all posts post new thread

Old Forum front squat and back squat strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Jordan I have not used ladders for squat. I have gone the opposite way as far as volume.

For back squat and other barbell lifts I have been using a template that I developed based on the concept of easy strength.  Specifically, keeping total reps to ten or less. Depending on your situation you would start out by finding a true 1 rep max, or a calculated 1 rep max from your best set. If it is the first time, especially coming off of injury, calculate 90% of that 1RM and use it as your new 1RM. For instance, my current squat cycle is based off of my recent best set of 395 x 7, that gives a calculated 1RM of 486. 90% of that is 437, I rounded up to 440. I record 440 as my 1RM for this cycle.

My current cycle is 12 weeks and is broken up into 3 block of 4 weeks each, 3 weeks of work and 1 week of recovery. Each block is based on a working max, which are percentages of my 1RM: Weeks 1-3 @ 85%, weeks 5-7 @ 93%, and weeks 9-11 @100%.

Block 1 Working Max = 375, Block 2 WM = 410, Block 3 WM = 440.

Week 1 - 3 x 80% WM, 3 x 85% WM, 3 x 90%WM

Week 2 - 2 x 78% WM, 2 x 83% WM, 2 x 88% WM, 2 x 93% WM, 2 x 95% WM

Week 3- 4 x 85% WM, 3 x 90% WM, 2 x 95% WM, 1-5 x 100% WM (depends on my energy level)

Week 4 - 3 x 5 at 50% of 1RM (220 for this entire 12 week cycle)

On week 11, the final set should be approached as a test to determine a new calculated 1RM for the next cycle. It may be a bit complicated, but I never feel tired from this scheme. My numbers continue to progress, slowly as desired. I have shared this with other people and they have all told me that it is too little volume to progress. I would like this community's thoughts as to improvements that could be made.

Thank you very much for sharing that Daniel. I would be curious to know what others think of it as well. It does seem low volume but so does easy strength and that seems to work well for most people.

Jordan.

I did a lot of Crossfit back then and it certainly helped my performance after finishing the program. Visually i was leaner.

Jordan, welcome to StrongFirst!

If illness was an issue, just be patient and strength will come back.

For an Olympic lifter it is important to have his SQ training fit into the overall plan.  Squatting too much has a negative effect on your quick lifts.

Thank you Pavel for the warm welcome and for your response. Its quite an honor and just be patient as I build back my capabilities

I am thinking that a ladder setup or possibly

or possibly the bear would be a great method in terms of getting stronger but being patient and mastering the load first with volume. What do you think of the program selection? And would three times a week be ok without interfering with my quick lifts? I have squatted as many times as eight days per week in the past. But it was taking a toll on me.

Daniel H, thanks for giving us a little background on your strength training, it looks very similar to a program I use (Tactical Barbell : week 1 -70%-75%, week 2-80%-85%, week 3-90%-95%). May I ask how you schedule your lifts? Do you squat /bench etc every session, once a week, twice a week etc? Thanks again for sharing your experience and great numbers!

I implement this scheme for all my "big bang" lifts. An example of a recent training program went like this:

Monday

Back Squat, Press (barbell), pull up ladders

Tuesday

KB Swings (~5x10), TGU (1-5 depending on energy level and technique breakdown)

Wednesday

Push Press, Chin up ladders, KB Snatch (~3-5X10)

Thursday

REST

Friday

KB C+P ladders (last cycle was double 24's), Front Squat, KB Swings (~3-5x10)

So, in this cycle I used my set/rep/weight scheme for back squat, press, push press, and front squat. I felt that by keeping volume low, I was not over exerting myself on the tougher days (Monday and Friday). I did the swings and snatches with very low volume just to maintain the movements while I focused on other priorities.

My strength background is that I was an offensive lineman, and I lifted to try to be the biggest and strongest man on the field. I've lifted in that fashion since I was 13. This included ridiculous volume in college due to my relative lack of size and many years after that. Only recently have I earnestly transitioned to lower volume following some serious injuries to my lower back. I also gave up bench pressing about 4 years ago because it caused my shoulders and elbows so much grief. I benched a best set of 365 x 5, but the accumulated intensity and volume over the years were just too much, and I had to stop. I will add that lifting like a football player, especially an offensive lineman, will make you stiff and relatively immobile. The focus was always pure explosive strength and being able to crush other people, back strength and development were woefully inadequate. I believe this is partially to blame for my back problems, and I am trying to rectify the situation.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom