all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form Check/Tips: Bent Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
I want to develop this lift this winter.

I can strict press 32kg a few reps per arm, but have only ever managed one bent press per side with 28kg, and 24kg for reps is rough for my non-dominant side.

I would love to be able to work up to 32kg for a few reps confidently.

This with 20kg, which right now is my 5-6 technical RM:

First left rep was goofy, but I got back in the groove for rep 3. I feel a noticeable difference from right (dominant) to left on hip mobility and ability to “twist” (thoracic?)

For this session I did some arm bars and then worked the progressions from this video series from Scott Iardella.

Should I work the left extra from the half-kneeling position until it more closely matches the right?

I think a heavier weight will be more instructive for you. The weight moves forward somewhat because you aren't getting into your hips as much as you could.

-S-

I'd like to see your 24kg as it may force you to separste and fall under more as you can't just ragdoll that weight

24 on the right definitely looks much better. You just need a little more separation as you initiate the movement on the left

Again, pretty good. Remember the palm, and breath in through the nose, not the mouth, "in the belly".

The bell is not riding the lat. You rely too much on your deltoids. This hardly shows with 24kg because this is an easy weight for you. But it shows when you get to the starting position. The weight is not resting on your structure but its held high by the deltoids.

Your start with 28kg is better. Copy that when you practice with 24kg. Dont put your elbow parallel to your body but try making it poke out behind you ( twist more)

Then instead of sitting down as you lean forward, focus on twisting your torso towards the ceiling as you bend from the hips, but without sitting down.

It will take loads of practice but the bell should go up without musculair effort on the shoulder. The shoulder should only balance. NoT carry or lift.

@Shawn90 Would you be able to do a video demonstrating the “do this / not that” for your third paragraph? Or phrase another way? I am not following exactly.

I do know what you mean about relying on deltoids. I could feel a difference with 28kg, with lighter weights I can rely on muscles more than structure.

@Shawn90 Would you be able to do a video demonstrating the “do this / not that” for your third paragraph? Or phrase another way? I am not following exactly.

I do know what you mean about relying on deltoids. I could feel a difference with 28kg, with lighter weights I can rely on muscles more than structure.

Sorry for my english :p
I mean to say you press upwards with your shoulder muscles. A well-executed Bent Press way below body weight should feel Effortless.

I will show you a vid of mine, disable sounds though please, and start at 0:38. It will show my left side with 40kg. Compare it to your own video. You might notice one leg remaining mainly straight, whilst the other is slightly bend, and remain like that throughout the lift. The main focus is on the forward diagonal bend of the torso whilst keeping the hips in their position. One thing you cant really see is how my elbow is parked on my lat. This is achieved by pushing the elbow against your lat or on it, BUT ''behind'' you (at the rack). Not actually keeping your upper arm parallel to your body, which you do with 24kg on your video. ;)

according to the topic i put it in my bw was 66kg, and my max military press was 32ish right and 28kg left. Yours is obviously stronger. So delt strength is insignificant with bent presses.

Last edited:
@Shawn90 Thanks, that helps. I’ll keep practicing “elbow behind” and keeping hips in position (vertically, as they do hinge back).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom