all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form Check(Swings\TGU\Snatches)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Welcome, @Sate_Ch ! Short version - swings really good and snappy! On your initial hike of the bell, flatten your back to where it looks like it does during your swing set. Also work towards sitting back a little more into the hinge for your swings. Get-ups are solid; could probably fine-tune the knee and foot placement in and out of tripod. Good job on gripping the bell with a straight wrist! Snatch is pretty good - work on sitting back in the hinge and being a little more patient with the bell before coming back up, and try to keep the bell in a little closer on the way up and down ("tame the arc"). Good work and keep us posted.

Welcome, @Sate_Ch ! Short version - swings really good and snappy! On your initial hike of the bell, flatten your back to where it looks like it does during your swing set. Also work towards sitting back a little more into the hinge for your swings. Get-ups are solid; could probably fine-tune the knee and foot placement in and out of tripod. Good job on gripping the bell with a straight wrist! Snatch is pretty good - work on sitting back in the hinge and being a little more patient with the bell before coming back up, and try to keep the bell in a little closer on the way up and down ("tame the arc"). Good work and keep us posted.
Thanks for the warm welcome and advices!

To sit back more I probably should get my hamstrings a good stretch first, will check tomorrow whether I can do it without further stretch or not.

What do you mean by "being a little more patient with the bell before coming back up"? Am i driving it from the hinge too early? English is not my mother tongue, so sometimes there is things I dont understand properly.

Also wanted to ask about "taming the arc". Is it a common issue as a bell gets lighter that arc becomes more loose? Asking because when I tried it at first with 16kg bell I couldn't snatch it if I wasn't keeping it closer because it was hard to control it on top afterwards, but when it have become easier and I started to go for reps it felt way more natural to make the arc more loose.
Didn't have the chance to try it on 24kg first, I tried to snatch 32kg and had to keep it closer in order to control the weight. Same story with a 24 I have now - It was hard in the beginning so I had to keep it close, but since I feel more confident with the weight it gets worse.

Really glad I've found this resource because being self-taught is not the best way in relationship with heavy iron cannon balls...

Thanks again! Will try to work on mistakes and update in few days

Sate_Ch
I agree with a lot of what Anna has there (especially the better position of the back for to start the set/hike the KB)

Specific to the Swing and Snatch:
You could bend your knees more (a good bit more)
And on every rep you are jamming your neck into extension during the hike/eccentric

Bending your knees for a more athletic hinge will help with this.

The Perfect Kettlebell Swing: Is There Such a Thing? | StrongFirst

What do you mean by "being a little more patient with the bell before coming back up"? Am i driving it from the hinge too early?

Watching your video again, I'll revise what I said because my advice wasn't really on point. What I'm looking for is loading the hinge at the bottom. What I see is that you are straightening the legs a bit when the bell is all the way back, especially with your right hand snatch. On the left hand snatch I don't see the straightening of the legs, but I see the kettlebell coming up a bit on the backswing. So my advice would be to keep the knees bent and sit into the hinge more, as you would do if you are going to jump. The backswing of the kettlebell should go along with the bottom position of a jump, loading the hinge. Then explode back up from there. Does that make sense?

Also wanted to ask about "taming the arc". Is it a common issue as a bell gets lighter that arc becomes more loose? Asking because when I tried it at first with 16kg bell I couldn't snatch it if I wasn't keeping it closer because it was hard to control it on top afterwards, but when it have become easier and I started to go for reps it felt way more natural to make the arc more loose.
Didn't have the chance to try it on 24kg first, I tried to snatch 32kg and had to keep it closer in order to control the weight. Same story with a 24 I have now - It was hard in the beginning so I had to keep it close, but since I feel more confident with the weight it gets worse.

Yes, it can be. Every bell seems to have a different natural trajectory and requires a slightly different technique to seek a more vertical path. I don't have much advice other than continued practice. With a lighter bell, pulling the elbow back when the bell is midway up/down seems to help.

Thanks again! Will try to work on mistakes and update in few days

You're welcome! Sure, post again for a re-check. It's always great to see if advice is helpful in dialing in technique.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom