all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Form check

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ClintRW

Level 1 Valued Member
So here’s my swing. I know it’s incorrect, or so my back tells me, but I’m not sure how to correct it.

I’ve reached out to a couple local SFG’s but haven’t heard anything yet so was hoping to get a couple of tips here.

Clint, those look good. You need a heavier weight :)

You've got good timing, good hinge and plank, nice explosive upswing. Everything looks correct as far as your arms (guiding, not lifting), grip, foot position, and breathing. Your torso stays rather upright... maybe a touch too much, so your could try folding forward a bit more in your hinge, but it's OK for the weight you've got there.

Minor points: when you start the set, rock back a bit more weight to your heels. You're a bit forward on your toes. (not a big deal for that weight, but becomes more important as you go heavier). And when you end the set, keep the shoulders packed and good tight hinge position until the bell is parked.

Sets of 10 are usually best. Are you doing S&S?

You might try a bit less neck extension in the bottom of the hinge -- eyes on the horizon, and let your eyes do more of the moving so your head moves less and stays more neutral throughout the swing.

Really, swing a heavier kettlebell... we might see more to critique.

Still a good idea to see your local SFGs if you can! That's always going to be time well spent.

Do you have any history of back problems Clint?

Sometimes what you do in the half hour or so after training can cause issues with your back. If you slouch or sit after a training session the psoas and iliacus stay tight and the spinal erectors go into a state of hyper relaxation and can cause issues for some people.

Last edited:
Clint, those look good. You need a heavier weight :)

You've got good timing, good hinge and plank, nice explosive upswing. Everything looks correct as far as your arms (guiding, not lifting), grip, foot position, and breathing. Your torso stays rather upright... maybe a touch too much, so your could try folding forward a bit more in your hinge, but it's OK for the weight you've got there.

Minor points: when you start the set, rock back a bit more weight to your heels. You're a bit forward on your toes. (not a big deal for that weight, but becomes more important as you go heavier). And when you end the set, keep the shoulders packed and good tight hinge position until the bell is parked.

Sets of 10 are usually best. Are you doing S&S?

You might try a bit less neck extension in the bottom of the hinge -- eyes on the horizon, and let your eyes do more of the moving so your head moves less and stays more neutral throughout the swing.

Really, swing a heavier kettlebell... we might see more to critique.

Still a good idea to see your local SFGs if you can! That's always going to be time well spent.

Yes, I agree with you, @Anna C . @ClintRW just from a side view it looks like you may need to hinge slightly more at your hips. Looks like you are hyperextending your back a little bit more rather than hinging your hips. For example, at between 08 - 09 sec into video if you pause, look at your lower back area and you are slightly overarching your back. This can cause back pain due to 1) excessively loading the joints in your back (think of gymnast posture of excessive back extension) and 2) excessive muscle activation of back extensors.

Maybe start with hip hinge exercise first, to get a feel for how to properly hip hinge. Try this... Start in a standing position like you're going to pick up the KB, but place a broom stick or golf club along your back, holding the stick from back of head to tailbone. Notice there is a natural curve in your lower back. Practice hinging your hips while keeping this natural curve and not allowing excessive curvature of the back (while holding the dowel or whatever you're using along the spine). May feel a bit of stretch in hamstrings...

Last edited:
Thanks for the critiques.

Yes, that bell does feel light. Not so much when I did it one handed, but two handed it feels like it's coming up too high. It's 16kg...I have a 25kg, and have swung it a few times, but it freaks me out swinging that much weight because yes, I have had bouts of lower back pain in the past. Ironically, when I swung it for a few sets of 10 I experienced no back pain at all.

I'm also blessed with an anterior pelvic tilt so its pretty easy for me to get into an over extended back position. That's something I've been working on for a couple months now.

I counted the swings in the video...15 of them. I remember losing count because I was focused on trying to get a good hinge, explode from the hamstrings/glutes, keep a tight core, engage the lats, don't pull with shoulders, etc. There's a lot going on in a short amount of time so I was trying to evaluate on the fly and keep doing it until it was what I figured to be right. I did that for 10 sets. Maybe that's another causitive factor...too much volume to soon.

Yes, I'm doing S&S, at least I think I am. We'all see how well I'm doing it once my book arrives sometime between September 15 and October 5.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom