all posts post new thread

Bodyweight FPP for 290lb guy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Brandon Trahan

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey guys. I’ve followed strong first years and have revisited the fighter pull up program a few times. I realized Though it isn’t benefiting me because I can only get half way up. Any advice on what i should Practice for a while before even messing with the FPP?

I’m new to the forum so please forgive me if i missed Something as to posting something i shouldnt Have. Cheers.

have revisited the fighter pull up program a few times. I realized Though it isn’t benefiting me because I can only get half way up. Any advice on what i should Practice for a while before even messing with the FPP?

A good blanket cure-all for Pullups is getting strong in hollow hang and flex arm hang for time.

hollow-hang-flexed-hang-positions (1).jpg

Here is a great article by StrongFirst Master Instructor Karen Smith on building your Pullups from the ground up:

How to Progress Yourself to Your First Pull-up | StrongFirst

Excerpt from the article:
"Training to increase your hang time on the bar will add to your pulling strength also. After running many case studies, I have found the following averages:

• Building up to a 45-60 second hold will allow you to own one chin-up
  • Building up to 3 chin-ups will allow you to own one pull-up"
There are so many more benefits from her program than just being able to execute Pull-ups properly (and safely), but I'll let you discover the joys of timed hangs for yourself if you decide to try her program.

After a few docs and therapists told me that my Pull/Chin Up days were over, here’s what helped me prove them wrong: (1) Bar hangs, (2) Slow negatives; and (3) lots and lots of Rows and Deadlifts. I first did the FPP using Chin Ups, an excellent, beneficial exercise that’s usually a bit easier, before doing it with Pull Ups.

Good luck!

I have had the same issue before. I am myself about 250lbs and 66" tall (5'6"). I am actually doing the FPP program (including 5 other movements as a circuit with 1 min rest b/w sets). Anyhow, I found the single best way to work yourself up to pullups is the use of bands. I currently have two bands (one heavier, one lighter). I started with both bands for an entire cycle, then dropped the small band (using heavy one only), then used the lighter one for a cycle. You may need three bands of varying resistance...etc. But this method has allowed me to perform 10+ pullups at my weight now.

I also do mainly Chin-Ups or Neutral Grip Pullups. I find my elbows / biceps hurt when I do normal pullups now.

I compete in the 109 kg weight class (new IWF category). When I'm in a competition prep cycle, I lean out enough and start working on my pulls more, I can do pull ups.

But during the off season, when I spend so much time deadlifting, squating, and pressing, making my posterior chain, legs, and shoulders stronger, my pull up starts to fade.

Except in the lighter weight classes, I think it's really hard to build a stronger squat, pull, clean, and snatch, while I also building a stronger pull up.

For me, the pull up thus a seasonal exercise.

It has been my experience that once you can do 5 strict, the FPP becomes relevant. Until then you should be doing GTG tactics with varied bent arm hangs, negatives, and rows

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom