all posts post new thread

From scratch to “Sinister”

Ege

Level 6 Valued Member
This is a journal from not being able to do TGU’s due to limited overhead mobility, not knowing how to Swing and not having endurance enough to do 10 rep naked TGU in 10 min.

Goal: Sinister

S&S: Because my version who is “sinister” will be much more stronger, flexible and durable than who I am now. I will get older during this journey, but will have better physical condition over all. To be able to state this with full confidence
Below are other routines and challenges I want to tackle because number 1, I have a sedentary life if I don’t exercise, number 2 daily done below have a “healing” effect on me.
No. S&S does not require any add on in my opinion.
S&S is my program of choice and I will be consistent with it. All the rest are nice or good to have for me. My fitness goal, “job” is to hit Sinister. I have to work a lot even to start practicing S&S @16 kg, due to mobility issues. My low cardio will also be a limiting factor. Leave Sinister aside, simple looks almost impossible to achieve. I think hitting Sinister might be possible with in three years of this writing at best. If life gets busier, I will just stick to S&S. It is my program minimum, of choice. Choose your program minimum and follow.

GTG: Almost magical. Increase strength in muscle, joints and ligaments without any cost.

Pavel T’s Super Joints: Almost magical. Best return on investment for your buck. Feel younger.

Pavel T’s Relax in to stretch: Fastest route to flexibility.

Alex Salkin’s 9 minute challenge: Brilliant challenge, with almost no cost you get a better version of your self. I still can’t load S&S since I need to learn the moves and mobility etc. And I needed a minimal program that I can do daily to complement my preparation phase to S&S along side w GTG pushups. I will see how it goes.

Walk, cycling,swim: Pavel T and American Health organization recommends LISS. I won’t argue w Pavel. I believe 20 minutes plus of any similar activity falls under LISS

My recommendations for new bees to speed up their process to be Stronger.
  1. Buy S&S book.
  2. Purchase SF KB fundamentals online course.
  3. Work w an SF certified coach.
Background:

1.5 years of training since I am 47, otherwise totally sedentary life style. Easy gainer. Very stiff, low cardio. Careful to what I eat in the last 1.5 years. Did not take “max” since I start my SF journey a few months ago. I was able to do 7 dead hang chin ups, 9 dips, and 12 push ups w pauses.
Measurements:

6/27/2022

5’8” (178 cm), 183 pounds (83 kg) w probably 22% fat.

WTH effects and real world transferability of strength, fitness level, cardio and mobility:
6/27/2022

I am taking my photos w shorts today. But I am not going to make them public.

I have been working on S&S get ready for 2-3 months by now. S&S even before I started the program increased my awareness on my lack of mobility, the importance of mobility and my lack of cardio. I have already increased my mobility.
GTG and Super Joints literally healed my left wrist issues, left shoulder pain. My right achilles tendon tendonitis feel slightly better.

PS: I have an other training log that I have started in “members only” section of Strongfirst forum. I am going to use this training log only moving forward. I highly encourage anyone to be a member of the forum.
I am starting this new thread as a training log open to everyone since my aim is to showcase a journey from scratch to sinister to all who can get value.

My other training log, members only, that I don’t use anymore. https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/always-novice-always-stronger.21925/page-3#post-420048

Last edited:
S&S get ready:

I practice S&S warm up and stretches before and after S&S get ready practices. I will do these drills until I can start S&S w acceptable form.
My left arm over head mobility will be good in an unknown time frame. Which prevents TGU’s at the time being. Hence I use OAPU progressions as my push grind until I can start TGU.

S&S warm up notes:

Currently I have one KB @16 kg. It’s heavy for me for Halos. So I do 3 reps instead of 5.
Keep warm up moves, slow and controlled. They are important.

Swings: I do SFKB fundamental drills to learn Swing w good form. I shoot for 1000 naked hinges and than 1000 loaded KB DL variations until I start swing drills. Day 5:
10 minutes:
NL~50 (Not counting reps w precision, focusing on form)
  • GTW x 5
  • Hinge toes raised x 5
  • Hinge X 5
Swing Drill Notes:
Slow and controlled. I use a dove to ensure neutral spine.

TGU: I do SFKB TGU drills to learn TGUs w good form. I shoot for 100 naked and 100 w shoes TGU I hope to fix my overhead mobility issue in the mean time. Day 5:
15 min.
NL~10 (not counting reps to focus on form)
  • Naked TGU w Good/Bad
TGU Drill Notes:
Try to keep perfect form. Explore every stage.

S&S Stretch Notes:
Take your time. Don’t rush.

Mourning Routine for 20 min:
  • Pavel T’s Super Joints: 4 min. Wrist,Knee,Neck,Shoulder,Elbow,Hip.
  • Pavel T’s Relax is in to stretch: 7 min. Sitting Hamstring, Overhead Reach, Bretzel (From strongfirst kb strong), Hip Flex Lounge.
Aleks Salkin’s 9 minute Challenge Day1:
Deceptively challenging workout. Dead bug synchronization is needed. Crawling while head is up, need to re-read the doc.

Morning routine notes: Take your time, explore every move and stretch.
GTG OAPU 2 x L/R 2
GTG Notes: Lower than my usual height.
LISS (Walk or cycling or Swimming): Cycle and Swim for 20 min each

Last edited:
Mourning Routine for 30 min:
  • Pavel T’s Super Joints: 5 min. Wrist,Knee,Neck,Shoulder,Elbow,Hip.
  • Pavel T’s Relax is in to stretch: 10 min. Sitting Hamstring, Overhead Reach, Upper Mid back, Bretzel (From strongfirst kb strong), wrist, Hip Flex Lounge.
  • Aleks Salkin’s 9 minute Challenge Day2: 15 min
  1. Marching 5
  2. Crawling 5
  3. Carry 1x16kg 0
GTG Shoulder Mobility and Toe Touch

S&S practice Day 6 (This is not an altered S&S, this is the “get ready for official S&S” phase which is constructed by mimicking the S&S itself)

S&S warm up + GS Drills & OS Squat Reset to re-wire body:

GS Drills including 6 point OS rocking
Halo
Bridge ( slow down on Bridges)

Swing Drills:
Toe Touch, 90/90, Frog, Hip Flex (Mobility issues fix)
Plank + push up ( to learn tension and connecting the body parts SF hardstyle)

NL ~ 60
  • GTW x 10
  • Hinge Toes lifted x10
  • 4 point rocking in between (OS DL Reset to re-wire body)
Hinge more in to DLs!
Repeat 3 times

TGU Drills:
NL~ I0

RibOpen, Hang/raise arm, Arm Bar (Mobility issues fix)
Naked TGU w Good/Bad L/R x 5

Remaining S&S stretch
QL

Last edited:
First, this is exciting stuff. There are good examples of folks from all walks of life, moving towards this.

Second, be diligent at tracking your progress. Do not be concerned with ebbs and flows in your training. Pivot if/when necessary.

Third, train to live.

Fourth, nothing takes the place on one-on-one coaching/assessment from an experienced SFG I or II, even if it's for a short period of time.

Leave Sinister aside, simple looks almost impossible to achieve. I think hitting Sinister might be possible with in three years of this writing at best. If life gets busier, I will just stick to S&S. It is my program minimum, of choice. Choose your program minimum and follow.
I started at 16kg swings and 8kg GUs. I did the SFG I in 2020 achieved Simple at 44 yrs old, 5'8" and 170 lbs. I am a desk jockey and do not have any remarkable athletic background.

I promise you much is possible with a good mindset and consistent training.

All the best to you on this. Focus on the practice and be less concerned with weight. It will come.

First, this is exciting stuff. There are good examples of folks from all walks of life, moving towards this.

Second, be diligent at tracking your progress. Do not be concerned with ebbs and flows in your training. Pivot if/when necessary.

Third, train to live.

Fourth, nothing takes the place on one-on-one coaching/assessment from an experienced SFG I or II, even if it's for a short period of time.

I started at 16kg swings and 8kg GUs. I did the SFG I in 2020 achieved Simple at 44 yrs old, 5'8" and 170 lbs. I am a desk jockey and do not have any remarkable athletic background.

All the best to you on this. Focus on the practice and be less concerned with weight. It will come.
All of your recommendations are really very important when you think throughly. I believe especially being less concerned about weight is going to help me at this stage in which, since I can’t load the S&S regimen, I am not only trying to get ready for S&S but also trying to keep my strength up by practicing lifts that I can load. On surface it looks great but deep dive, I end up as if I am following a lot of rabbits and miss one of the most important reasons that I have selected S&S as my program which is to have a relief from thinking what to do as a fitness workout, and stop doing many exercises etc. Instead I can ignore the fact that I can’t load S&S right now, and tell to my self that, in a way, I have started the S&S practice already in any ways. This will give me a relief mentally and might increase my chances to be committed and consistent w S&S which is regardless of the program you follow is the essence of training for life.

Thanks.

Best;

Ege

Third, train to live.

Hi @Ryan T ;

Could you please elaborate a bit more on “being diligent on tracking progress” ? What are your recommendations?

And what is ebb and flows?

Best and thanks;

Ege

Could you please elaborate a bit more on “being diligent on tracking progress” ? What are your recommendations?
You should maintain a log, like you are doing here.

And what is ebb and flows?
Ebb and flow is a phrase that refers to times when training will feel more solid and progressing well and other times when it will seem to stall. Be patient during those times.

Mourning Routine 30 min.
Super Joints,
Aleks Salkin 9 min, + BW SLDL 2 x 5

Wrist Stretch, Up dog down dog, Hip Lounge, Tactical Frog

GTG Arm Raise+Elephant walk x 3

S&S Practice

S&S Warm Up @ 16 kg
Swing Drills Day 7
NL ~ 60
-OA Plank
-GTW
-Hinge toes up.

TGU Partials Day 1
-Arm Bar x 1
-To Elbow @16 kg L/R x 12

S&S Stretches
Hang/Raise
90/90
Q/L
Rib Open
Tactical Frog
World’s Greatest Stretch

Mourning Mobility Routine 25 min.
Super Joints,
Aleks Salkin 9 min challenge.
BW SLDL 1 x 5 , Push Up 1 x 5.
Wrist Stretch, Up dog down dog, World greatest stretch, Tactical Frog

GTG Arm Raise+Elephant walk x 3

S&S Practice

S&S Warm Up @ 16 kg
Swing Drills Day 8
NL ~ 120
-OA Plank x 3
-GTW x 20
-Hinge toes up. X 20
Take a video of your self.

TGU Partials Day 2
-Arm Bar x 1
-To Elbow @16 kg L/R x 1
-To Hand @16 kg L/R x 1
-TGU @16 kg L/R x 2
Take a video of yourself.
S&S Stretches + Elephant Walk

Last edited:
Mourning Mobility Routine 25 min:
-Super Joints.
-6 Points Rocking, A Frame to Squat, Egg Roll, Marching, Walk in to squat, dead bug / 1 min each.
-Wrist Stretch, Tactical Frog, Cobra

GTG Elephant Walk + Arm Raise x 3

S&S Practice
S&S Warm Up
@ 16 kg
Notes on warm up:
Learn breathing in all moves. GS, more straight up, lower in to squat. Halo Glutes abs on all the time
Hip Bridges. More extension and longer pause at top.

Swing Drills Day 9
NL ~ 90
-Plank on elbow x 3
-GTW Dove x 10
-Hinge Dove toes up. x 10
-Hinge hands back x 10
Notes on Swing drills:
Hinge a bit furthar back, apart the world w feet and
Plank be careful to symmetry

TGU Drills Day 3
-Slow TGU @16 kg L/R x 2
Notes on TGUs:
Hinge, Chest Up, head straight, arm straight.

S&S Stretches + Rib Open.
Notes on Stretches:
Be patient. This is the most important part of your practice for future success.

Last edited:
Looking well and good. Building a foundation and taking your time. This is the way.

Reactions: Ege
Looking well and good. Building a foundation and taking your time. This is the way.
Thanks a lot Ryan.
Thinking through what you have said, about not caring the weights, helped me a lot.

I have understood practice versus workout mentality cause of this input.

With hinges, DL’s and squats, I will take my time, cause internally I feel, there is still room to improve. Indeed if I started swings today (I did them for a month) in a few weeks, they could look okay. But I know those drills will help me a lot.

W TGUs, its a bit different, though there is still a lot of room to learn technique, naked TGUs stopped being productive for me after maybe 30 lifts.

I need weight to “teach” me.

I believe by the time I start Swings, I will own the TGUs @ 16 kg. I will not rush Swings, so easy to “cheat” and think that your swings are good.

W TGUs, its a bit different, though there is still a lot of room to learn technique, naked TGUs stopped being productive for me after maybe 30 lifts.

I need weight to “teach” me.

I believe by the time I start Swings, I will own the TGUs @ 16 kg. I will not rush Swings, so easy to “cheat” and think that your swings are good.
Good observations. One comment I will make is sometimes you can benefit from upping the weight because if your body mechanics and technique are good enough to keep you safe, the heavier weights can be instructive and force you to clean your form up even more.

UNBELIEVABLE
My Push ups were not bad, but when I tried 16 kg press (my first ever press in life) I was shocked.. it was very heavy.

Today, I have decided to do My TGU practice from up to down.

After clean and rack the KB flew like a baloon :)

Is it the dove hinge waiking my glutes? Is it learning full body tension? Is it Aleks Salkin ground work? Is it the TGU practise ? Is it the mobility work?!

It is a combination of all. It is the Strongfirst! :))

Mourning Mobility Routine 30 min.
Super Joints.
Wrists, Ankles,Knees. Neck, elbows.
6 Points Rocking, GS, Egg Roll.
Aleks Salkin 9 min challenge.
BW SLDL 1 x 5
Wrist Stretch, Elephant walk, Tactical Frog

S&S Practice
S&S Warm Up
@ 16 kg
Notes on warm up:
Learn breathing in all moves. GS, more straight up, lower in to squat. Halo Glutes abs on all the time

Swing Drills Day 10
NL ~ 120 !
-Plank on elbow x 2
-GTW Dove x 10
-Hinge Dove toes up. x 10
-Hinge hands back x 10
Notes on Swing drills:
Hinge a bit furthar back, apart the world w feet and

TGU Drills Day 4
-Cheat Clean, Press, back lounge, up / TGU @16 kg L/R x 5.
Notes on TGUs:
Hinge, Chest Up, head straight, arm straight.

S&S Stretches + Rib Open+Elephant walk.
Notes on Stretches:
Be patient. This is the most important part of your practice for future success.

Last edited:
Mourning Routine 25 Min.
SJ&OS Resets 10 min.
-Knee, wrist, shoulder, Neck
-Kneeling scap rots.
-Kneeling back rot.
-Egg Roll
-Rock
-Head Nodes
-Chest Open.
Aleks Salkin 9 Minutes
-Marching
-Crawling
-Carry
Take Aleks Salkin 9 min slow!
(NLs to be updated eod)
GTG
Dead Hang 2 minutes in total.
S&S Practice:
S&S warm up

DL Drills
Day 1
Hinge a bit further back, apart the world w feet and

Hardstyle Elbow Plank x 3
Tri Set
-Toes Up GTW w Dove x 10
-Toes up Magic drill @ 16 kg x5
-Stomp DL @ 16 kg x 3
Repeat Tri set 2 Times
BW SLDL 1x5
Row @ 16 kg 1x5
TGU Drills @ 16 kg
Turn Your head L/R, Proud Chest.

Rotate Shoulder, Good/Bad, Explore
-Half kneeling Windmill L/R - until enough
S&S Stretches & Brettzel

Last edited:
Mourning Routine 25 Min.
SJ&OS Resets 10 min.
-Knee, wrist, shoulder, Neck
-Kneeling scap rots.
-Kneeling hip rots.
-Egg Roll
-Rock
-Rock w Head Nodes
-Chest Open.
Aleks Salkin 9 Minutes
-Deadbugs
-Marching
-Carry
Finish with BW GS stretch & Prying Cobra

Have done three mobility and strength training days last week during vacation + did some GTG.

Objectives: Increase strength via OLOAPU and Tactical Pull Up Progressions, Increase OHS mobility for TGUs, Improve Gait and leg hypertrophy after surgery, learn KB swing.

Morning session: (30 min)
SJ-5 min
S&S warm up - 10 min
Aleks 9 min BW & KB challenge Day 8- 15 min

GTG
OLOAPU L/R : Counter top x 6
Dead hang 20 sec. x 4 (Hand flex after each)-Occasionally very light KB press @ 8 kg w “best form” after hang for mobility.

Last edited:
OS Resets 25 min including crawling
Aleks Salkin Posterior Challenge 10 min
Mobility work 30 min
Gtg hang and OLAUPU x 3

Aleks Salkin Posterior Challenge 10 min
Mobility and Ground work 45 min
Gtg hang and OLAUPU x 4

Back
Top Bottom