all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form Check: Swing and TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Max Parish

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello,

I'd welcome any feedback on how to improve. I'm doing S&S, phasing in the 32k. All the clips below are with that bell.

About 3-4 weeks ago I took a break, because of increasing tightness in my lower back (right side only) that wasn't going away. I've just started Dr. Stu McGill's back exercises, and have been easing back into S&S, but with 2H swings rather than 1H. I want to make sure my form is nailed before I start easing into 1H swings again. I'm also including a TGU video.

One issue: I see a rock at the top of my swing. Is that a lack of tightness in my abs and glutes?

2H Swing Profile

2H Swing Front

TGU - R&L

Thanks again for any tips.

Max

Last edited:
Can't get any better than the chief giving feedback but here's what I would recommend

Swing : watch closely on rep 7-10 those were really good.. now watch rep 1-6 and see what you can improve to make those first six reps look like the last four reps

TGU: Notice your heel is coming off the ground when you low sweep?? Try going straight to the low sweep and skipping the high bridge, see if that helps..

If not, then we work on a second drill

@Brett Jones Many thanks!

Here's a slo mo video of the same training day: Swing 2H 32k Slo Mo 10-23-20.mov

That video confirms what you are saying. My first movement coming out of the hip hinge appears to be a vertical pulling motion with my back. That would likely explain my lower back issues.

@Mark Limbaga Thanks! I hadn't noticed my heel coming off the ground on the low sweep. I'll try skipping the high bridge and see what happens.

I'm so grateful for the advice.

@Mark Limbaga I tried skipping the high bridge, but didn't notice an improvement. I think the issue is as follows. Assume a setup on the floor with the bell in the right hand. My right leg is bent and foot pointed out around 2 o'clock. By the time I get to the tripod position, my right foot needs to be pointing forward, at 12 o'clock. As you pointed out, I was getting it there by pivoting on the ball of my foot. I've tried stopping my foot from pivoting during the low sweep, but that ends in me landing in the tripod position with my right, forward foot canted out. Even if I adjust after landing in the tripod position, that doesn't feel right.

So it feels like I have to pivot my supporting right foot from 2 o'clock to 12 o'clock either before or during the low sweep. Is it better to pivot it to 12 o'clock just before initiating the low sweep, or does proper form permit pivoting on the heel during the low sweep -- so that the supporting heel stays planted, but the foot still pivots?

If your issue is the foot pivoting, try this:

Clip the extended foot before initiating the low sweep..

Try that then let's go from there

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom