all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Forearm/Grip Maintenance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dgruhl

First Post
Interested to hear what you find works best for maintaining good forearm health.

Im a regular with the lacrosse ball, voodoo band and the occasional massage. I have seen the Arm Aid tool and I am interested if anyone has experience with this device or any others that might be floating about out there.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

I have not needed to address forearm health - forearm strength and some stretching seems to take care of it.

-S-

@dgruhl are you experience forearm health issues?

I ask because, like Steve, I have not had to address forearm health at this point. My recent training experience involves CrossFit, rowing on a C2 as well as kettlebell work. My impression is that you already have effective interventions. I sure wish that I had known about things like Voodoo Floss years ago...

The Arm Aid seems expensive unless your current interventions are not cutting it. Personally, I would consider a copy of Role Model and some Yoga Tune Up balls before dropping the coin for such a specialized tool.

copy of Role Model and some Yoga Tune Up balls
Second that!!!!!

I recently discovered that if I used a massage stick (can get for about $30) wedged under a desk or something, can really roll out the forearms quite well! Biceps too. You just have to get creative with the leverage.

Those Yoga Tune Up balls are GREAT, though, And the DVDs on the site with Jill Miller and Kelly Starrett will blow you away with just how many ways you can "fix" yourself.

I recently discovered that if I used a massage stick (can get for about $30) wedged under a desk or something, can really roll out the forearms quite well!Biceps too. You just have to get creative with the leverage.

One of our competitors had me roll his forearms at a comp awhile back. He just laid his arm on a plyo box. That said, it does take some understanding of the flex of whatever model being used as well as good communication when assisting someone else.

True. And I should give credit to where I got the idea with the massage stick: "Secrets of the Shoulder" DVD with Brett Jones and Gray Cook. In the DVD they use the massage stick, with one assisting the other, before stretching... really got me thinking about different ways to use it. I've also used the stick wedging it against a chair back and working under the arm. Found some trigger points in my lats or serratus anterior, I'm not sure which, but the foam roller isn't specific enough to get it... the stick works really well. Previously I had only ever used it on my quads, but apparently it is useful for many other things!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom