all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form Check - C+P plus Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stu

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all

I'm looking to get a little constructive feedback on both my C+Ps and Swings. I am into my 3rd week of ROP and felt this was a good time to get some feedback before the volume picks up any more. These are a few clips from my medium day session earlier today.

Some notes from me:
The C+P is feeling quite good, The bell doesn't always rest in the rack exactly where I want it but I guess that's more about practice and patterning the movement. I am consciously trying to tame the arc and it's definitely better than it was. I do find when taming the arc that I'm not generating nearly as much through the hip hinge, I don't really feel like the clean is working my lower body at all. The press is getting better, I have pretty poor shoulder flexion and I definitely prefer pressing kettlebells to barbells, it just feels like I can follow a more natural path. The drop, my grip isn't super on the drop on the right, I am recovering from a broken right index finger so the hook grip is out for the time being.

The Swing:
You will see 2 sets of swings, the first, I'm employing a bit more knee bend and it feels more powerful but looks less so. When I got a technique session from my local SFG, he suggested a little more knee bend and this was how I interpreted it. The second set has less knee bend. Looking for some feedback on which version looks better and any other pointers to keep improving.

Thanks in advance.

Stu

The one thing I would adjust

Just drop the bell and let your hips catch it.

If you notice, you are bumping it with your shoulder to initiate the drop

Great video, Stu. Lots to analyze.

All basically solid and good, no major issues.

That's a beautiful pull-up! Clean and strong.

Also a beautiful clean-- snappy and efficient! Those are hard to find :)

I see some opportunities for fine-tuning on a few things, in addition to Mark's good observation on the clean drop.

1) Your press isn't straight above your shoulder. It's a little out to the side at the top. Can you get to vertical?

2) On the drop from the clean, your elbow comes out to the side, contributing to the casting out. See if you can keep it more tucked, and as Mark said, just drop the bell and let your hips catch it.

3) On your hike for the clean, your shoulders could be more aligned. See if you can square them up just like you're hiking back for a 2hand swing. Hike the kettlebell back to 8:00 and let your hips come down a bit as it's coming back. That will help keep the kettlebell at 8:00 on the backswing instead of flipping up to 9:00. (Look at this video, :04 as I hike the bell and sit back just a tiny bit into the backswing... It's a small adjustment but makes a big difference. It's part of the "loading the hamstrings and glutes" that I'm talking about in 6) below.)

upload_2019-10-3_7-45-46.png

4) On the swings, you're breaking at the knees a little early on the downswing:

upload_2019-10-3_7-55-13.png

See if you can hold the legs straight a bit longer, then think "hips back" for the hinge. Let the knees bend, that is OK.... but you're kind of leading the movement with the knees. Does that make sense?

5) Top of the swing, stand tall -- look out at the horizon, big chest, packed shoulders. Currently your head is a bit forward, shoulders are up.

upload_2019-10-3_7-57-7.png

6) On the second set of swings, the hinge looks a bit better overall (less squatty), though it's not specifically a knee bend issue in either case. More specifically, you're not fully loading the hamstrings and glutes in either set, so a good bit of your power is coming from quads and knee extension. Practice some vertical jumps where you can feel the loading of the glutes and hamstrings, and try to bring that feeling to your swings.

Hope that is helpful...

Great work! One thing to add on the pull ups: I noticed a tension leakage, if you point your toes a little more and squeeze against your quads and hipflexors, you will be able to Generate more tension/strength for increased speed over the bar. Remember the hollow position is key with the tactical pull up so really emphasizing that even with the weight between the legs will translate into more power. Looked great and very impressive.

Great video, Stu. Lots to analyze.

All basically solid and good, no major issues.

That's a beautiful pull-up! Clean and strong.

Also a beautiful clean-- snappy and efficient! Those are hard to find :)

I see some opportunities for fine-tuning on a few things, in addition to Mark's good observation on the clean drop.

1) Your press isn't straight above your shoulder. It's a little out to the side at the top. Can you get to vertical?

2) On the drop from the clean, your elbow comes out to the side, contributing to the casting out. See if you can keep it more tucked, and as Mark said, just drop the bell and let your hips catch it.

3) On your hike for the clean, your shoulders could be more aligned. See if you can square them up just like you're hiking back for a 2hand swing. Hike the kettlebell back to 8:00 and let your hips come down a bit as it's coming back. That will help keep the kettlebell at 8:00 on the backswing instead of flipping up to 9:00. (Look at this video, :04 as I hike the bell and sit back just a tiny bit into the backswing... It's a small adjustment but makes a big difference. It's part of the "loading the hamstrings and glutes" that I'm talking about in 6) below.)

View attachment 9140

4) On the swings, you're breaking at the knees a little early on the downswing:

View attachment 9141

See if you can hold the legs straight a bit longer, then think "hips back" for the hinge. Let the knees bend, that is OK.... but you're kind of leading the movement with the knees. Does that make sense?

5) Top of the swing, stand tall -- look out at the horizon, big chest, packed shoulders. Currently your head is a bit forward, shoulders are up.

View attachment 9142

6) On the second set of swings, the hinge looks a bit better overall (less squatty), though it's not specifically a knee bend issue in either case. More specifically, you're not fully loading the hamstrings and glutes in either set, so a good bit of your power is coming from quads and knee extension. Practice some vertical jumps where you can feel the loading of the glutes and hamstrings, and try to bring that feeling to your swings.

Hope that is helpful...

Hi @Anna C This is fantastic and really comprehensive. I will make a conscious effort to implement your feedback in my next session. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Stu

Great work! One thing to add on the pull ups: I noticed a tension leakage, if you point your toes a little more and squeeze against your quads and hipflexors, you will be able to Generate more tension/strength for increased speed over the bar. Remember the hollow position is key with the tactical pull up so really emphasizing that even with the weight between the legs will translate into more power. Looked great and very impressive.

Thank you, I do find it a little awkward when using additional weight, I will work on tension! Cheers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom