all posts post new thread

Kettlebell From 24 kg to 36 kg S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ferreyramarquesto@gm

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi everyone,
I´m new to the forum. Read ETK and S&S 1.0, started kb trainning, read S&S 2.0 few weeks ago.
40 yo, 75 kg, a bit over worked and a 5 mo baby at home.
Doing S&& with 24kg first 5-6 mornings a week, and running the remaining. No more like 4 days of S&S and 3 of LISS (run).
(maybe some pullups/push ups in the office, but really small volume).

Could not get a 32kg in my area, so I purchased a 36.
After reading S&S 2.0 went back to 16kg S&S and started to add 2 sets with 24kgs every 4th week.

How should you think I should incorporate the 36kg, I am specially worried about the TGU.

My plan is to reach Simple wit 36kg at some time next year, and then turn to ROP.

Any one any ideas/experience about skipping the 32kg bell or how to work around it?
Thanks in advance,
Fred

Hi everyone,
I´m new to the forum. Read ETK and S&S 1.0, started kb trainning, read S&S 2.0 few weeks ago.
40 yo, 75 kg, a bit over worked and a 5 mo baby at home.
Doing S&& with 24kg first 5-6 mornings a week, and running the remaining. No more like 4 days of S&S and 3 of LISS (run).
(maybe some pullups/push ups in the office, but really small volume).

Could not get a 32kg in my area, so I purchased a 36.
After reading S&S 2.0 went back to 16kg S&S and started to add 2 sets with 24kgs every 4th week.

How should you think I should incorporate the 36kg, I am specially worried about the TGU.

My plan is to reach Simple wit 36kg at some time next year, and then turn to ROP.

Any one any ideas/experience about skipping the 32kg bell or how to work around it?
Thanks in advance,
Fred
I can see your hesitancy with the TGU.
You could split the move down and do some roll to elbows (or at least try) and/or some push presses to find the overhead lockout position.
There are quite a few threads here on the forum on this general topic (i.e. struggling with progressing the TGU) and a general overview of advice is multiple reps, pauses at each transition plus higher volume.

Oof. That's a big jump.

Can you press the 24KG quite handily? Like 5x5? How about 24KG getups in reverse order for awhile. That will force you to do a clean and press to get overhead, and then as an added bonus you could add a single floor press to each getup. Longer time under load, it will help your strength prior to moving to the 36...

Could you perhaps borrow someone else's 32KG just to see how it feels? Do you have any smaller plates that you could duct tape to the 24KG and use during an intermediary period before you try and transition to the 32KG? 12KG is a pretty big jump for TGU's.

I'm a fan of small jumps in weight. 35lbs, 44lbs, 53lbs and just got a 70lbs. I can't imagine even going from a 35 to a 53. You can't order the correct weight KB from Roguefitness.com ?

How well can you handle the 24 for getups?? Are you already confident in doing snatches??

Thanks for the responses.
Never done snatches with 24, Just S&S timed with 24kg.

a) Would it be good to start ROP with 24 instead and once proficcient with it, go back to S&S.

b) backing to 16kg, and going up all the way up to 24kg (2 higher sets each Month) wouldn’t give me the volumen and tensión to Try to jump at least with partials?

Honestly I Believe I can not return mi kb, and I don’t want to buy more. I made a mistake, and i am thinkibg of how to maje use of the 36kg

Some good ideas here, but i have this feeling everybody thinks it’s a to big/impossible jump.

a) Would it be good to start ROP with 24 instead and once proficcient with it, go back to S&S.

b) backing to 16kg, and going up all the way up to 24kg (2 higher sets each Month) wouldn’t give me the volumen and tensión to Try to jump at least with partials?

Honestly I Believe I can not return mi kb, and I don’t want to buy more. I made a mistake, and i am thinkibg of how to maje use of the 36kg

Some good ideas here, but i have this feeling everybody thinks it’s a to big/impossible jump.
I had an awkward period of time when I was stuck with a 24kg bell.
During Covid times I ordered my 32kg kettlebell and it didn't arrive for many many months after I was already proficient with the 24kg kettlebell.

in the meantime - without asking anyone - Incrementally I worked up to doing 200 swings and 30 getups before my 32kg bell arrived.

I remember the 32kg bell was easier than I expected to handle. I don't think it's perfect. but I think that higher volume with a smaller bell helps. maybe not completely but it helps.

I think this would be a good idea. You might even have to start with the 16 kg and that is fine.

One tweak: I would reserve 10 minutes BEFORE presses for ballistics and just shoot for some easy to medium A+A style practice.
1H Swings: Sets of 5-10 with the 24
2H Swings: Sets of 3-5 with the 36 (at the beginning probably only 5 sets, later 10 sets); sometimes sets of 10-15 with the 24
Snatches: sets of 5-10 with the 16 kg, later with the 24

Keep some easy TGUs on off-days (1-5 sets), and sometimes include start holds with the 36 and later roll-to-elbow. This is also specialized variety for the presses (overloads).

Last edited:
I agree, that is a huge jump. Even 24 to 32 is quite a big one and many (my self included) get the 28 to split the gap there.
Good ideas above. ROP might be a good solution...

This might be the dumbest idea ever, but I`ll throw it in anyway... :)
If you know someone who has proper tools, could you cut 4kg off from the bottom of the 36 bell?

Something to think of, since you already have bought it and can't buy more at this time: you don't have to go from a 24kg getup to a 36kg getup, or even a 24kg swing to a 36kg swing, in one go. You can work on partials.

For the getup, get comfortable pressing (with one or two hands) the 36kg into position while laying down. Get comfortable supporting it with just one hand. Then get comfortable coming up to your elbow. Spend a couple weeks there, building up to multiple sets of 1-3 reps - just getting to your elbow. Then extend it when you're comfortable and get to your hand. Again, spend some time here, and build up to 1-3 reps with multiple sets. Do this at the beginning of your workout while you're still fresh.

It is a big jump, and just getting comfortable two-hand pressing it into position for the getup and then supporting it with one hand - all while still just lying still - is probably where you'll need to start.

For the swing, get comfortable two-hand deadlifting it. Learn to generate a lot of tension against the bell before even moving it. Then set up in swing position and get comfortable hiking it back, using two hands. Then do a single swing with two hands. Stand up, shake it off, and when you're ready, do it again. Over time, you'll build confidence and go from a couple singles from the dead stop to doing sets.

I would say run ROP, then also work on slow getups with the 24..

Another often skipped recommendation..

Get in touch either in person or virtually with an SFG. That usually speeds up progress

Buy a ten lb plate and duct tape it to the bottom of the 24 bell very securely. This has worked very well for me and others on the forum.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom