all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form Check Get Up 16 kg & Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TobiasNeuffer

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi there fellow strong first aficionados!

I would really appreciate your opinions on my turkish get-up form. The only part that feels uncomfortable to me is the transition from elbow to back on the way back (especially on the left side). I always slide around on the floor to create some space between the arm and my body in order to have space to roll on my back.

Also I have a question concerning the weight jump to 24kg: I I can do much more than 5 reps each of get ups with 16kg without resting much in between, but my wrists seem to be to weak to do a complete get-up with the 24kg kettlebell. I have a hard time keeping the wrists straight (especially the one on the left) and in addition to that the pressure of the kettlebell on my forearm is very uncomfortable. Should I just do half reps with 24kg until my wrists get strong enough and my forearms get used to the pressure or should I get a 20kg kettlebell? Or should i quit kettlebells and try contemporary dance instead because me whining about 24kg of iron (yes, the 16kg kettlebell is made out of plastic) hurting my forearms makes me unworthy of the sport;)? What do you think?

Many greetings from Berlin!
Stay healthy and strong!
Tobias

Guten tag Tobias

It's fairly safe to begin with and you're not alone with the concern.

Do you think you can push press or press the bell overhead assisting with the free arm with a 24kg?

That's how I helped my student get confident with the 24kg.

Some prefer the top down approach to improving the getup vs using the usual ground up approach..

As for the bell pressing on your wrist, have you considered wearing a sweat band or something like a kettleguard to start?? That can be useful then as your strength develops, take it off eventually.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to come back with more questions

Guten Tag Mark!
Thank you for your response and for your helpful tips. Yes, I can press and hold the 24kg for a couple of seconds. I guess I'll just work on that for a while. And I'll definitely get a kettleguard, thanks for pointing that out:) I didn't even know something like that existed.
Have a nice day!

Guten tag Tobias

It's fairly safe to begin with and you're not alone with the concern.

Do you think you can push press or press the bell overhead assisting with the free arm with a 24kg?

That's how I helped my student get confident with the 24kg.

Some prefer the top down approach to improving the getup vs using the usual ground up approach..

As for the bell pressing on your wrist, have you considered wearing a sweat band or something like a kettleguard to start?? That can be useful then as your strength develops, take it off eventually.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to come back with more questions
Thanks again for the tip with the kettleguard. That actually solved my wrist problem. I was immediately able to do a get up with 24kg. Though I have to admit that the 8kg weight jump feels pretty harsh...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom