ProT Powder collagen peptides protein and some Frog Fuel liquid collagen protein. Has anyone used these products and what was your experience. I get plenty of protein in my diet already with red meats, sardines, tuna, and chicken but I don't take any extra protein supplements. I do, however, take good vitamin and mineral supplements.
Anyway, I'm hoping these products will help speed recovery for a middle-aged guy who's fighting it.
I would love to hear others thoughts and experiences, or other advice.

Last edited:
What are you trying to ‘recover’ from? And what makes you think that your current nutrition is inadequate.
I have had some experience with collagen peptides in trying to heal a tendonopathy, although it’s hard to say how much it contributed to the healing process.

What are you trying to ‘recover’ from? And what makes you think that your current nutrition is inadequate.
I have had some experience with collagen peptides in trying to heal a tendonopathy, although it’s hard to say how much it contributed to the healing process.
I'm increasing protein intake because the current program I'm doing is constantly and steadily increasing in volume. I'm pretty sure at my age(54), the weight(heavy for me) and volume will require longer recovery than normal. I want to be able to train this program three days per week. I'm just trying to give my body a good pure protein to help it along.
Mainly wondering if the brand I bought lives up to the hype.

I'm increasing protein intake because the current program I'm doing is constantly and steadily increasing in volume. I'm pretty sure at my age(54), the weight(heavy for me) and volume will require longer recovery than normal. I want to be able to train this program three days per week. I'm just trying to give my body a good pure protein to help it along.
My guess is that you will be in short company to try this combo. I'm interested to see if you notice any difference.

Generally you get better results from a complete protein like whey than collagen. Collagen isn’t considered a high quality protein performance wise. It really shines when dealing with tendon and ligament injury. But if your diet already has adequate protein you won’t see a big difference from either.

You might want to consider creatine monohydrate as an addition. It can really boost recovery and performance if taken correctly. Creatine Dosage Calculator for Men and Women

I just ordered ProT Powder collagen peptides protein and some Frog Fuel liquid collagen protein. Has anyone used these products and what was your experience. I get plenty of protein in my diet already with red meats, sardines, tuna, and chicken but I don't take any extra protein supplements. I do, however, take good vitamin and mineral supplements.
Anyway, I'm hoping these products will help speed recovery for a middle-aged guy who's fighting it.
I would love to hear others thoughts and experiences, or other advice.
Not middle aged yet. But honestly if you’re getting enough protein sleep would be up there at the top of my list for things to focus on.

Generally you get better results from a complete protein like whey than collagen. Collagen isn’t considered a high quality protein performance wise. It really shines when dealing with tendon and ligament injury. But if your diet already has adequate protein you won’t see a big difference from either.

You might want to consider creatine monohydrate as an addition. It can really boost recovery and performance if taken correctly. Creatine Dosage Calculator for Men and Women
I've never taken creatine. I would but I never knew a good brand.

Great link, thank you.

Last edited:
I've never taken creatine. I would but I never knew a good brand.

Great link, thank you.
+1 on the creatine. It’s one of the most widely researched supplements and there’s studies showing that it can help with memory and cognitive function as well. I never took creatine until a few months ago when I was running The Giant and since it’s sort of “as many sets as you can get in this time frame” I kind of had a week over week way to see how my performance was (granted there’s always other factors) but I definitely felt like it gave me a little extra juice in the tank. Not like “HOLY SH IM THE HULK” kind of feeling but just like after I pushed the reps out id feel like “okay I guess I did have that left”.
Lots of other factors involved, like I said. But def worth looking into.

i’ve used creatine (~5mg daily) on and off for years and my training logs demonstrate it consistently gets me an extra rep on my 10 rep max. That’s pretty impressive for a cheap, legal and benign supplement. It also adds ~2kg to my weight which I definitely don’t appreciate but c’est la vie

+1 on the creatine. It’s one of the most widely researched supplements and there’s studies showing that it can help with memory and cognitive function as well. I never took creatine until a few months ago when I was running The Giant and since it’s sort of “as many sets as you can get in this time frame” I kind of had a week over week way to see how my performance was (granted there’s always other factors) but I definitely felt like
i’ve used creatine (~5mg daily) on and off for years and my training logs demonstrate it consistently gets me an extra rep on my 10 rep max. That’s pretty impressive for a cheap, legal and benign supplement. It also adds ~2kg to my weight which I definitely don’t appreciate but c’est la vie

it gave me a little extra juice in the tank. Not like “HOLY SH IM THE HULK” kind of feeling but just like after I pushed the reps out id feel like “okay I guess I did have that left”.
Lots of other factors involved, like I said. But def worth looking into.
Can you guys recommend any certain brands or ways to take it for better absorption?

The Strength Benefits of Ceatine

Creatine is one of the most researched supplement on the market. It provide a variety of heath benefits.

As Luke noted, it also for most (not me) increases body weight and strength.

Non-Responder

Some individual, like myself, are Non-Responder. Creatine isn't effective.

With that in mind, let's break some of this down by starting with...

Dehydration

As we know, dehydration decrease sports performance, especially strength...

"When around 3% of total body weight in dehydration occurs, this can result in strength losses of up to 5%, showing a greater magnitude than the dehydration itself."

"Therefore, this is going to be very problematic for those who are participating in power or weight lifting activities."

Superhydration

Well hydrated athletes perform better.

Anecdotal data has demonstrated that Superhydrate Muscles are stronger and fire more effectively.

That is one of reasons and benefits to Creatine...

Creatine's "Cell Voluminizing" Effect

For responsive individual, like Luke, an increase in water weight in the body and muscle cells occurs.

As Luke noted, "it consistently gets me an extra rep on my 10 rep max".

Anabolic Cell Voluminizing

One of the reasons is that certain anabolics (dianabol and anadrol) increase strength is due to the essentially Cell Voluminizing Effect they share with Creatine. However, as Luke noted, you're not going to get busted for Creatine.

Carbohydrate Loading

Ironically, in trying to cut weight for a Powerlifting Meet, I went on a Low Carbohydrate Diet years ago.

With a coupe of weeks to go until the meet, I was in no man's land. I was either about 8 pound too heavy for the lighter weight class or around 8 pound to light for the next weight class up.

My strength was dropping through the floor and I was tired of dieting.

I decided to gain back what weight I could. To do this I went on a High Carbohydrate Junk Food Diet.

In doing so, I came close to gaining 8 pounds; most of it was water weight, essentially "Cell Volumizing".

I had one of my best meets.

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

I and a couple of lifting buddies and I did this diet, years ago.

As I have posted, research by Dr Jacob Wilson (University of Tampa Human Performance Center) determined the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet tends to minimize muscle gain while increasing body fat. It has some other issues, as well.

The Three Amigos Anecdotal Study

This is what all three of us experience with the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet...

1) 5 Days On Ketogentic Diet

A drastic drop in body weight due to water weight loss. Essentially, we were dehydrating our muscle.

During that 5 days of dehydration, training was difficult, strength decreased.

I'd lose around 6 lbs of body weight during those 5 days. My two lifting buddies were larger than I was. They lose around 10 lb of body weight.

2) 2 Day Carb Loading

During our 2 Day Carb Load, I'd gain back my 6 lbs of body weight, they gained back their 10 lbs of body weight.

Workouts were easier with the weight feeling light; we cranked out more weight for more repetitions.

All of this due to the Superhydration/Cell Voluminizing Effect.

Strength Training and Superhydration/Cell Voluminizing

Superhyhdration/Cell Voluminzing increases Strength.

To reiterate, that is one of the underlying reason that why Creatine works for many individual.

Car Tire Analogy

Dehydration and Superhydration/Cell Voluminzing are somewhat similar to car tires.

1) Under Inflated Tried = Dehydration

You miles per gallon decreases.

Your reps per set with a weight decreases; metaphorically speaking, "Your Rep Mileage drops".

2) Over Inflated Tires = Superhydrate/Cell Voluminzing

Your miles per gallon increases.

Your reps per set with a weight increases; metaphorically speaking, "Your Rep Mileage increases".

A great example of this is...

Mitsubishi High Car Mileage

They were fined by the federal government for stating their car got more mile per gallon of gas they they actually did, years ago.

Actually, Mitsubishi wasn't lying. They just decide to leave out information.

The Mitsubishi Car's car tire were over inflated beyond the recommended levels.

Over inflation of the tires was great for increasing car mileage but not for wear on the tires.

Bodybuilder and Creatine

Creatine works well for them.

However, prior to their contest, they cut it use.

Grapes and Raisins

A raisin is essentially a dehydrate grape.

At a contest, Bodybuilder want to look more like a raisin; where you can see every muscle they have; rather than a puffy, water logged grape.

an you guys recommend any certain brands or ways to take it for better absorption?
German Creatine

This is considered to be the best quality.

Dosage

1) Loading with 10 gram for two week initially get you up to speed faster.

2) 5 gram a day for a month end up getting you to the same place in 30 days, as the loading method above does.

Responders and Non-Responders

Many individual like Luke respond well with Creatine.

A small percentage, like me, are Non-Responders. It does work.

German Creatine

This is considered to be the best quality.

Dosage

1) Loading with 10 gram for two week initially get you up to speed faster.

2) 5 gram a day for a month end up getting you to the same place in 30 days, as the loading method above does.

Responders and Non-Responders

Many individual like Luke respond well with Creatine.

A small percentage, like me, are Non-Responders. It does work.
Thank you all. This is all very helpful information.

A less known function of creatine is in the energy supply and buffering in neurons of the nervous system.
Even if you have max atp availability in muscle cells, neuronal energy supply is critical. And so if cns energy is depleted, metabolic processes are affected downstream...fatigue.
Not downplaying creatine at all, more up playing.....creatine supp perhaps is more important for energy supply than just muscular work.
I use it more for this reason than issues of strength or endurance. I don't really notice any difference in my recovery unless my output is at or near max intensity.
There is an interesting point here with energy supply....neural drive and atp demand v musculoskeletal energy needs.
If your cns is unable to signal to muscle to do work then no work will be done....that's where creatine is most helpful possibly rather than or aswell as cellular atp within muscle.
Another + for creatine supp either way.

I still use collagen supplements when my diet is lacking but I never used them for any performance benefits, it was mainly for recovery & joint health for me. I'd rather eat a serve of slow cooked lamb shanks a few times a week these days. Most modern western diets are somewhat lacking in glycine & proline but it's not a primary source of protein, you get a lot more value for your money if you use it few times a week if you're eating meat every day.
Colostrum supplementation has been working well for me lately, I take about 20g along with about 15g of collagen after I train on a relatively low protein diet (OMAD 35g protein a day on top of the 15g collagen) and I'm in better shape than I've been for years.
When I eat the lamb shanks that protein intake goes up though, maybe up to 120g in one meal. So on a weekly average I'm getting close to the standard dietary recommended intake in a few sittings when I factor in my supplements.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom