all posts post new thread

Barbell Front or Back

Front or Back Squat - you can choose only 1!

• Front

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Back

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Why do you consider front squat perhaps more useful than back for a “trained” person?
Thing I like about FS is the anterior loading. I don’t think it’ll ever not load the posterior chain but perhaps offers more balance…
I may be slightly biased because I'm mostly weightlifting now... but yes, overall I feel like a heavy front squat works everything in what feels to me like a very a balanced manner. Also seems like that might be a better complement to deadlifting. Deadlift, front squat, overhead press, and some accessory pull-ups and push-ups -- seems like a great combo, though I don't know if I've ever seen a program based on this.

I love the front squat. Pair something like front squats with RDLs/SLDLs and you've got a pretty winning combo.

I may be slightly biased because I'm mostly weightlifting now... but yes, overall I feel like a heavy front squat works everything in what feels to me like a very a balanced manner. Also seems like that might be a better complement to deadlifting. Deadlift, front squat, overhead press, and some accessory pull-ups and push-ups -- seems like a great combo, though I don't know if I've ever seen a program based on this.
You could run Easy Strength in that format. I might use bells for the front squat as to keep my warm ups a bit shorter. I ran this about four years ago. Easy Strength using the sets and reps that Dan John has set up followed by super setting KB front squats and pull ups for 2-3 x 5 reps and ab roller for 2-3 x 5 reps with farmers carries. I ran it for about 8 weeks and it worked great.

These upgrade zerchers IMO, but they do feel more like a goblet.

As a powerlifter I'm torn with the front squat. I like a squat. It's fun. But I'm not sure it helps my back squat or deadlift that much instead of the alternatives.
I’ve found when I front squat, my front squat goes up. And when I back squat my back squat goes up. I never saw much carryover either.

Deadlift, front squat, overhead press, and some accessory pull-ups and push-ups -- seems like a great combo, though I don't know if I've ever seen a program based on this.
I used front squat, OH press, weighted pull-ups and deadlifts - with push-ups/dips as accessories - last year in a Tactical Barbell cluster and it was fantastic. It even goes by the official name of the ‘Grunt’ cluster in the TB lexicon.

It felt really well balanced, nothing was over- or under-worked, and it didn’t knock me about like the Big 3 sometimes can. Highly recommended.

I’ve found when I front squat, my front squat goes up. And when I back squat my back squat goes up. I never saw much carryover either.

I think there's a lot of carryover for beginners. And the way you have to move in the front squat is good to learn to have in the toolbox.

I still like to do a front squat block every year. Whenever I come back, or have had someone come back, they have come back stronger. So something carries over to it. Alone, I'm not sure the front squat is enough to drive the lower body demands of the back squat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom