FPP for 290lb guy

Discussion in 'Bodyweight' started by Brandon Trahan, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Brandon Trahan

Brandon Trahan Double-Digit Post Count

Hey guys. I’ve followed strong first years and have revisited the fighter pull up program a few times. I realized Though it isn’t benefiting me because I can only get half way up. Any advice on what i should Practice for a while before even messing with the FPP?

I’m new to the forum so please forgive me if i missed Something as to posting something i shouldnt Have. Cheers.

SamTX likes this.
  2. Bro Mo

Bro Mo Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Bent or seated rows and weight loss.

3. NickTorin

NickTorin Double-Digit Post Count

A good blanket cure-all for Pullups is getting strong in hollow hang and flex arm hang for time.

hollow-hang-flexed-hang-positions (1).jpg

Here is a great article by StrongFirst Master Instructor Karen Smith on building your Pullups from the ground up:

How to Progress Yourself to Your First Pull-up | StrongFirst

Excerpt from the article:
    "Training to increase your hang time on the bar will add to your pulling strength also. After running many case studies, I have found the following averages:

• Building up to a 45-60 second hold will allow you to own one chin-up
    • Building up to 3 chin-ups will allow you to own one pull-up"
    There are so many more benefits from her program than just being able to execute Pull-ups properly (and safely), but I'll let you discover the joys of timed hangs for yourself if you decide to try her program.

Bret S. likes this.
  4. NickTorin

NickTorin Double-Digit Post Count

5. Brandon Trahan

Brandon Trahan Double-Digit Post Count

Y
    yes he did. But still, thank you for chiming in !

SamTX and NickTorin like this.
  6. H. Mac

H. Mac Double-Digit Post Count

After a few docs and therapists told me that my Pull/Chin Up days were over, here’s what helped me prove them wrong: (1) Bar hangs, (2) Slow negatives; and (3) lots and lots of Rows and Deadlifts. I first did the FPP using Chin Ups, an excellent, beneficial exercise that’s usually a bit easier, before doing it with Pull Ups.

Good luck!

Bret S. and Brandon Trahan like this.
  7. JohnDoeman

JohnDoeman Double-Digit Post Count

I have had the same issue before. I am myself about 250lbs and 66" tall (5'6"). I am actually doing the FPP program (including 5 other movements as a circuit with 1 min rest b/w sets). Anyhow, I found the single best way to work yourself up to pullups is the use of bands. I currently have two bands (one heavier, one lighter). I started with both bands for an entire cycle, then dropped the small band (using heavy one only), then used the lighter one for a cycle. You may need three bands of varying resistance...etc. But this method has allowed me to perform 10+ pullups at my weight now.

I also do mainly Chin-Ups or Neutral Grip Pullups. I find my elbows / biceps hurt when I do normal pullups now.

8. watchnerd

watchnerd Triple-Digit Post Count

I compete in the 109 kg weight class (new IWF category). When I'm in a competition prep cycle, I lean out enough and start working on my pulls more, I can do pull ups.

But during the off season, when I spend so much time deadlifting, squating, and pressing, making my posterior chain, legs, and shoulders stronger, my pull up starts to fade.

Except in the lighter weight classes, I think it's really hard to build a stronger squat, pull, clean, and snatch, while I also building a stronger pull up.

For me, the pull up thus a seasonal exercise.

9. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Dir. of Community Engagement Staff Member Senior Instructor

@Brandon Trahan, why pull-ups? What’s the big picture, the long-term goal, and where are you in relationship to it now?

-S-

10. Kyle Kowalczuk

Kyle Kowalczuk Double-Digit Post Count

It has been my experience that once you can do 5 strict, the FPP becomes relevant. Until then you should be doing GTG tactics with varied bent arm hangs, negatives, and rows