all posts post new thread

Forum Business Forum Reorganization

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I always use the "New Posts" button and don't particularly pay attention to what category the post was part of. The new format works fine for me (I understand not everyone does this) and does make sense as so many questions relate to way more than just one modality or one topic, so instead of choosing which one is "best" you can just post your topic/question.
I think this depends on how much time one spends on the forum, at least to some extent. I also use New Posts for the most part but, at least as I see it, one has to check in fairly often for New Posts to be useful, otherwise you'll get an overwhelming number of things to read.

Of course, there is the alternative of using New Posts and then simply checking out what's most New and not worrying about whatever else you may not have read. That wouldn't be useful for me but I can see how it would be useful for some people. (I actually do the opposite most of the time - New Posts and then I look at the oldest threads first and work my way back to the beginning.)

Thank you for the comment, @BJJ Shawn.

-S-

The biggest drawback for me is the search function.

I often use search but I don't want the search to be global. For example, I would search 'hypertrophy' in the kettlebell forum because I was interested in reading about hypertrophy with kettlebells. Now when I search 'hypertrophy' I get a whole bunch of responses that are not directly related to what I'm looking for.

All in all I preferred the old one. I'm sure I'll adjust but that's the main drawback for me at the moment.

The biggest drawback for me is the search function.

I often use search but I don't want the search to be global. For example, I would search 'hypertrophy' in the kettlebell forum because I was interested in reading about hypertrophy with kettlebells. Now when I search 'hypertrophy' I get a whole bunch of responses that are not directly related to what I'm looking for.

All in all I preferred the old one. I'm sure I'll adjust but that's the main drawback for me at the moment.
Click Search, then Advanced Search, then Search Threads, then keyword "hypertrophy" and topic "kettlebell" and you'll have exactly what you've asked for.

-S-

I really miss the ,closed‘ parts of the forum for attendees of the SE, SW, BS etc events where we can discuss specific plans and parts of the event.
During times of online events we should keep those online places to ask questions and spread valuable information in detail.

We are combining most of our forum sections into one.
This amount to dumping all your clothes into one drawer; socks, underwear, t-shirts, polo shirts, dress shirts, etc.

There is a definite "Cross-Pollination" effect. In looking for sock, you are exposed all the other clothes that you have.

Dewey Decimal Library System

The Dewey Decimal System is a way to put books in order by subject.

This method allows individual to find specific references to the subject that are interested in.

Chaos

This form is now chaotic.

I am sure there was a reason for going to this method.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a good one.

No reply needed. I understand your job is takes the "Company Position" and sell it.

Last edited:
This amount to dumping all your clothes into one drawer; socks, underwear, t-shirts, polo shirts, dress shirts, etc.

There is a definite "Cross-Pollination" effect. In looking for sock, you are exposed all the other clothes that you have.

Dewey Decimal Library System

The Dewey Decimal System is a way to put books in order by subject.

This method allows individual to find specific references to the subject that are interested in.

Chaos

This form is now chaotic.

I am sure there was a reason for going to this method.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a good one.

No reply needed. I understand your job is takes the "Company Position" and sell it.
All you have to do is click the category you want and you'll be there. It's really not much different than before. Click a gray shaded box that says kettlebell and you'll have all the kettlebell posts starting with most recent. Also, I just tried it and you can click the category you want and once you're there save it to your favorites and you'll be able to always go directly to that category, if having to click one button is too much.

I don't mind the new changes, but I always use "New posts" so there's not much difference from my view.

However, all the nutrition posts are showing up in "New posts", even the food logs. They used to be excluded. I'm hoping that can be brought back, to exclude at least the logs, if not all the Nutrition posts from the "New posts" lists. (And if not, they why have a separate Nutrition forum?)

I don't mind the new changes, but I always use "New posts" so there's not much difference from my view.

However, all the nutrition posts are showing up in "New posts", even the food logs. They used to be excluded. I'm hoping that can be brought back, to exclude at least the logs, if not all the Nutrition posts from the "New posts" lists. (And if not, they why have a separate Nutrition forum?)
Never noticed New posts, thanks.

Still relatively new to the Forum so for me it's no big deal. Was a little confused when I opened the page today but I understand. Moderating a forum with so many sections can get hectic and time-consuming I'm sure.

Thank you Steve for explaining the changes. If people consider themselves "Hard Living Types" then a Forum change is a weird thing to be upset about.

I gave this one a topic of Off-Topic, but it was inspired by, and mentions, the forum reorganization:

-S-

Well, I think each organization principles has its trade-offs. Fixed categories allow subgroups to build, which has its pros and cons. This forum might suffer some growth pain. I am not sure how it can maintain its feeling of familiarity and cosiness when the audience grows. This is a general issue for movements, organizations, etc. Those qualitied cannot be scaled effectively.

In general I prefer a "tagged" vs. a "categorized" approach, also for e-mail organization. Therefore I welcome the new design. For example, I usually have only two folders in my mail programs: Inbox + Archive. I then try to write or tag my mails in a way that I can find relevant info with a simple search. This is also the approach championed by googlemail. However, this approach can look confusing when there is a lot of incoming info. Therefore even googlemail has changed and allows a pre-filtered inbox (especially good for people receiving lots of newsletters, notifications and admails).

But as I am one of those "new posts" users nothing has changed much and I could live with the old version.

Long story short: there is no perfect design and I appreciate the effort to work on a better information flow.

I will look into that, @Anna C, but without getting into the weeds, it's not something I am going to change immediately. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention, for sure.

-S-

I like the fact it's just one click to re-organize into sub-categories. In general, I'm a fan of the new layout

@Steve Freides
I believe there used to be a button at the bottom of each post to start a conversation with the poster, that would automatically quote the post in the body of the message and insert the thread title in the message subject line.

I've used that feature a number of times in the past and missed it when I recently wanted to respond privately to a specific post.

I believe there used to be a button at the bottom of each post to start a conversation with the poster, that would automatically quote the post in the body of the message and insert the thread title in the message subject line.
The button is associated with the user, not the post, and nothing about how that feature works has changed as part of the forum reorganization.

On desktop/laptop, hover your mouse over the username and you will see it.

On mobile devices, touch the username and you will see the same.

Thank you for reporting my mistaken move of a thread earlier today, @Steve W. I've since rectified the situation, which was caused by me not remembering how the forum is now organized.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom