all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed For you rucksters, runners and mountain people: GPS?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
I had an ancient Garmin Forerunner watch. The band is broke, its not holding much of a charge anymore and its having issues getting a satellite connection & keeping it. I was looking at another runners specific watch but found this:

Garmin Foretrex 601 GPS | REI Co-op

I has more features I would find useful in the activities I do. Maybe not as small as a true runner's watch, but I could always mount this to my pack straps.

Comments on this? Overkill?

Ask yourself "will I do the job?"

If the answer is yes then buy it. FYI the answer is yes.

Depends on what you need the gps for... generally if you go that size, try and get a device that has a map!

Gaia app +1. The best part of it is that it will tell you elevation gain as well. I have a specific training day where I train by elevation gain and this feature is super helpful.

Gaia app +2 along with an apple watch.

Although I will say, when using a GPS "professionally" I prefer a dedicated GPSr. I use an eTrex 20 for that, but they do have faster better devices out now (one with an electric compass and bearing tracking tools can be a real asset).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom