all posts post new thread

Old Forum Form Critique On Dead Lift and Squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thanks Eric, I will definitely try those tips out. The weight does feel easy but I notice when I go heavy my form slips back to hips up first. So im kicking the weight back down for now until I can do 300 in perfect form.

Joe,

I would "choose a style" - either conventional or sumo
right now you are in-between

Watch for the knees extending too quickly

Ok great tip with the knees extending to quickly that's probably what's popping my hips up first at times.

can you elaborate on being between two styles. What makes my stance between sumo and conventional ? Thanks for all your help.

Conventional is typically defined as a narrower stance with the hands outside the legs

Sumo is a wider stance with the hands inside the legs

you are right in between and based on how you are setting up etc... it looks like you could widen your stance a touch and bring the hands inside and hit a much better groove

See if you can find Derek Miller's 675 DL on Facebook - that is sumo

Joe, if I may add a little to what Brett said, consider that there are three good stances for deadlifting: conventional, narrow sumo, and regular sumo, which we could call wide sumo.

What you're showing in your video amounts to wide conventional - not a good choice.  You might consider narrow sumo, which from what I see in your video would mean only a slightly wider stance if wider at all, but with your arms inside your legs.   And unless the program has changed, narrow sumo is what's being taught at the SFL certification.

-S-

Here is the video Brett mentioned - not sure if everyone will be able to see it but here is a link

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=713325508738269

-S-

I see what you are saying with my stance being wider then conventional now that I watched some more videos of both conventional and sumo. Thanks for sharing that infornation with me.

I was not aware of the narrow sumo stance, that does sound like a better fit for me and can not wait to try it. I have tried wide sumo stance before and my body did not seem to enjoy that one. I will try the narrow sumo tonight and upload that video tonight.

Again I appreciate all your feed back you have really helped me a great amount.

These actually felt great I'm sure I have more to work on to clean it up, but definitley felt better then what I was doing previously. Let me know what you think

http://youtu.be/DZ21fsz0nK8

Forgot to add, That I guess it makes sense for me to be better at this stance because of the many years of swings haha

For your narrow sumo, try not to lower your hips any further than they are when you actually start to move the bar.  You will see in your video that the hips move first, and as you put the bar down, you lower the hips more after the bar is already on the ground, then you take up that slack before the next rep.

Otherwise, I would like to see this again when you've had a chance to practice it for a few weeks and put a bit more weight on the bar, but please don't rush into going heavier, take your time.

-S-

Yes, After reading your comment and looking back I do notice my hips moving up first. I see what your saying I will keep practicing and will update you with a video in a week or so. Thanks Steve for all of your help I appreciate your patience, such a simple move but always one I have had difficulty with Barbell exercises always get the best of me.

No problem, Joe.  Pavel, Rif and others here have been kind enough to look at videos of my deadlifts and give me feedback over the years.  I'm happy to be able to pass it along.

-S-

Here is an update on my progress, I have completed Easy Strength and am happy with the results. I started my bench press at 185 lbs and finished with 275 lbs, my squat started weak at 135 lbs and finished at 255 lbs. Finally my dead lift which all of you have helped me tweak, I started at 225lbs and have finished comfortably at 315lbs (video below). I am sure I still have more tweaking to do which I will continue to work at. I'm going to going to run through ROP again in till I can finish it with the 32kg and press the 40 kg, and after that I am going to aim my sights towards the sinister goal. Thanks again for the help and feel free to critique this dead lift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom