all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fructose and fat storage

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Has anybody else had experience with low protein diets? Say averaging below approx 40g per day. Any impact on musculature, strength, endurance etc?

The research literature would suggest that you would lose lots of muscle on a diet like that. Especially in a calorie deficit. In fact, that would be the most efficient way to lose muscle. However, 40g per day is not low protein. If you are running a caloric deficit, you need more protein to preserve muscle mass.

The research literature would suggest that you would lose lots of muscle on a diet like that. Especially in a calorie deficit. In fact, that would be the most efficient way to lose muscle. However, 40g per day is not low protein. If you are running a caloric deficit, you need more protein to preserve muscle mass.

I was amazed that Oscar's fruit only diet was still delivering 37g of protein per day, whether complete proteins I have no idea. At 90kg I'm freaking out if my protein drops below about 90g per day and I prefer to see it 50% more than that, even more if I am aiming to lose fat. I would actually go vegetarian or vegan for ethical reasons, not health, except I am convinced my hard won muscle will melt away. Are those fears well founded?

I was amazed that Oscar's fruit only diet was still delivering 37g of protein per day, whether complete proteins I have no idea. At 90kg I'm freaking out if my protein drops below about 90g per day and I prefer to see it 50% more than that, even more if I am aiming to lose fat. I would actually go vegetarian or vegan for ethical reasons, not health, except I am convinced my hard won muscle will melt away. Are those fears well founded?
You may want to look into being a pescatarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian.

If memory serves, the US gov’t recommended minimum is around 1 gram per kilogram of body weight, maybe less. I’m remembering it as 55 grams for a 150 lb adult male.

1 gram per pound of body weight may help a person gain muscle, and if that protein is taking the place of unhealthy choices in your diet, then it’s an improvement, for sure. Most days, I have a Dale’s bar midday which contains 20-25 grams of protein, and then whatever I get from whatever I eat seems to be fine for me.

-S-

I put on about 20lbs of muscle on 90% veg diet. The non veg portion was usually a serving or two of chicken as an entre per week and a pat of butter with breakfast, the rest was veg. You have to crunch the numbers, you probably won't get enough protein if you just wing it.

Helps to have good tolerance to beans.

Couple of things. One can of Coke/Pepsi has as much fructose as 5-6 large bananas (ripe) to put it in perspective. Easy to drink 3 cans of coke but try eating 15 bananas!

Fructose is almost entirely taken up by the liver and stored as glycogen or converted to triglycerides (if glycogen levels are full). These triglycerides are exported by the liver in the form of VLDL cholesterol particles. Uptake by the liver is not going to be faster after a workout because the fructose transporter is not insulin or exercise mediated. Heavy fructose intake can drive up blood triglycerides but fruit consumption is unlikely to do so because you probably cannot eat enough fruit to make that happen. In any case, if you eat fruit in the morning when liver glycogen levels are low after an overnight fast, you will ensure that the fructose goes towards glycogen storage, rather than triglycerides.

Avoid sugar sweetened drinks (including Gatorade, which is just sugar water) and added sugar in processed food but eat all of the fruit you want. There is much more to fruit than carbohydrates (fiber, micronutrients, bioligically active compounds). Doesn't matter much when you eat it but morning is a good choice.

Great post!
To speak from personal experience:
I practice intermittend fasting/warrior diet. I often train completely fasted (usually have two big cups of coffee before training) but sometimes, especially if I my last meal was some 14-20h ago I have some fruit before training: 2-3 bananas or 1-2 apples or a big bowl of strawberries, something like that. I usually have another smaller serving of fruit (~1 apple) after my main meal for dessert and pretty much every day before bed yoghurt or skyr/quark (a German dairy product with a lot of protein) with frozen berries.

One more thing: I don't wanna burst anyone's bubble but "Forks Over Knives" is pure BS (just like "What The Health"). Cherry picked, biased and emotionally loaded. Basically zero scientific value.
Fruit is fine but I see absolutely no reason to make it the primary source of calories.

Great post!
To speak from personal experience:
I practice intermittend fasting/warrior diet. I often train completely fasted (usually have two big cups of coffee before training) but sometimes, especially if I my last meal was some 14-20h ago I have some fruit before training: 2-3 bananas or 1-2 apples or a big bowl of strawberries, something like that. I usually have another smaller serving of fruit (~1 apple) after my main meal for dessert and pretty much every day before bed yoghurt or skyr/quark (a German dairy product with a lot of protein) with frozen berries.
I had been avoiding the fruit before to try and increase my rate fat storage utilization for fuel. @Marc do you find that your training is better supported when you eat the fruit beforehand? When you say completely fasted do you mean like 8 hours of fasting before exercise, i.e stop eating in PM and train in AM?

One more thing: I don't wanna burst anyone's bubble but "Forks Over Knives" is pure BS (just like "What The Health"). Cherry picked, biased and emotionally loaded. Basically zero scientific value.
I cannot maintain this lifestyle, however there seem to be many that have thrived under it. I don't know about the long-term of course, but still there must be some positive principles at play even if the research is flawed? There have been times in the past where I've tried to go "primal" and focused on the studies that seemed to support the position I wanted to be true, so I could have my bacon and eat it too. So there's always the potential for personal or professional bias.

When I say fastes, I mean 14h at least. Normally I train some 12-20h after my last big meal. I fo not seem to notice a big difference in performance if a hace some fruit before. The reason I do it is simply to supress hunger for the time my session takes.

In general I dare to claim that most people are best off with a balanced diet with an emphasis on protein for active folks. Whenever you hear some food-nazi claims you can almost be sure that it is a fad.

I cannot maintain this lifestyle, however there seem to be many that have thrived under it. I don't know about the long-term of course, but still there must be some positive principles at play even if the research is flawed? There have been times in the past where I've tried to go "primal" and focused on the studies that seemed to support the position I wanted to be true, so I could have my bacon and eat it too. So there's always the potential for personal or professional bias.

The only real science behind WFPB diet is proven to reverse heart disease in a significant % of folks, where most other diets do not.

Other than that, I have to believe people would and did eat anything they came across, learning to heat, pound, dry, salt, ferment, and otherwise preserve and/or make more bioavailable every possible nutrient source. Adaptations to the local flora (and in some cases fauna) would also confer a metabolic advantage that likely play out in longer term advantages.

Eat minimally processed food, be it meat, fruit, veg, grain, whatever. I'm also a believer in organic when practical - anything to reduce the chemical load.

I've also learned to read the label on everything - was surprised to find the roll I was eating with my BLT the other day had more protein than the bacon.

Eat minimally processed food, be it meat, fruit, veg, grain, whatever. I'm also a believer in organic when practical - anything to reduce the chemical load.

I've also learned to read the label on everything - was surprised to find the roll I was eating with my BLT the other day had more protein than the bacon.
Thanks for the advice. Man, you should totally make this blurb a part of the one page nutrition section of the Kettlebell Hobo Bundle for Extreme Results training package!:)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom