all posts post new thread

Old Forum front squat and back squat strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

flightposite

Level 6 Valued Member
hey guys I've frequented this board for a long time and I'm a big fan of pavel and his work. But this is my first time posting. I've recently been a little upset with myself because I have hit a major squatting rut.

I was in the mid 400lbs till I fell ill and lost a lot of muscle and strength.

I'm now in a sense starting from scratch it seems like. My max squat is roughly 355lbs. And its been frustrating struggling with weights I used to dominate. The reason I chose today to be my first post is that I was hoping to get some guidance and suggestions from pavel or perhaps some of the stronger veterans of this board who know a thing or two about squatting. I compete in weightlifting so both the front and back squat are very important to my sport.

I'm open and would appreciate any advice or suggestion anyone has to offer.

thank you.

Jordan, you mention an illness - perhaps this is as simple as trying to do too much, too soon after your return to training?

I don't think anyone here can know what might be the issue - it's best addressed in person by competent professionals.
 I would see the right doctor first to make sure your health is completely in order, then go for a Functional Movement Screen to see where you're at.   And I might take a few days or even longer off from training to be sure you're as rested as you need to be in order to make progress with your lifting.
-S-

thanks Steve for your reply.

and you may be right about the illness.

it really knocked me on my backside pretty good. But its been a little over two months and I feel completely healthy again. As for movement screening. I've been squatting for a long time due to my sport and feel like I'm pretty proficient at the squat movement.

Do you or anyone who visits my post have a favorite squat routine or program they would recommend?

How long have you been back "at it" post illness?

What programming had you been using before to get up to the mid-400s?

hi Bill. Its been about 3 or so months since I've been sick. Which is the reason Im a little flustered. I'm usually back to full strength after a sickness within a week or two.

Jordan, maybe it's time to go for an easy 1RM attempt and then use that to do another Smolov or similar again.

Still not a bad idea, IMHO, to check with a doctor - maybe some tests that might reveal if you are, in fact, back to 100% or not.

-S-

Thank you Steve. And I appreciate your responses and concerns. Your right there is no harm in just getting checked out by a doctor again and making sure everything is ok.

And you may be right about smolov as well. I was successful with it in the past. So no reason it shouldn't work well for me again. Then I could possibly switch to a Delorme or ladders style routine after the smolov cycle.

Pavel's "Power To The People Professional" and "Beyond Bodybuilding" have many good, tested routines in them - both worth a read for you, IMHO.

-S-

I own beyond bodybuilding. Your right it is an excellent book. It seems like everytime I open it I find a new gem.

but I've never seen the PTP professional version. Is it the same as the

Jordan, I have PTTP pro as a book, don't know it in any other form to compare.

-S-

oh ok. When I purchased it many years ago it was available in a DVD.

but it was just called power to the people. This is the first I've heard about a pro version. But thank you I will see if I can find a copy that isn't too pricey for now.

Jordan, two completely different things, just a similar name.

-S-

20 rep squat routine.

Havent tried other squat programs so i cant really  compare. Basically you decide how long you gonna run the program and how many times pr. week. Lets say 6 weeks, 3times pr. week. Thats 18 sessions. Now take your 5rm and subtract 5lbs 18 times. That is your starting weight. In every session you gonna do one set of 20 reps unbroken, and add 5 lbs for the next session. So your last session is gonna be your former 5rm, which you will be doing 20 reps unbroken. And yes you will pay with blood, sweat and tears by the end of the program :)

Something that may be important to consider in this type of situation is the advice I have read over and over again...Swallow your ego. I have been through this following a back injury from deadlifting a car for 11 reps in a strongman competition. It took me 6 months just to feel like I could even squat safely. When I started back I was appalled that I had gone from squatting >500 lbs, to struggling with anything over 315. So I swallowed my ego and seriously decreased the weights I was using. Slowly over the last couple of years I have built back most of the strength I had before, and also used this time to tighten up and explore my technique. 5 weeks ago I squatted 395 for a set of 7. I am very pleased with my progress and highly recommend this approach. I may be mistaken, but I believe Pavel once said, "start light, go slow." Sage advice.

awesome! Thanks Kristensen.

I've never tried the 20rep squat routine before. But it sounds brutal and effective! I may give that a go.

what kind of gains did you experience with that routine if you don't mind me asking?

Daniel Holtz Great advise!! Thank you so much for sharing. It makes me feel a lot better about my situation. And I am nowhere near the squatter that you are. I've squatted mid 400s at my best.

what type of routines did you find effective for you? You mentioned slow and steady progress. Have you use ladders or the bear by any chance?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom