all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Form Check OAOLPU's

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DaveS

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi all,

Following a form check on OAPU's recently with some great feedback from Anna C and Mark Limbaga we had identified some form problems and specifically needing to tuck the hips under more and engage the glutes and abs as to prevent my hips piking particularly as I reached the bottom of the OAPU. Also, to not try to lower quite so far down (I was literally touching my chest to the floor) so I could maintain more tension in my shoulder girdle to increase the strength development from it.

I also received advice to start narrowing my stance to make them more difficult as I was already comfortably doing 5 x 5 of them. As I started playing around with this I noticed part of my problem with keeping the hips tucked seems to come from having my legs too wide as it causes a conflict in the hip flexors to be flexed/tucked whilst the legs are spread that far.

So since then I've worked on narrowing my stance and keeping the hips tucked with some success. Today I was playing around with it further and decided to try out a OLOAPU to see how it feels as I had done them many years a go probably with not great form for optimising performance but still strict in the sense of 'not cheating' and was curious to see how well I could do them now after drilling the OAPU's with these technical changes. I found I felt strong enough to do sets of 2 without failure and felt like I was strong enough to do 4 reps or so but the balance was the issue as fatigue set in (and generally) and so kept it to 5 set of 2 for now. My right arm definitely feels stronger and more co-ordinated than my left even though I'm left handed for handwriting at least interestingly. Much harder to keep my hips tucked on my weaker side to I noticed though I suspect that may relate to an old back injury I sustained playing Football (soccer) as a teenager that isn't an injury as such nowadays but there is still a weakness there I can aggravate from time to time.

I videoed my last efforts and so any feedback welcome on helping me spot technical flaws to improve further.

Thanks!

Dave.

Looks great to me, @DaveS ! Super strong and excellent tension. Nice job on the adjustments.

Might even be an inch lower than you need to go (for SFB standard, anyway). Pretty sure it would pass SFB. @Karen Smith may have some ideas for fine tuning if any is needed.

Looks great to me, @DaveS ! Super strong and excellent tension. Nice job on the adjustments.

Might even be an inch lower than you need to go (for SFB standard, anyway). Pretty sure it would pass SFB. @Karen Smith may have some ideas for fine tuning if any is needed.

Wow that was a fast response Anna! Thanks for the feedback. Great! The corrections worked then ?...Felt good in the preceding sets and why I grabbed the camera so also great to hear it looks right from your viewpoint too, yes be interesting to hear what Karen Smith thinks too being the SFB lead and if it would pass the SBF test.

Thanks so much for your help Anna ?

Yes looks strong. The depth could stop just a tad higher. The lower the depth is what caused many to dump the working shoulder forward causing a lose of tension which in return cause a slight “worm” effect in the way back up.
I would spend some time holding the top and bottoms positions as a plank to build more balance. But over all looking pretty good!

Yes looks strong. The depth could stop just a tad higher. The lower the depth is what caused many to dump the working shoulder forward causing a lose of tension which in return cause a slight “worm” effect in the way back up.
I would spend some time holding the top and bottoms positions as a plank to build more balance. But over all looking pretty good!

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the feedback! Ill work on the planks for balance then.

What your saying makes sense with my form erratic set to set balance wise and what you were saying on going too deep compromising the tension and causing the shoulder to come up too, I've felt both happen at various points but great now i know what to watch for to make the improvements over time. Just going by what i did in the video which, i would class as ‘good ones’ (especially the right hand one) so far, would they pass an SFB test?

Thanks so much for your help!

Dave.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom