all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Frequency vs Volume?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Macemurfy

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all, I apologize if this has been posted before but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Quick background first:
6"2 and 290 lbs. Trying to shed about 40 more lbs.
I've got my diet in check and working out 4 days a week currently. Down already 10 lbs since beginning about 3 weeks ago. I'm getting enough protein etc...
The goal currently is not hypertrophy, but fat loss.

Current program:
M-W-F-Sun
KB snatch "ladders"
35 lbs- 5 reps each side
30 sec rest
53 lbs- 5 reps each side
30 sec rest
75 lbs- 5 reps each side
30 sec rest
For 5 rounds total for 150 reps and 8150lbs volume

My question is:
Would it be better to increase by 1 round every 2 weeks until reps total 300 per session? (16300 lbs volume x 4 days a week= 65200 lbs weekly)
OR
Increase the frequency to 6 days week? (8150lbs x6 days = 48900 weekly)

Hello all, I apologize if this has been posted before but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Quick background first:
6"2 and 290 lbs. Trying to shed about 40 more lbs.
I've got my diet in check and working out 4 days a week currently. Down already 10 lbs since beginning about 3 weeks ago. I'm getting enough protein etc...
The goal currently is not hypertrophy, but fat loss.

Current program:
M-W-F-Sun
KB snatch "ladders"
35 lbs- 5 reps each side
30 sec rest
53 lbs- 5 reps each side
30 sec rest
75 lbs- 5 reps each side
30 sec rest
For 5 rounds total for 150 reps and 8150lbs volume

My question is:
Would it be better to increase by 1 round every 2 weeks until reps total 300 per session? (16300 lbs volume x 4 days a week= 65200 lbs weekly)
OR
Increase the frequency to 6 days week? (8150lbs x6 days = 48900 weekly)
I have done it many times, but I usually don't like to snatch 2 days in a row to give my hands a day to rest and toughen up. So I'd vote to increase volume, or start swapping out lighter sets with heavier sets. If your hands are pretty seasoned for snatches, maybe you could try to increase frequency. Good Luck!

I have done it many times, but I usually don't like to snatch 2 days in a row to give my hands a day to rest and toughen up. So I'd vote to increase volume, or start swapping out lighter sets with heavier sets. If your hands are pretty seasoned for snatches, maybe you could try to increase frequency. Good Luck!

Thanks! I somehow forgot to think about option 3 which you pointed out ? But yes, part of my concern was the rest/recovery. I appreciate your input!

An update:
I actually did work up to 300 snatches 4x a week.
100x35
100x53
100x75
Given the outlined program.
This was not exactly fun lol. It did however work. Along with the progress photo, it caused a change in my resting heart rate from about 98 bpm, to now 73 bpm on avg. Actual bodyweight went from 297 to 246 and counting!
For the last 3 weeks I changed the program due to a benign little cyst/ingrown hair on my forearm (not from doing snatches) that I had removed and the stitches were getting banged up by the 75. I actually like this program a lot now, it's a real smoker.

5 min snatch test with 53lb kb.
Rest 2 min
5 min snatch test with 53 lb kb.
Rest 3 min
5 min snatch test with 53 lb kb.

Thats 20 snatches EMOM, takes about 40 sec. Then 20 sec rest and repeat. Including rest periods, thats a 20 minute, 300 snatch workout.

Try it and enjoy comrades!
Thanks to everyone,, but especially to @Anna C for helping with form check!

Attachments

• 20200429_225842.jpg
    20200429_225842.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 9-26-2020 248lbs.jpg
    9-26-2020 248lbs.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 53
100x35
100x53
100x75
That's some serious snatching.

Have you considered doing it in reverse? 75# is a weight I respect and wouldn't like to snatch it fatigued. Maybe you are also ready to try heavier, or to do more with the 75#, if you are interested.

If you wanna smoke yourself, I always preferred swings over snatches. They seem to be more forgiving.

Have you considered doing it in reverse? 75# is a weight I respect and wouldn't like to snatch it fatigued. Maybe you are also ready to try heavier, or to do more with the 75#, if you are interested.

If you wanna smoke yourself, I always preferred swings over snatches. They seem to be more forgiving.

If I was doing them in blocks of 100, I would definitely mix it up and try it in reverse. The beauty of the ladder is the 35 and even 53 feel like light sets so they're almost a break lol.

Have you considered doing it in reverse? 75# is a weight I respect and wouldn't like to snatch it fatigued. Maybe you are also ready to try heavier, or to do more with the 75#, if you are interested. mcdvoice

This was not exactly fun lol. It did however work. Along with the progress photo, it caused a change in my resting heart rate from about 98 bpm, to now 73 bpm on avg. Actual bodyweight went from 297 to 246 and counting!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom