all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form check: 2-handed swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do I have about the right amounts of each in the swing exercise? Is my bottom position where I want it to be?

Yes, it looks about right, but don't actually lean against the wall when you do it. The purpose of that exercise is to practice reaching back with hips as far as you can to touch the wall (loading your hamstrings and glutes), but still support all of your weight on your feet.

Here’s my latest swing. I know there’s much to be improved: in some reps I can bring hips back more, I can delay my hip-hinge much longer, and I can probably have more tension in plank. I’m also concerned about my how my knees pop back during extension (not sure how to fix this).
Is there anything else? How do I fix these things? Should I focus on one thing until it’s improved before moving on to the next? Thanks in advance for input.

It looks fine Shawn... I don't think you could fine tune much more without going heavier. You need to swing a heavier weight to continue progressing.

That said, I do have 2 tips: 1) On your hinge practice, don't bend your torso so far forward. You're almost horizontal. A hinge position should have the shoulders higher than the hips. Also, pull yourself into a tight hinge, resisting it and building tension as you do. This is where the power comes from. 2) In your setup for your swing, flatten your back more before you hike the bell. Some people like the cue "put your shoulder blades in your opposite back pockets."

Doing well... keep working it!

@Anna C , thank you for this " Some people like the cue "put your shoulder blades in your opposite back pockets." "
I love this forum.

Shawn, you are progressing well. What helped me at this stage was to line up some heavier kb's and do 1-2 swings of each in descending order as the extra load helped me get the "feel" of all the parts of the movement and their relationship to each other.

@Anna C , thank you for this " Some people like the cue "put your shoulder blades in your opposite back pockets." "
I love this forum.

Shawn, you are progressing well. What helped me at this stage was to line up some heavier kb's and do 1-2 swings of each in descending order as the extra load helped me get the "feel" of all the parts of the movement and their relationship to each other.
Thanks! I’ll try that.

Here’s my two-handed swing using a 24kg bell. Looking for feedback before I start doing 1-handed swings. Thanks in advance.

Looks good @Shawn Crespi ! No problems from my perspective.

Two things you might want to experiment with:
  • A bit more toe turn out (see what works best for you, but usually a little more toe turn out is helpful)
  • Shadow swings, 2-hand. Try actively arresting the ascent if the bell as it gets to the top, and actively pushing it down into the hinge. Any amount from very subtle to very forceful is fine for practice. It's a helpful technique to find more tension and power.

Looks good @Shawn Crespi ! No problems from my perspective.

Two things you might want to experiment with:
  • A bit more toe turn out (see what works best for you, but usually a little more toe turn out is helpful)
  • Shadow swings, 2-hand. Try actively arresting the ascent if the bell as it gets to the top, and actively pushing it down into the hinge. Any amount from very subtle to very forceful is fine for practice. It's a helpful technique to find more tension and power.
Thanks, Anna! With the second thing: is this a normal part of the swing or just a drill? Instead of the bell floating up from its own momentum, I push it down? Am I using arms and shoulders to accomplish this?

With the second thing: is this a normal part of the swing or just a drill? Instead of the bell floating up from its own momentum, I push it down? Am I using arms and shoulders to accomplish this?

Just a drill, although a lot of people like to use a bit of this and all of their swings. Just something to try... It can teach a lot of lessons. Don't overthink it. It's mostly the lats that do the work. Helps with shoulder packing and force transfer. It will also force a harder abdominal contraction, which is always a good thing. You might have to adjust your grip at times.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom