all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form check: 2h swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul Nathan

Level 4 Valued Member

Hi,

2h swings, 16kg bell.

I would be curious as to any comments regarding my form. I have my own suspicions but I don't want to prejudice the kind viewers here before they view me.

(& Apologies for the flab. It's on its way out)

@Anna C told me my kettlebell-poundage was to low to generate the right amount of force.
Its seems you have the same issue. Try a 24kg; youre a strong man.

Paul, try playing "chicken" with the bell...at the top of the swing, stand nice and tall like you are doing, and wait and let your arms fall until you feel your triceps start to touch your torso. At that instant hinge back quickly, your hands high in your groin, and explosively stand up. You will find that gives you more power in your swing and you are eliminating the bell hanging down in front of you towards the floor while your hips have hinged back ahead of that.

You can even try this move with no bell at first to get the hang of it. I agree with others, try the heavier bell. You have a good start here with your swings! Welcome to the forums!

Yes, it was a good call to use the 24kg. 16kg is way too light for you.
It is a nice swing overall, as you really are hip hinging.

There are a few things that can be perfected.
The first thing I would correct are your shoulders. We see them go up at the end of each swing. Think of a standing plank : once your hips are extended, everything must be tight (glutes, abs, knee caps up, LATS). Tight lats will keep your shoulders down where they belong.

Another thing: keep low reps for the time. I would do 3 to 5 reps max to both work on technique and power, or even dead stop swings. 15 reps is not the best to work on perfecting your technique.

I agree, a nice swing overall! And good feedback.

If you use the YouTube settings to slow the video to .25 speed, then freeze frame when the bell is at about halfway down (4:00 or 5:00 if you're looking at a clock hand), you can see that your knees are already bent at that point. When you do the tight standing plank as @jef described, and then play "chicken" with the bell as @crazycanuck described, your legs will still be straight when the bell is in that position. Then hinge quickly. The swing will be safer, smoother, and stronger that way.

Once you get the shoulders packed better and the timing smoothed out, you're ready for even more weight...

Thank you all for the feedback. I will be working on incorporating it into the swing.

I have a 32kg backordered so I expect to be tuned up and ready to swing when it arrives. :)

@Paul Nathan : you seem to squat just before you hinge. As Anna C. pointed out, first hinge. The bending of the knees will follow naturally. Good form otherwise :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom