all posts post new thread

Nutrition Frustrated

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris T

Level 1 Valued Member
So, I have been IF since last week. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Basically, I eat around 6:30 PM, my main meal. I eat a small snack around 1-2 pm the following day, less than 250 calories. Are there restrictions as to what I should eat during my main meal? I still try and keep my calories less than 1400 daily. I have lost one pound. Was two, gained one yesterday. What is average weekly loss. I really don't want to throw towel in Thanks.

@Chris T

- do not count calories - eat them.
- what do you eat?
- what are your daily activities?
- at what time do you go to sleep, and how many hours do you sleep?
- week is too early to see results. 3 months timeframe is better to judge.

Hello,

First, don't be frustrated. It is very good to start a diet in itself !

I still try and keep my calories less than 1400 daily
If you go from 3000 (that is only an example) to 1400, your body consider there is a problem. So it uses a "stand-by" mode. This mean it will do everything it can to save energy. Then, even if it uses fat / sugar resources, it will do it as slow as it can.

This explains your statement:
I have lost one pound

What you have to do (IMO) is to reduce very progressively your daily calories. This will create an habit for your body. It will not say "oh there is problem, I have to save energy". The tip is that the body dislikes brutal changes.

An idea : let say you daily calories (before IF) is 3000. You start fasting with only 2750. You do that for 2 weeks. On the 3rd week, you cut off 250 (so you are at 2500) and so on. If you consider yourself tired, you add 200 calories the next week. It will be your spot.

If you do not want to count calorie, you can simply reduce your portion and that is it.

I really don't want to throw towel in Thanks.
No you won't !

Are there restrictions as to what I should eat during my main meal?
Basically, you have to avoid junk food, cut off sodas, etc... Eat meat / fish / eggs, vegetables (a lot of) and some fruits. From time to time, rice, etc...
If you have no physical activity, avoid high carbs and high fat food.

So, I have been IF since last week
A weight loss is progressive. One week is very short. If you lose 4 kilos in 4 weeks or less (for e.g.) it is too fast and you will get them back. A good ratio is about 1kg / month.

Keep going !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey,

Basically I have eaten what I wanted. Yesterday, for my big meal, I had two enchiladas and rice with a few chips and guacamole. Then a sopapilla.
So if I are that, when should I eat next? That was at 5pm. Thanks.

CT

@Chris T as much vegetables as you like, and meat. Any kinds, vary it. If you want to loose weight, you have to cut carbs (basically most of what you eat), and add more fat and protein.

I will chime in here too. I started a Fasting lifestyle after reading Eat,Stop, Eat. It works but it will take time to adjust. Eat good foods and let it do its thing. I went from 1 day fast to 2 days fasting to now a Mon-Fri 20/4 IF and then Sat/Sun I do a 16/8. When I started 2+ years ago I think I wore 34" pants and was about 210lbs. Now much stronger but I wear 31" pants and weigh 190lbs and have a hard time finding shirts that fit right on my shoulders.

So the short version is PATIENCE. Follow your plan for at least 3+ months as @Pavel Macek pointed out. Then change from there if needed. The first month is kind of terrible but soon you will learn to love it.

Read Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. His version of IF is much better IMO, as it promotes integrating diet into your lifestyle (not the other way around) and healthier relationship with food in general.

Read it, do it, and keep it up. It's gonna take some time, but you know it's worth it. That's why you came here to ask for help.

I think this fasting thing for fat loss is over rated. Well that's put the cat amongst the pigeons. Looking forward to a right old battering for that one but being the hypocrite that I am do indeed fast myself, now and then.
FOOD CHOICE. FOOD CHOICE and FOOD CHOICE. The 3 priorities. Everything else is just everything else, ifs, buts, yes but no buts and maybes. Food v non food. Very under rated.

Yes FOOD CHOICE is #1 but fasting has many benefits besides Calorie Restriction. It is one of easiest ways to control insulin resistance and to get your body use to switching fuel sources from Sugars/Carbs to Fat.

It is not for EVERYONE but it can work for ANYONE. I tried lots of different "diets" and the fasting lifestyle was the easiest and fixed my HANGRYS (aka Insulin spikes)

Thanks y'all. Week one results: 2.4 lbs

I definitely can't go a whole 24 hours. I tried and wasn't hungry. My hands were shaking and I felt like I was about to kiss the ground so I ate a boiled egg. I'm still playing with the diet to see what works. So far just a small snack and a big dinner. I'm going to rotate days with and without carbs. I'm being treated today for a sushi lunch. Bar the doors. Lol. Happy Holidays!
CT

Fasting is like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. A 24 hour fast used to be very hard. After a year or so of fasting one day a week, it has become very easy for me. I am now upping it to three days a week. I actually feel unburdened by the need to eat. I think the key is to start slow and build your "strength" slowly. One thing to note, fasting on the weekend at home is way easier than fasting and going to a day job.

Also, coffee. Lots of delicious coffee while fasting. :)

@Chris T- try reading some of Georgie Fear's materials on nutrition- she has a good book, and lots of articles on www. She's more habit-based than a "diet". She recommends 3 meals a day, sizing them so you're legitimately hungry before the next one. This gives you the proper hormonal cycles/signals, as IF does, but timed more conveniently for many.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom