all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form check Get-Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nish1013

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm new to Get-up , recently did the StrongFirst one day course. I'm practising only using a shoe. I tried with 8kg KB and found my shoulder couldn't hold it. Did a test by doing the waiter's walk, seems like my shoulders get tired soon.

Any feedback on form/technique would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Here is the link to my video :

That looks good to begin.
Some observations... At the beginning, when you are seated, I think your weight distribution could be better (more weight on the hand, less on the buttocks), but you will feel that when you will practice withe a kb. Try to keep your right elbow locked. When you come down in the seated position, be careful with your right foot. Don't take support on the fore foot... that can hurt your knee if you work with a heavy load. You can rotate this right foot taking support on the heel.

Maybe tighten the fist, lock the elbow and keep your wrist neutral (make a bending effort, like in arm wrestling... avoid dorsal flexion of the wrist) could help your shoulder to endure the get-up.
I hope this will help you...

Matthieu

Your pace is great - nice and slow to pay attention to every step.

Take advantage of those pauses - readjust your hand and/or foot placement before moving into the next position if need be. Specifically, make sure your supporting hand is beneath your shoulder to provide adequate support. And make sure your feet are set far enough apart to allow enough room for your leg sweep (both on the way up and the way down).

And wow, did you choose a tough shoe! Nice!

Kate

I'm new to Get-up , recently did the StrongFirst one day course. I'm practising only using a shoe. I tried with 8kg KB and found my shoulder couldn't hold it. Did a test by doing the waiter's walk, seems like my shoulders get tired soon.

Any feedback on form/technique would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Here is the link to my video :

In the TGU all the weight has to be supported by the bones. That means that the weight, from the hand all the way to the floor, has to be transferred by bones. To do that you need perfect alignment in all joints: elbow fully extended, weight directly above shoulder joint, etc. Whatever is not aligned is being supported with the assistance of muscles instead of only bones. Take a look at these positions:

Screenshot_20191103-145633_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191103-145605_Chrome.jpg

There should be a perfect line from the first to the floor in those two positions. Otherwise, if you had a heavy weight, you wouldn't be able to support it. Like below:

Screenshot_20191103-150309_YouTube.jpg

That looks good to begin.
Some observations... At the beginning, when you are seated, I think your weight distribution could be better (more weight on the hand, less on the buttocks), but you will feel that when you will practice withe a kb. Try to keep your right elbow locked. When you come down in the seated position, be careful with your right foot. Don't take support on the fore foot... that can hurt your knee if you work with a heavy load. You can rotate this right foot taking support on the heel.

Maybe tighten the fist, lock the elbow and keep your wrist neutral (make a bending effort, like in arm wrestling... avoid dorsal flexion of the wrist) could help your shoulder to endure the get-up.
I hope this will help you...

Matthieu

Thank you Matthieu , great pointers ! Not to take fore foot support is a great advice, thanks.

Your pace is great - nice and slow to pay attention to every step.

Take advantage of those pauses - readjust your hand and/or foot placement before moving into the next position if need be. Specifically, make sure your supporting hand is beneath your shoulder to provide adequate support. And make sure your feet are set far enough apart to allow enough room for your leg sweep (both on the way up and the way down).

And wow, did you choose a tough shoe! Nice!

Kate

Thank you Kate . I’m still bit cautious about give more weight to hand/shoulder . Still trying to grasp the feeling of packed shoulders , need to build up confidence.

Haha yes , you’re right an evenly distributed ‘flip-flop’ , can it ever go out of balance !

In the TGU all the weight has to be supported by the bones. That means that the weight, from the hand all the way to the floor, has to be transferred by bones. To do that you need perfect alignment in all joints: elbow fully extended, weight directly above shoulder joint, etc. Whatever is not aligned is being supported with the assistance of muscles instead of only bones. Take a look at these positions:

View attachment 9282 View attachment 9283

There should be a perfect line from the first to the floor in those two positions. Otherwise, if you had a heavy weight, you wouldn't be able to support it. Like below:

View attachment 9284

Thank you Oscar , Good point, something to correct at tomorrow’s session

Try to keep your right elbow locked.

Great comments, and +1 to this one I quoted, except do not "try"... DO keep the elbow locked. Always. For better strength and stability, better alignment, safety of the shoulder, and prevention of the weight coming down on you.

Nice work and keep us posted on your progress!

Great comments, and +1 to this one I quoted, except do not "try"... DO keep the elbow locked. Always. For better strength and stability, better alignment, safety of the shoulder, and prevention of the weight coming down on you.

Nice work and keep us posted on your progress!

@Anna C thank you .

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom