all posts post new thread

Barbell Front or Back

Front or Back Squat - you can choose only 1!

• Front

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Back

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Low bar back squat for maximum weight. Hip dominant, spares the knees. You can go into box squat from there. You can high bar if low bar is a problem. If choosing 2: low bar and front squat. Then, high bar, and probably never - zercher.
From my experience of doing it all.

I think low bar and front squat is an awesome combo covering the whole spectrum of squat mechanics. Altimate hips, and altimate upfront position.

Last edited:
This meso cycle I've been doing my front squats on a 20 degree squat wedge.

Sets of 10 are pretty gnarly.

Hits VMO hard.

I said Front Squat, answering for myself.

If I had to answer for trainees/students, I would say Back Squat.

I think Back Squat is more useful for getting someone strong for a few years. Once trunk stability and requisite mobility are present, front squat is at least as useful and maybe more so. But I wouldn't want to have limited my lower body strength to my ability to hold a good front squat position during my first few years of barbell training.

I said Front Squat, answering for myself.

If I had to answer for trainees/students, I would say Back Squat.

I think Back Squat is more useful for getting someone strong for a few years. Once trunk stability and requisite mobility are present, front squat is at least as useful and maybe more so. But I wouldn't want to have limited my lower body strength to my ability to hold a good front squat position during my first few years of barbell training.
Why do you consider front squat perhaps more useful than back for a “trained” person?
Thing I like about FS is the anterior loading. I don’t think it’ll ever not load the posterior chain but perhaps offers more balance…

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom