all posts post new thread

Barbell From critique conventional deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

keyan

First Post
Hello folks. I am long time lurker on this forum. I have been using kettlebells for about 1.5yrs but more recently started incorporating barbell work. Currently I am doing the Daily Dose Deadlift plan alongside S&S.

Would appreciate some advice on my deadlift form. A couple things I have noticed myself and am still working on: my shins are getting a bit beat up despite wearing long socks and long pants, I have a hard time lowering the bar while maintaining a straight back (you can see this a little in the video).

Any pointers would be helpful. Thank you.

@keyan, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Would appreciate some advice on my deadlift form
Personally, although a lot of people do it, I cannot understand bending down to the bar with a rounded back and then straightening it before pulling. You swing a kettlebell, so get down to the bar with a hip hinge.

A couple things I have noticed myself and am still working on: my shins are getting a bit beat up despite wearing long socks and long pants
To see your shins, please video from 45 degrees in front of the bar - your camera is slightly in front of the bar but we need to be able to see around the plates to your feet/shins/knees.

I have a hard time lowering the bar while maintaining a straight back (you can see this a little in the video).
I would practice, with a lighter weight, lowering the bar slowly and under control by reversing the groove in which you lifted it. And since we try to bring the hips forward in the deadlift, you'll likely find that your focus has to be on constantly pushing the hips backwards as you lower in order to maintain tightness, control, and a flat back on the way down.

-S-

Looks very good, @keyan!

Agree with Steve, with a camera angle about 45 degrees in front we can see a little better.

Thank you both for your advice! I have taken another video from the suggested angle. When making the video I realized part of the shin issue is that the when lowering the bar it bounces off the floor and hits my shins sometimes.

I cannot understand bending down to the bar with a rounded back and then straightening it before pulling. You swing a kettlebell, so get down to the bar with a hip hinge.

Good point, I didn't even consider hinging down previously. I learned this approach from some videos produced by traditional powerlifters. I gave the hinge a shot in the video above.

I would practice, with a lighter weight, lowering the bar slowly and under control by reversing the groove in which you lifted it. And since we try to bring the hips forward in the deadlift, you'll likely find that your focus has to be on constantly pushing the hips backwards as you lower in order to maintain tightness, control, and a flat back on the way down.

I tried this and indeed things feel much better when I do a controlled lower. But when I try to fall with the bar to the floor things deteriorate a bit. Note I am trying to avoid a controlled lower with heavier weight as Pavel suggests in PTTP, and also because a slow lower with heavy weight tends to cause me lower back soreness.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom