all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fruits for Weight loss?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bobbo

Level 1 Valued Member
My goal is losing some belly weight. Is it good or is it bad to have fruits as snacks?
Although the sugar is not processed or added it is still sugar.

Eventually all carbohydrates will be broken down to simple sugar because it is the body's fuel of choice.

Nothing wrong with fruit for whatever goal you have unless you are some kind of food nazi, zealot or brainwashed by any stupid fad.

I lost about 10 kg, to my high school weight, eating mostly fruit. It works, at least for me. Fruit is not calorie dense, so it's not easy to overeat fruit

Hello,

Fruits are not "bad in themselves" even if they have carbohydrates, IMO. I've always eaten plenty of them, about 3 - 5 a day, all kind of fruits. As long as you eat the whole fruit to get fibers as well, it reduces blood sugar peak (carbs need more time to get in the blood and so the cells, so it reduces insulin secretion).

Fruits fiber also tend to make digestion easier

Kind regards,

Pet'

My goal is losing some belly weight. Is it good or is it bad to have fruits as snacks?
Although the sugar is not processed or added it is still sugar.

Weight Loss

It not so much about the food you consume. It about the quantity...

Calories In, Calories Out

Thus, the key to increasing or decreasing body weight is dependent upon being in a calorie surplus or deficit.

An excellent example is...

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University illustrated "Calories In, Calories Out" was the fundamental principle to weight loss by consuming a "Low Calorie Junk Food Diet"; consuming Twinkies, Cookies, etc.

Haub lost 27 lbs by decreasing his calories.

Fruit

Fruit is composed of Sugar.

Sugar is composed of Glucose and Fructose.

Most fruit is fibrous. There aren't many calories in it, fiber slows down digestion, and fill you up. That means it hard to over eat; as pet and oscar noted.

Thus, having some fruit isn't a problem.

Take Home Message

Any deficit diet in which your burn more calories than you take in will decrease your body fat/body weight.

Mark Haub's "Twinkie Diet" make that clear.

Haub went to state that he does NOT recommend the "Twinkie Diet" or anything like it.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
@kennycro@@aol.com, great if you're reposting the same thing, to post a link to your earlier post.

Twinkie Diet? C'mon. That is flawed in too many ways to list, starting with the fact that's a sample of a single person who seems to have studied himself.

-S-

I don't know what a "Twinkie" is, but it sounds like a pink plastic fairy...

Back to the question: skip the fruit, have extra green salad.

If you want to lose weight you need to consume less than you burn. Fats or carbs don't really matter, ideally reduce both.

The bad news is the weight usually comes off the face first and the rest of the body equally, so no way to target specific areas for weight loss.

Fruits are a great pick me up, especially if doing higher intensity or interval training as an adjunct to weight loss.

@kennycro@@aol.com, great if you're reposting the same thing, to post a link to your earlier post.

Twinkie Diet? C'mon. That is flawed in too many ways to list, starting with the fact that's a sample of a single person who seems to have studied himself.

-S-

The Point

You missed the point, "Calories Count" when it come to gaining or losing weight.

That is one of the fundamental rules of nutrition. It is the foundation on which weight gain or loss is based.

Haub's 27 lb Weight Loss

So, explain how Haub's lost the 27 lbs since it didn't have anything to do with a caloric deficit?

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom