all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Form feedback - single arm swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KB_ATX1032

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi everyone. After using a 25kg bell for quite a while in my workouts, I've finally graduated to a 32kg bell. After some tough transition (and many pinched calluses that quickly pointed out to me the importance of hand maintenance), I've been able to complete the Simple portion of S&S.

That being said, I am unsure of how good my technique is on the swings. Could the community give me some feedback on how I could improve?

Many thanks in advance!

RJ

Swings look good. Solid, strong, and effective, with no major issues. I agree a side view would help.

Do you always do 10+10 in a set, or was that just for video?

I'll get a side view in the next couple days. Thanks.

Regarding reps, I did have to work up to 10 reps each arm, but that is my normal rep count now. I'll admit, I haven't purchased (or read) the Kettlebell Simple & Sinister book, but what I've seen is that is the standard rep count for the single arm swings.

I'll get a side view in the next couple days. Thanks.

Regarding reps, I did have to work up to 10 reps each arm, but that is my normal rep count now. I'll admit, I haven't purchased (or read) the Kettlebell Simple & Sinister book, but what I've seen is that is the standard rep count for the single arm swings.

Do 10 swings with your right arm. Set the bell down and rest. Do 10 swings with your left arm. Set the bell down and rest. Repeat that 5 times for 100 total swings (50 with each arm).

And - buy the book! There's tons of good stuff in it... Including me, quoted on a few pages ;) :) look for the "Revised and Updated" version.

Pretty good. I'm sure the instructors will weigh in on this. From the first video, you could probably work on squaring your shoulders more. It gets hard with heavier bells, especially at the bottom, but try to pull them as square as you can on top (standing plank). You are also bending your wrists downward on the float. I'm not sure if I ever seen or noticed anyone doing that before. I'm guessing here, but maybe you are trying to adjust your grip on the float to get a deep palm grip for the descent??? Have you ever tried a hook grip or putting the grip more out into your fingers?

Last edited:
@Papa Georgio I noticed my wrist for the first time with the side view. And your guess is right...I am trying to re-grip the bell on the float. Grip strength and a bit of hand sweat is the cause. I do put a small amount of chalk, but even then I have to reposition on the float to alleviate some skin pinching on my calluses. Too little chalk, and I feel like my grip strength is gonna give. I will play around with the grip on a smaller bell and see how that feels.

As far as the square shoulders at the top, that's something I will work on as well.

Thanks.

I think your arm and shoulder are doing some 'extra' work... Try to keep the shoulder down/packed/immobile, and the arm like a rope; upper arm relaxed and forearm only tight from gripping the handle. Don't worry about how high the bell goes. Just throw it with the hip extension and let it rise to wherever it gets to. Yes, working on the grip as the handle hooked in your fingers with a smaller bell is a good idea.

Your standing plank looks a bit soft too... pull up the kneecaps for tight legs (full knee extension), hold that tight plank as the bell is rising, then falling, then at the last second, move quickly to hinge.

Looking pretty good, though! Keep after it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom