all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Forward head posture

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Waryrenn

Level 5 Valued Member
I would like to use kettlebells to address the alignment and/or strength of my neck.
I would love to take strides towards correcting my forward head position.

At home I have
2* 4kg
10kg
16kg
24kg (hardly used)
32kg (as yet untouched)

There is a modest work gym (barely room to get-up) which I can access 3-4 days per week and I can access before work or during lunch. Here I have access to:
10kg & 12kg (double work?)
16kg
20kg

Any advice highly appreciated.

Simple & Sinister is a good basic program. Use the kettlebell deadlift progressions in the book and practice these each and every session with perfect posture and standing tall at the top. Then try to bring this to your swings. Video yourself every session and see how you're doing. Same with get-ups, practice your ideal head and neck alignment through every position.

If you are sitting in a chair, or standing, can you maintain a head position with ears over shoulders? Is it comfortable? Wondering if it's more of a habit than any sort of restrictions...

Swings are particularly easy to get into the habit of forward head posture at the top, which will tend to hurt your cause rather than help it. You have to be vigilant. But they can really help if you make the posture a priority and focus.

Look into Thoracic spine mobilizing, arm bars, Bretzels etc. Also subscribe to Tim Anderson's Original Strength Youtube channel. There's a gold mine of info and techniques to achieve your goals if you know where to look. There's also OS books available.

Getting stronger is also a requirement. @Anna C has great suggestions too.

Thank you both.
My posture is definitely a habitual issue as opposed to an issue of restriction.
I am concerned about the long term effects of ingrained poor head posture. The 'natural' position no longer feels natural.
I appreciate the pointers.

forward-head-posture-5.jpg Second vote for armbars and bretzels.
The key is to keep your neck relaxed while allowing thoracic rotation and scapular depression and retraction.

The program Escape your Fighting Stance from Flexible Steel is awesome. It not only gives you effective programming for the armbars and bretzels but it also gives you the best cues I've seen for the armbars. I've seen a lot of people do armbars wrong and completely miss the benefits. (The goal is to get your hips to touch the ground while working towards stacking your shoulders and keeping you arm locked and vertical).
armbar_diagram.jpg

They even put a free version of the program online, it's a little different but basically the same idea.

Untying the 4 Knots: Jon Engum's 4 Weeks to Flexible Steel Program

The links for what to do each day are at the bottom of the page.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom